education for free?

In most countries in the world today, education is not free. While compulsory education might be free, access to higher education often comes at a cost. Proponents often argue that free education contributes to greater equality among the population, since access to school does not depend on income.

In countries like Sweden, where all education is free, some have argued that this should not be the case. Opponents have claimed that only certain types of education should be free, and that "nonsensical" courses and programmes at university should be financed by those who wish to study them.

What do you think? Should education be free? Why?

In an ideal world, education should be free, because even in these 'non-sensical' courses, you are still learning core skills that can help you secure a job later on in life. A lot of degrees require written work, so you have to learn to write eloquently, do your research, give accurate references etc. These skills are transferrable across so many other careers apart from the specific degree you have chosen. The student loans are ridiculous and are only increasing in price each year. It's just an easy way for the government to get extra money, in my opinion, rather than directing more funding to education, they expect us to pay it off instead. Because they can. Just like they're putting extra tax on sugary drinks, and increasing prices of plastic bags, not for the better of the environment, just more money in taxes.  

I think what also is important is the value of what is within the education that we have today as well. Keeping people in the dark about certain topics of life within education is not fair and should be enhanced as well. Maybe that is just me though.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Onision said:

Do you want the average person to be better informed? Yes. Yes bro... god.

Lol...

College will never be free. They're in the business of ripping off & getting young people to sign up for student loans and giving them a degree that they can't get a job with.  That's most people. When you go into college. You need to know for SURE what career you're choosing and get those classes. Make sure that career pays a sh*it load of money. If you don't know what you want to be. Don't go. You'll just waste your time and end up owing more or having to take out a student loan. I've had pay those debts for someone. It's not fun. I've had to help my ex wife pay up on some of her student loans. Even if you owe. The college you went to will pressure you to pay it. She got sued twice over it. 

Edited by Terminated

My thoughts are that education does cost too much, and the cost keeps getting higher every year. But I also feel that if it were completely free, people wouldn't take it as seriously if they had to work for it, if that makes any sense? I'm not sure what the solution would be, but I don't think having completely free education is the answer either. Nothing in life is ever free, so I think we would all pay for it through higher taxes and whatnot, regardless if we took advantage of it or not. 

On 7/6/2021 at 3:18 PM, t*rminated said:

College will never be free. They're in the business of ripping off & getting young people to sign up for student loans and giving them a degree that they can't get a job with.  That's most people. When you go into college. You need to know for SURE what career you're choosing and get those classes. Make sure that career pays a sh*it load of money. If you don't know what you want to be. Don't go. You'll just waste your time and end up owing more or having to take out a student loan. I've had pay those debts for someone. It's not fun. I've had to help my ex wife pay up on some of her student loans. Even if you owe. The college you went to will pressure you to pay it. She got sued twice over it. 

College was free for me when I was in High School, I was able to go to college for free because of the Running Start program.