How would you spend it

If you were given $10 million dollars what would you do with the money? 

I would donate some to the church. I would give some to various charities. I would pay my mom back and give her one million of it. I’d give my ch*ldren a million each. I would set up several CDs and trust funds. Then invest some as well. I would get all the tattoos I’ve always wanted. I’d pay to have a personal trainer and chef. I would get a better house and a pool. Get some Botox lol. It would be awesome to have enough money to be able to do random acts of kindness like pay for the person standing in front of me’s groceries or pay for everyone who comes to the gas station in the next 30 minutes I could buy all their gas, give 5k to a homeless person I see on the street, stuff like that 

• Star 1

3 hours ago, Kaitlind said:

I would buy a really nice house with all new furniture and travel to places I've always wanted to go to.

Sure would be nice to travel with you to places *wink, wink*

So who's a cutie?

Excuse me.. guess it's ok to be a bit silly.

Anyway, if I was very rich I wouldn't even need a house.. would like to travel all over the world and spend time in the most expensive hotels, restaurants, etc.

Would also like to give to poor people though, would feel too bad to live like that without giving to poor people.

On 1/3/2022 at 1:59 PM, Saraglittermepink said:

If you were given $10 million dollars what would you do with the money? 

I've kind of gotten to where I don't like answering hypothetical fallacious questions anymore. Also referred as a Hypothesis Contrary to Fact. And this is a wonderful example. My mother does it all of the time.

I told her during Spring of 2021 that I had my girlfriend drive us back to town because I was about to pass out driving. I was tired. My mother immediately asks me this:  "What if she would have had a seizure and wrecked?" Because epilepsy runs in my girlfriend's family and her mother and brother have it. My girlfriend isn't diagnosed with it and she has her license. 

This is an argument that puts me in a corner where I have to give her the answer she wants to hear. "Yes mom, we would have wrecked and died h*orrible deaths." And often with hypothetical fallacious questions, they are not real but the user puts them on a premise that they are real when in fact they are a paradox. They are about a false narrative that can happen to anyone and are easily used to win an argument and shame someone. But the person making the argument seems to believe that it is real, that it is possible, and has an imaginary high probability of happening. Fact of the matter is, it's not real because it hasn't happen nor could it ever occur. It didn't happen. 

My mother's opening argument is bullsh*it and it didn't happen. It was not factual. It was a fallacious bs argument where she is using an Appeal to Probability. It does not work. And still, the fact remains. My girlfriend safely drove us home and no one d*ied. So what the f*uck is her problem?

She always looks for problems to complain about such as wanting to argue about problems that do not exist and may never exist. It starts okay, then she starts in with either her superstitions about her beliefs or she starts nit picking at me with a fallacious bs argument and before I know it, we're arguing about "wonderland". I'm sick of it. It's magical thinking and it's a problem in our relationship. 

They're_Logically_Fallacious.png

It's really gotten to the point where I cannot talk to her about my life. If it's something good, she tries to turn it into something bad. if it was bad, she starts shaming me and proselytizing and talking about the devil. I don't want to hear her Christian superstitions. She knows I'm an Atheist. I don't want to hear yet another fallacious argument from her where she attempts to manipulate me into giving her an answer she wants to hear that validates how "right" she is. I'm sick of it. I've dealt with it for 35 years. I'm done listening to her magical thinking. Why can't she and I just have a pleasant conversation? That's right, she's unable to do that. That would be asking a lot from her. 

I'm sick of being in relationships with people where they build this narrative where they're always right and you're always wrong no matter what you do. 

Edited by Hitchens

2 hours ago, Hitchens said:

It's really gotten to the point where I cannot talk to her about my life. If it's something good, she tries to turn it into something bad. if it was bad, she starts shaming me and proselytizing and talking about the devil. I don't want to hear her Christian superstitions. She knows I'm an Atheist. I don't want to hear yet another fallacious argument from her where she attempts to manipulate me into giving her an answer she wants to hear that validates how "right" she is. I'm sick of it. I've dealt with it for 35 years. I'm done listening to her magical thinking. Why can't she and I just have a pleasant conversation? That's right, she's unable to do that. That would be asking a lot from her. 

I'm sick of being in relationships with people where they build this narrative where they're always right and you're always wrong no matter what you do. 

