What Is/Was Your College Major?

So I went to college early as part of the running start program many years ago... I didn't really have a major and mostly just took English classes... anyway, what was your college major... or what are you studying? Why?

back to school college GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

One in four college student report that they are getting less than seven hours of sleep per night. College students are more likely than their previous generation to have a job while going to school. One in three college student report that they experience stress frequently. College students are less likely than their previous generation to identify with a particular religion. One in five college students report that they have been diagnosed with depression.

I mean... depression is common anyway kinda right?

• Heart 1

• Mod

I actually went to college to be a preschool teacher but just ended up getting my Associates Degree and worked in a couple daycares as a teacher's assistant. Then it turned out it wasn't the job for me.

I majored in International Relations bc it interested me but I had no idea what i wanted to do with it and still don't...so I'm doing the only logical next step and getting a masters next year in Gender Stu***s which I'm sure will make me super employable 😂

1 hour ago, heyitskaitlind said:

I actually went to college to be a preschool teacher but just ended up getting my Associates Degree and worked in a couple daycares as a teacher's assistant. Then it turned out it wasn't the job for me.

That happens to a lot of people... they go to school for something but then decide that's not what they want... I know someone who trained to become a dental assistant and bailed, became a social media influencer instead... haha.

41 minutes ago, Sierra said:

I majored in International Relations bc it interested me but I had no idea what i wanted to do with it and still don't...so I'm doing the only logical next step and getting a masters next year in Gender Stu***s which I'm sure will make me super employable 😂

I looked it up and these are the kinds of jobs you might be able to have with a gender studies degree:

Administrator of a human services department
Advocate for victims of domestic violence and hate crimes
Artist
Associate director of a human rights organization
Business owner
Clergy
Communications consultant
Congressional aide
Coordinator of a women’s health clinic
Director of social service agency
Executive director of a foundation
Journalist
Law enforcement officer
Librarian
Manager of energy conservation
Novelist
Professor
Psychologist
Psychotherapist
Public health educator
Public relations director
Social worker
Teacher
Theater staff
Town manager
Union organizer

Some of those seem super random and unrelated. *shrugs*

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, TroyPonton said:

I initially wanted to go to college for film but unfortunately the college that I was accepted at only had film as a minor so I settled for English. I ended up leaving the next semester. 

Why not go back? Try again?

2 hours ago, Minty said:

I'm currently not in college because I'm not sure which college to apply for but my major will definitely be art .

What are your goals with that degree? Long term, what do you want to be?

1 hour ago, Onision said:

What are your goals with that degree? Long term, what do you want to be?

Well, my goals is to understand different  artistic styles and learn more about the background history of art. Tbh I don’t know what I want to be because I want to do different things (like sing, dance etc..) I see a big sea of many opportunities but I’m all over the place and Its hard for me stay focus on one thing. One day I would like to have my own art museum 🙂

I took the psychology/sociology route. The dumb problem with that  with me is that yes i wanted to learn about myself more. But i more so wanted to learn about other people and places. I wanted to help those in the school system that were having a hard time. I had to leave college due to the location, and the separation of who I was seeing.  I really want to get back to it. 

• Heart 1
  • Star 1

Computer science with a specialization in software engineering. I took learn to code too seriously lol I've almost got my associates but I'm going to go nonstop till I get my bachelor's, then maybe go balls to the wall and work while I get my masters 

Long term I just find computers hella interesting. I'd like to make my own apps and stuff at some point, but it's a field that I can work anywhere I want and make a decent paycheck. Ultimately it's just something I like that also happens to be a fairly lucrative career 🥰