Elder Scrolls Online!

I have been asked and so shall deliver anxiety be darned.

My love affair for the MMO started at release, which to be fair was pretty rough. When the game first launched you were restricted into three factions and could not group with others. The world had set levels to zones so exploration (which is a major part of the elder scrolls single player games!) was pretty hard to do unless you wanted to be camped by mobs double your level while trying to go down a road. Zenimax also had this weird idea that everyone who played the game and wanted to play the game was SUPER into PvP, so the bulk of the end game was Cyrodiil which is a massive zone full of faction vs faction siege combat. Fun in theory, but Aldmeri Dominion tends to dominate all of the campaigns, so if you are one of the other two factions (Daggerfall Covenant and Ebonheart Pact) you won't have a really good time unless you get into a zerg group. The other option for end game at level cap was to either do Craglorn (group overworld zone) or to do the other factions storylines. Then came....the Imperial City DLC which focused on PvP while mixing in a PvE campaign story line. Well let me tell you, it's very annoying to try to be killing a boss for a quest for the story line only to have someone who focuses on PvP and gears accordingly to nuke you down while you can do nothing about it.

Why do I mention all this bad stuff if I love the game? Well, mentioning the bad makes the good even better by comparison in my opinion. In 2016 came an update called One Tamriel, now instead of being restricted to the zones of your faction you could go anywhere you want in any order you want! Everything scaled to you! It was such a good update it revitalized the game for me. The nerfing of overworld content that came along with this was also good in my opinion, there is already hard content in the form of Trials and Vet Dungeons, let people who want to play for story play for story. Coming soon after in 2017 was Morrowind! The expansion that made me fall in love with the game again! A zone that old timer single player fans have wanted forever, sure mainland Morrowind was already in the game in the form of Stonefalls and Deshaan but now we could go back to Vvardenfell!

But for me personally where the game really shines is the ability to solo just about anything except Trials. If you follow a really good solo play build you can solo even Vet Dungeons which especially in the DLC can be incredibly hard. I've always been shy about joining groups in MMOs and the ability to just go full solo is a blessing. Even better with the new companions system! So between my two pets from being a sorcerer I get an NPC companion to follow me everywhere and either dps, heal, or tank for me. Sorry for being incredibly long winded and perhaps a bit on the infodump side.

TL;DR: Game good. Love being able to be a loner but still access high end content. Example of developers actually listening to their players.

• Star 1

To be honest. I tried and put a few hours into ESO. 

As far as game play went. It was nothing like Morrowind, Oblivion, or Skyrim at all.

It didn't feel like a true sequel/ prequel in the franchise to me. 

On 6/19/2021 at 3:35 PM, t*rminated said:

To be honest. I tried and put a few hours into ESO. 

As far as game play went. It was nothing like Morrowind, Oblivion, or Skyrim at all.

It didn't feel like a true sequel/ prequel in the franchise to me. 

Did you play it when it first came out or was this recent?