Talking about the devil? Uh, that's not good.. makes it extremely difficult to have a rational conversation.

Guess there's not much you can do besides taking distance from her. Since it seems to be hopeless to come to agreements.

• Star 1

5 hours ago, Hitchens said:

I've kind of gotten to where I don't like answering hypothetical fallacious questions anymore. Also referred as a Hypothesis Contrary to Fact. And this is a wonderful example. My mother does it all of the time.

I told her during Spring of 2021 that I had my girlfriend drive us back to town because I was about to pass out driving. I was tired. My mother immediately asks me this:  "What if she would have had a seizure and wrecked?" Because epilepsy runs in my girlfriend's family and her mother and brother have it. My girlfriend isn't diagnosed with it and she has her license. 

This is an argument that puts me in a corner where I have to give her the answer she wants to hear. "Yes mom, we would have wrecked and died h*orrible deaths." And often with hypothetical fallacious questions, they are not real but the user puts them on a premise that they are real when in fact they are a paradox. They are about a false narrative that can happen to anyone and are easily used to win an argument and shame someone. But the person making the argument seems to believe that it is real, that it is possible, and has an imaginary high probability of happening. Fact of the matter is, it's not real because it hasn't happen nor could it ever occur. It didn't happen. 

My mother's opening argument is bullsh*it and it didn't happen. It was not factual. It was a fallacious bs argument where she is using an Appeal to Probability. It does not work. And still, the fact remains. My girlfriend safely drove us home and no one d*ied. So what the f*uck is her problem?

She always looks for problems to complain about such as wanting to argue about problems that do not exist and may never exist. It starts okay, then she starts in with either her superstitions about her beliefs or she starts nit picking at me with a fallacious bs argument and before I know it, we're arguing about "wonderland". I'm sick of it. It's magical thinking and it's a problem in our relationship. 

They're_Logically_Fallacious.png

I’m not trying to shame or manipulate anyone. I wasn’t trying to force any sort of “right answer “ or upset anyone in anyway. I’ve sometimes wondered what I would do if I was rich and I just thought it would be interesting to see what other people would do. My question did not come with any ill intention or malice

37 minutes ago, Saraglittermepink said:

I’m not trying to shame or manipulate anyone. I wasn’t trying to force any sort of “right answer “ or upset anyone in anyway. I’ve sometimes wondered what I would do if I was rich and I just thought it would be interesting to see what other people would do. My question did not come with any ill intention or malice

That's not what I meant. No, you're fine. No issue towards you at all. 

I was just merely telling a tale of the aggravation I dealt with yesterday that my mother did. I'm sore about it. Thought I'd get it off my chest.  I know where you're coming from though. There are fun "what if I was rich" hypothetical scenarios, then there are the kind that I just described that my mother and a few people have used to try to throw my direction thinking they'll get an answer that validates their views towards an opinion that they have. 

4 hours ago, Danny Van Hecke said:

Talking about the devil? Uh, that's not good.. makes it extremely difficult to have a rational conversation.

Yeah, I was face palming the entire time she was doing it. I can't just tell her something. It's gotta go off into the deep end or off to wonderland. It's stressful that you can't go to the people you're supposed to trust. 

4 hours ago, Danny Van Hecke said:

Guess there's not much you can do besides taking distance from her. Since it seems to be hopeless to come to agreements.

Exactly. She and I are very different. We don't get along at all. I don't know where I went wrong but she sure loves reminding me of my screw ups and the occasional nit picking. 

On one occasion I quit talking to her for 3 months. Another it was 9 months. What is frustrating is that we take off where we left off. Every damn time. It never fails. She gets annoyed when ever she sees me. It got t*oxic when she remarried and every year after she just got worse and worse. 

Edited by Hitchens

14 minutes ago, Hitchens said:

Yeah, I was face palming the entire time she was doing it. I can't just tell her something. It's gotta go off into the deep end or off to wonderland. It's stressful that you can't go to the people you're supposed to trust. 

Exactly. She and I are very different. We don't get along at all. I don't know where I went wrong but she sure loves reminding me of my screw ups and the occasional nit picking. 

On one occasion I quit talking to her for 3 months. Another it was 9 months. What is frustrating is that we take off where we left off. Every damn time. It never fails. She gets annoyed when ever she sees me. It got t*oxic when she remarried and every year after she just got worse and worse. 

