So I asked a robot, and apparently this is how you can know if you're depressed...

Depression is an illness that causes people to lose energy and have less interest in things. It can be tough both for the person and for those close to them. What causes depression? Depression can be caused by a number of things - such as physical issues, past trauma, chronic pain, or difficult life events.

A good indication that you might be depressed is a significant change in your appetite, weight, and sleep patterns. It is also possible that you may notice a change in your mood or attitude. If you are feeling sad, having low self-esteem, or have been experiencing feelings of loneliness and detachment for a few weeks, then chances are you are suffering from depression.

Seems like depression is a pretty all consuming thing... which kinda makes me wonder if depression is... uncommon? I'll ask the robot...

Depression is a common mental illness that affects about one in five people at some point in their lives. It can range in severity and some may not even acknowledge it. There are many myths surrounding depression. For example, depression is not just about sadness. There is often a lack of energy to carry out even the simplest tasks. There is also this sense of hopelessness and that nothing will ever improve. Depression can be debilitating and it's important to recognize the symptoms and seek help. -- It’s important to recognize the signs and symptoms of depression so that medical help can be sought if necessary. Depression affects one in five people at some point in their lives, but the severity can range from mild to debilitating.

1 in 5 people? Does that sound right? Have any of you felt depressed ever?

The Simpsons Depression GIF

• Heart 1
  • Star 1

That sounds low to me. I think most people experience depression at some point, but clinical depression is less common. The depression most people experience is situational and doesn't last forever, but unfortunately if you're clinically depressed, it can be managed but not cured 🙃 I have Major Depressive Disorder

• Heart 2

Yes, it lasted 3 days thankfully it didn’t last longer and I didn’t want to do anything or talk to anyone. I felt stuck and it’s difficult to pull out of it.

1 minute ago, Minty said:

Yes, it lasted 3 days thankfully it didn’t last longer and I didn’t want to do anything or talk to anyone. I felt stuck and it’s difficult to pull out of it.

Wait what? I thought depression was incurable...

Although recurrence is common, it doesn't mean this is permanent. There may be no technical “cure” for depression, but with assistance and treatment, depression — even recurrent depression — is treatable.

...yeah.

15 minutes ago, Sierra said:

Screenshot_20210607-003412_Chrome.jpg

I see... I've been told I have a variety of forms of depression - it is what it is man. I think if you think about the big picture a lot, and ask what the point is, you'll find yourself there in no time, scary place... unless of course you're optimism outweighs your questioning reality/our purpose yadda yadda, in which case, bravo.

4 minutes ago, Onision said:

I see... I've been told I have a variety of forms of depression - it is what it is man. I think if you think about the big picture a lot, and ask what the point is, you'll find yourself there in no time, scary place... unless of course you're optimism outweighs your questioning reality/our purpose yadda yadda, in which case, bravo.

Bestie I'm afraid to tell you this but a good amount of people are able to find meaning in life (personally can't relate but many can), and if questions like "what's the point in living" are common in your head, that is definitely a sign of chronic depression

I find myself to be a magician when it comes to this. & Yeah it makes me uncomfortable.  I don't want people to see, and know. Avoidance with my...issues....infront of others. I go home alone, and deal with my demons on my own. My therapist says to open up more in my own time, and maybe she's right. It's that...better said than done. Family and friends are aware of my panic ******s, because of my constant ER visits, my past self harm that put me in the hospital on my 16th birthday. They're not aware of my...other things. I don't want to burden other people, and I don't want to hurt anyone when I'm feeling the way I do. So it's...avoid, hide, "I'll be fine."

• Mod

I wouldn't say I have depression, but I have been depressed depending on certain situations that caused me to feel depressed and it would last for a little while. Sometimes I'll be in a good mood one day, then the next I would feel sad for no reason but it's not often.