Is Subbed or Dubbed Anime Better?

• Elites

If you watch anime or any foreign movies do you prefer sub, dub or a mix of both?

i like to dub first time watching it so I can see what is going on and get an idea for the Anime but I always go back for seconds with sub to get the full picture.

Hbu!?

• Elites
11 minutes ago, Leaf_ said:

If you watch anime or any foreign movies do you prefer sub, dub or a mix of both?

i like to dub first time watching it so I can see what is going on and get an idea for the Anime but I always go back for seconds with sub to get the full picture.

Hbu!?

Subs. Forever. 

But there are exceptions, like DBZ

• Star 1

Y'all are funny... so the problem with subs is I sometimes miss what people say, all while wishing I could just focus on the imagery in the film ~ Having to read takes away from watching the film itself as guess what, we all have cognitive minds, which means we can only process one thing at a time.

Eyes darting back and forth, aint as relaxing of an experience.

With that being said, I do enjoy both.

• Star 1

• Elites

I like hearing the script in the language the author intended. Sometimes translations lose cadence or rhyme or wit. Also, Japanese is such a stark and gorgeous and emotional language-- the way consonants and vowels are annunciated is beautiful.  Strangely enough, with anime yes, I'm a subs fan, but with video games I prefer English.  God, who ever cast Vincent Valentine's voice actor in Advent *****ren deserves a cookie.

• Star 1

13 hours ago, Onision said:

Y'all are funny... so the problem with subs is I sometimes miss what people say, all while wishing I could just focus on the imagery in the film ~ Having to read takes away from watching the film itself as guess what, we all have cognitive minds, which means we can only process one thing at a time.

Eyes darting back and forth, aint as relaxing of an experience.

With that being said, I do enjoy both.

If you don't know how to multitask just say that 🙄🤚 hahahahah

5 minutes ago, Sierra said:

I can't that either. I have have subtitles. If I have them I only read instead of seeing the movie or anime.

I'm lucky most movie I watch is English I can understand that. But when I watch movie that is other language I stop watching 😅 

So Yeah I watch my anime in English. 

• Star 1

I usually enjoy subs more. It feels more authentic and true to the intent of the creators. I've also noticed the voice acting is more likely to be better. However I also understand that dubs are a great option for people who read slow or suck at multitasking.

• Star 1

On 6/1/2021 at 4:44 AM, Sierra said:

Sierra, you literally cannot watch anime and read at the same time. We have cognitive minds. What that means is, we can ONLY do one thing at a time - what I mean by that is: If you are reading the text, you are not focused on the animation, if you are focused on the animation, you are not reading the text.

You might be like "I SAW WHAT HAPPENED AND READ WHAT THEY SAID" but the issue is, did you REALLY see everything? How do you know? Did you watch it dubbed, then watch it subbed and see exactly the same things? Same details?

The fact of the matter is, if you have to look at the bottom screen, you are MUCH more likely to miss something in the animation.

So dubbed is for people who want to see every inch of the animation without missing a thing, and subs are for people who really care more about the original voice acting/emotion behind the words ~

I choose dubbed.

I gravitate more towards English dubbed anime. English is more comfortable and convenient. I have in the past watched Japanese dubbed animation with horribly done subtitles. But that's only because the English dub wasn't available & that's what I had to work with at the time before the Funimation release.

Edited by Mr.Dawn