Do you still care about her? Is there a reason you still want to see her?

If my mother would be like that I'd say "if you keep being like that I'm out of your life".

People may say "well, she's still your mother".. but that's no excuse for such ab**ive, irrational behavior.

If you want to keep her in your life because you want the inheritance you can put up with the nonsense without caring about what she says.. one ear in, the other ear out.

That may sound cynical, but nothing wrong with that, if she gave you a lot of s***t you deserve the inheritance.

7 minutes ago, Danny Van Hecke said:

Do you still care about her? Is there a reason you still want to see her?

If my mother would be like that I'd say "if you keep being like that I'm out of your life".

People may say "well, she's still your mother".. but that's no excuse for such ab**ive, irrational behavior.

We spend a lot of time apart. I don't bother her or call her up unless it's an emergency (That's my rule , Not hers). I even opt out of some of the small family gatherings because I don't feel comfortable getting my a*ss chewed about something the next day. 

7 minutes ago, Danny Van Hecke said:

If you want to keep her in your life because you want the inheritance you can put up with the nonsense without caring about what she says.. one ear in, the other ear out. That may sound cynical, but nothing wrong with that, if she gave you a lot of s***t you deserve the inheritance.

lol I won't expect much. My mother told me a story about my grandfather on my biological father's side of the family. He made a promise  before he died, he promised that I would inherit 50 thousand dollars. He died. I haven't seen that money. According to her, he and my father were liars. We agree on 100% on her views towards my father. A lot of what she told me about him and about his family has been true. 

I have nothing to do with that family and none of them have reached out to talk to me. 

Some things she's correct on that I can agree with her about. But on other things like religion and being hard towards, we don't see eye to eye at all. 

Edited by Hitchens

11 minutes ago, Hitchens said:

We spend a lot of time apart. I don't bother her or call her up unless it's an emergency (That's my rule , Not hers). I even opt out of some of the small family gatherings because I don't feel comfortable getting my a*ss chewed about something the next day. 

lol I won't expect much. My mother told me a story about my grandfather on my biological father's side of the family. He made a promise  before he died, he promised that I would inherit 50 thousand dollars. He died. I haven't seen that money. According to her, he and my father were liars. We agree on 100% on her views towards my father. A lot of what she told me about him and about his family has been true. 

I have nothing to do with that family and none of them have reached out to talk to me. 

Some things she's correct on that I can agree with her about. But on other things like religion and being hard towards, we don't see eye to eye at all. 

Despite parents like that it seems you turned out like a pretty rational person. Not surprised you're an atheist (well, the name Hitchens already gave that away).

Consider myself more agnostic but agree our current religions are rather primitive. Am more interested in theories like this... 

Oops, gave the wrong link.. I meant this... 

• Star 1

16 hours ago, Danny Van Hecke said:

Despite parents like that it seems you turned out like a pretty rational person. Not surprised you're an atheist (well, the name Hitchens already gave that away).

I don't think I ever could take religion seriously. It was a complete contradiction to what I was learning in public school. I saw no empirical evidence, demonstrative, or objective evidence to prove that deities were real or make it to be a known fact that they were real.

Some of my friends and teachers even stated many times that neither God nor Jesus was real and that they never existed. I had a biology teacher say it and my social studies pointed out that had Jesus been real, he would have been an official historical figure and they would have had to teach about him in school. They can't teach about fictional & supernatural characters in history class. 

My father taught Anthropology and evolution. Something that Christianity tries to deny ever existing. Christians don't believe that there were other species of humans. They call them monkey's and that we didn't "evolve from monkeys".

I'm sorry. There's empirical evidence that we did.  

If anything, having religion forced down my throat at a young age has compelled me to reject it. It caused me emotional and mental distress. That's a*buse. Seeing as there's no evidence of any kind that deities & magic ever existed. I happily dismiss ALL of it. 

quote-what-can-be-asserted-without-evide

Edited by Hitchens
  • Star 1

2 hours ago, Hitchens said:

I don't think I ever could take religion seriously. It was a complete contradiction to what I was learning in public school. I saw no empirical evidence, demonstrative, or objective evidence to prove that deities were real or make it to be a known fact that they were real.

