Blow your paycheck?

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Kaitlind said:

No, I like to keep my money 😛

Most of my life. I've been bad with money and that's always bothered me. I wish I would have saved money back then. After being married for 11 years and having an ex wife that used to blow my paychecks. I decided I hated being broke. Emotionally, I felt better having money. It makes me feel "secure" that I have some tucked away. I'm 35. I'd like to invest for retirement some day. 

Edited by Terminated
  • Star 1

• Mod
1 minute ago, t********d said:

Most of my life. I've been t*****e with money and that's always bothered me. After being married for 11 years and having an ex wife that used to blow my paychecks. I decided I hated being broke. Emotionally, I felt better having money. It makes me feel "secure" that I have some tucked away. I'm 35. I'd like to invest for retirement some day. 

Yeah I've been broke before. It's not fun and made me depressed.

Just now, Kaitlind said:

Yeah I've been broke before. It's not fun and made me depressed.

My mother would make back handed remarks about me being broke. Saying that it's immature for a grown man to not have a dime in his pocket. That it's immature and impulsive. She'd really go out of her way to rub my nose in it. I knew she was trying to teach me a lesson. After all the insults. One day I just started saving. I opened a savings account and I've become much more hesitant about my spending. I realize I started a bad habit and it was very difficult for me to stop. 

• Heart 1

• Mod
10 minutes ago, t********d said:

My mother would make back handed remarks about me being broke. Saying that it's immature for a grown man to not have a dime in his pocket. That it's immature and impulsive. She'd really go out of her way to rub my nose in it. I knew she was trying to teach me a lesson. After all the insults. One day I just started saving. I opened a savings account and I've become much more hesitant about my spending. I realize I started a bad habit and it was very difficult for me to stop. 

Yeah I would keep going broke after paying weekly rent in a studio apartment I lived in and my dad would keep telling me to get a second job, but I eventually moved out and built up money again.

14 minutes ago, Onision said:

As I understand a lot of Americans live check to check. So… you know, money can be hard.

It is. I used to live paycheck to paycheck because of my ex wife. I don't have to do that anymore. I've been putting back quite a bit every week now into savings. I'd like to try investing some day if I want to retire. Where I work doesn't do 401K plans. 

I made a lot of bad choices when I was younger, to the point where I was homeless and living in my car, or couch surfing amongst friends. So yes, I have blown a whole paycheck and/or lived paycheck to paycheck. I don't anymore, and I'm very frugal with my money now because of the past situations I've been in. I have this underlying fear that I'll wind up there again, so now I'm a money hoarder.

No, because I have a family. I need to have savings in case I can't work. Did nobody learn ANYTHING from this pandemic? Now, granted my husband and I work in a field where we got OT like there was no tomorrow but if we hadn't chosen our careers, we would never have been able to buy our home in the middle of a pandemic or buy a new vehicle or even keep food on our table. We even managed to pay off credit cards and student loans to where our only debt is our mortgage. 

If only!

I got bills, they're multiplying!!! Its electrifying!! 🤣

I do put aside "spending money" tho! So if there som*thing I really want. I save up for it. Squirrel away $10 bucks here, $20 bucks there...it adds up! 

Now that doesn't mean before the bills, aka before the responsibilities of adult life, that I didn't blow my money! oh I dids! what a shame too! tsk! tsk! tsk! Not that it was big bucks but still! it was monies lost! Spent on stupid things! like video games! Magic cards! BOOKS! ugh! LOL but I probably do it all over again if given the chance! lessons in life! 

Boring bills first, then the rest I use to satisfy the book and movie nerd in me. I spend all my spare money on books and films, even over buying clothes. I'd rather sit in rags if it means I have a pile of books to read lol (sorry not sorry)