Big or small family?

15 hours ago, Allycat said:

I'm the youngest of 6 but dont associate with my family 

I don't associate with my father's side of the family. I only associate with my mother and grandmother primarily. Sometimes my grandfather. But that's it. I'm enemies with my half brother. My half sister never talks to me. I really don't get along with most of them. When my grandparents and my mother pass away. I'm washing my hands of the rest of them. No point in keeping someone around that pisses you off. 

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Allycat said:

I grew up with my mothers side of the family but I've turned into the black sheep of  my family

Sort of how I feel here. My mother always brags about my brother. She likes to talk about how he's doing great things and how well he's investing his money. How his marriage is going to do better than mine seeing as I got divorced. I'm thinking in the back of my mind while she's bragging and praising him "I don't want to hear this." she never brags about me or my sister. She always lectures me on my behavior, how to parent, how she thinks my daughter is going to be wild in 4 years with boys, and makes fun of how I'm inferior to my brother.

She has b*tched and complained why my daughter never calls her. I'm like "well, she sees you 10 minutes every other day and you always get on to her. You've become a symbol of punishment to her. She thinks you're going to get on to her and lecture her on som*thing that bothers you."  I was surprised my mother actually agreed with me on that. But then blames me for having her get on to my daughter and making her the bad guy. Really my mom does it to herself. My k***s are going to grow up not wanting anything to do with her. My mother has also complained that she doesn't have time when she's spent more time with my nephew, my sister's son, who is 3 then she ever did with my 2 k***s. She mostly just tries to buy my k***s by giving them money and giving them gifts. But you can't buy k***s. You have to get down on your hands and knees and do the work. Spend time with them for them to want to reciprocate.  I'm really sick of the favoritism of my siblings. I don't complain to her about it. I can't argue with her. She's really set in what she wants to do. 

I would like some changes in my life as far as family goes. My family members are long lived. It'd be nice if some of them would either to move to other states or just leave me alone. 

I have a very small family, both immediate and extended. My dad was an only c***d so there isn't anyone from his side of the family. All of my grandparents are d**d already. I also had 1 aunt who died before I was born who never had c******n. One uncle died when I was a c***d.

That leaves my parents, my brother, 2 aunts, 1 uncle, and 6 cousins still living. Twelve people total, so yeah, really small.

I sometimes get jealous of people with large families who are really close. It's som*thing I wish I had, but I don't. That makes me sound ungrateful for the family I do have, but I'm really not. I love my family, I just wish it was bigger and that we were more close.

• Star 1

I have a lot of family members that are just split up in so many directions. Parents divorced, new family, then repeated with one of my parents. I keep the people who meant most to me in my life, still call them brother or sister. I used to have just a younger brother & a lot of cousins. My grandparents had 4-6 k***s and never divorced. But because of my parents divorce, and even my friends who's parents divorced, I feel like it messed up my mind when I was younger.  What is family, what is marriage? So marriage in my mind is basically an overrated show, but really, look at my adorable book of people who I trust, love, and care about. Some may be of no relation, some may call them just friends, but yeah my family. 😂❤ 

All apologies if this sounds strange. 

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, brittniisundae said:

I have a lot of family members that are just split up in so many directions. Parents divorced, new family, then repeated with one of my parents. I keep the people who meant most to me in my life, still call them brother or sister. I used to have just a younger brother & a lot of cousins. My grandparents had 4-6 k***s and never divorced. But because of my parents divorce, and even my friends who's parents divorced, I feel like it messed up my mind when I was younger.  What is family, what is marriage? So marriage in my mind is basically an overrated show, but really, look at my adorable book of people who I trust, love, and care about. Some may be of no relation, some may call them just friends, but yeah my family. 😂❤ 

All apologies if this sounds strange. 

Families are not always blood. For a lot, family is who you make your family. 

• Star 1

41 minutes ago, OldGreqq said:

Families are not always blood. For a lot, family is who you make your family. 

...I looked up the definition...
Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 6.02.04 PM.jpg

So what you said does not fit the definition unless you're saying we all came from a common ancestor in which case, we're all technically family...

• Star 1

39 minutes ago, Onision said:

...I looked up the definition...
Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 6.02.04 PM.jpg

So what you said does not fit the definition unless you're saying we all came from a common ancestor in which case, we're all technically family...

That's one definition, and maybe your own interpretation, but it's not the only definition. 

Here's another one. Specifically 4a:

a group of people united by certain convictions or a common affiliation: FELLOWSHIP

Screenshot_20210717-214146_Chrome.thumb.jpg.bca5adc44d447467d2522b642152e0f4.jpg

It depends on how you look at it. The first part in your definition describes a parent and c******n. If we took your interpretation quite literally that family is made only by common ancestral, or blood, relations, then you're saying an adopted c***d with no known blood relations would have no family at all (known to them), which is BS.

Many people grow up in troubled homes, on the streets, in foster homes, and they have to make their own family unit. Family is that common emotional bond that makes people stick together and view each other as family.

From a sociological perspective:

Drawing on two sociological paradigms, the sociological understanding of what constitutes a family can be explained by symbolic interactionism as well as functionalism. These two theories indicate that families are groups in which participants view themselves as family members and act accordingly. In other words, families are groups in which people come together to form a strong primary group connection and maintain emotional ties to one another over a long period of time. Such families may include groups of close friends or teammates. 

• Star 1