Cooking lovers!

• Elites

Covid shut down restaurants for so long that I haven't been a line cook for a while, but I spent a few years learning in the South. Kitchens can be so stressful, but the shared experience brought me and my fellow cooks close together. Made some fine friendships working kitchens. Also had my sense of discipline tested, and developed a useful s****.

3 hours ago, alex said:

I’ll share one recipe today, and it’s a taco salad me and my friends call ‘Haystacks’ because of the shredded “cheese” and lettuce layers that kinda look like a stack of hay, I guess. Idk. 
D3777596-C4BF-494F-B5B2-C9744D559F66.thumb.jpeg.07f4c60d453033a9d343d1de5d43d663.jpeg

Step #1 —> A small handful of about 16 Frito Lays chips

Step #2 —> 1/2 a can of *Bush’s pinto beans (or black beans), drained

Step #3 —>  A large handful of iceberg lettuce, shredded

Step #4 —> Either 2 tbsp. salsa fresca OR just 1 **Roma tomato, “diced” and mixed with about 1 tbsp. of diced white onion (optional)

Step #5 —> 2 tbsp. of Mild Chunky Salsa (I do Hot or Medium though 😈

Step #6/7 —>  A handful of shredded queso (Vegans, I use Miyoko’s shredded pepper jack) 

Step #7/6 —> A dollop of Daisy sour cream (Vegans, I substitute this for a scoop of Guac. 🥑 or just omit it)

*In the beans, I like to add a sprinkle of nutritional yeast and a sprinkle of saffron and onion powder for a vitamin/ mineral boost, and an extra cheesy taste 😋

**Most my friends don’t do this, but in the Roma tomato/onions, I always add a dash of Goya Adobo seasoning or like 1 vegetable bouillon cube for real flavor 😚👌🏼

Haystacks’ is a fun, casual, sloppy dish that’s also healthy, and easy to make in college! 🥰

2FF9CBB6-AEB6-439C-B36C-7ED6452DA86B.jpeg.f7b99616e00d183759f2200777ad0748.jpeg

Omg looks so good gonna try to make that! 

• Elites

Teriyaki Chicken and Broccoli

Ingredients

1 cup water

5 tablespoons packed brown sugar

1/4 cup soy sauce

1–2 tablespoons honey

1 large clove of garlic, finely minced

1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

2 tablespoons cornstarch

1/4 cup cold water

1 Large Chicken Breast or Tofu or other chicken substitute cut into squares

One pat of butter or butter flavored cooking spray

2 Cups broccoli crowns (steamed to desired tenderness)

Pinch salt

Pinch pepper

Instructions

1.      Combine the 1 cup water, brown sugar, soy sauce, honey, garlic and ginger in a medium saucepan and set over medium heat.

2.      In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch with the 1/4 cup water and whisk until dissolved. Add the cornstarch mixture to the saucepan.

3.      Heat the sauce until it thickens to your desired thickness. If the sauce becomes too thick, add more water to thin it out.

4.      In frying pan melt your butter or add the cooking spray

5.      Add your washed cut chicken or chicken substitute and cook well stirring to get all the pieces to the correct doneness (raw chicken is never a good idea to ingest please make sure the chicken is cooked properly)

6.     Add the teriyaki sauce and let simmer for about 2 minutes making sure all chicken is covered in the sauce.

7.      Add steamed broccoli and sir lightly to get a good mixture of everything in the pan

8.     Serve over white rice, riced cauliflower, or egg noodles.