Some of my friends and teachers even stated many times that neither God nor Jesus was real and that they never existed. I had a biology teacher say it and my social studies pointed out that had Jesus been real, he would have been an official historical figure and they would have had to teach about him in school. They can't teach about fictional & supernatural characters in history class. 

My father taught Anthropology and evolution. Something that Christianity tries to deny ever existing. Christians don't believe that there were other species of humans. They call them monkey's and that we didn't "evolve from monkeys".

I'm sorry. There's empirical evidence that we did.  

If anything, having religion forced down my throat at a young age has compelled me to reject it. It caused me emotional and mental distress. That's a*buse. Seeing as there's no evidence of any kind that deities & magic ever existed. I happily dismiss ALL of it. 

quote-what-can-be-asserted-without-evide

Ah, Stefan Milo... already a patron of him for more than 2 years, also had some chats with him on patreon. He's a very cool dude.

One of my favorites is the video in which he totally roasts Graham Hanc**k.  

On 1/5/2022 at 8:29 AM, Hitchens said:

That’s such a weird thing to ask, especially when she isn’t diagnosed with it and I’m assuming she’s never had an epileptic seizure before. It’s almost like she doesn’t want her to drive you anywhere based on nothing except her having epilepsy run in her family?

On 1/5/2022 at 3:17 PM, Hitchens said:

Does she call you? I understand you trying to keep your distance by not calling her, but if she calls you.. you could be in a situation where you’re forced to talk to her. I don’t know if she’s the type to keep calling if you don’t answer or get upset if you don’t answer the phone.

4 hours ago, summerlusk said:

That’s such a weird thing to ask, especially when she isn’t diagnosed with it and I’m assuming she’s never had an epileptic seizure before. It’s almost like she doesn’t want her to drive you anywhere based on nothing except her having epilepsy run in her family?

That's what I took away from it. I can't really say anything good to my mom without her turning it into something that it's not. Because of that, I don't have much to say. Why when I know her answer is going to be aggravating or upsetting? There's no point so I'll just keep what I know to myself. 

4 hours ago, summerlusk said:

Does she call you? I understand you trying to keep your distance by not calling her, but if she calls you.. you could be in a situation where you’re forced to talk to her. I don’t know if she’s the type to keep calling if you don’t answer or get upset if you don’t answer the phone.

Very rarely. She'll text me every now and then and ask about the k*ds. There's been less contact from her since my brother & his wife had their first ch*ld together. She has a nasty habit of favoritism. She's had very little to do with my k*ids since they've been born. When she does watch them. I expect her to complain some time later about something. It never fails. She's really t*xic and irritating to be around. Because of that, I'm known in the family to bail out on her when she has get togethers. I don't like being around her. The problems I face is:

- I never know what kind of mood she is in. She's nice to my face and then turns around and b*itches about something that I said or did. She'll b*tch about my k*ds that she never sees. 

- She likes to take her anger out on me and pick fights. She has t*rrible anger. When something or someone sets her off. She rages for a whole week. She harps/ rants/ & raves to no end and makes everyone around her f*cking m*serable. 

- I can't go to her about my problems. She likes to v*ctim shame. I know that when I tell her something. She's going to say that It's my fault. She does the same bullsh*t to my daughter. 

- I don't like that she's a Christian and I'm still very sore about my indoctrination. After her near death experience in 2004 on a motorcycle, she embraced her religion. We haven't fought about that in a long time. She's judgmental and sanctimonious so I know me telling her that my daughter is bise*ual and is agnostic is a great way for her have a melt down. Then I'll hear a whole wad of bullsh*t with her proselytizing about how the k*ds need Christianity and her church's stupid superstitions of a skyfather and how their fictional prophet died for them and have all of that bullsh*t forced on them for their "salvation". F*ck that. I'd rather eat a bullet. She's worse about Christianity than my ex mother-in-law. 

- She's been very absent as a grandparent. Maybe that's a good thing given how superstitious that she is. She favors my brother and my sister over me. Always has since they were born. Nothing I do can change that. 

There you have it. They might sound like small issues. But they're constantly reoccurring. I just don't have a good relationship with her. These elements would have to be removed for me to have a non t*xic relationship especially her love for her Christian Skyfather. I'm not compromising. I've seen what religion does to people and it brings out the absolute worst in them. Like this religious bigot that I worked with & told to p*ss off. I wonder if his wife enjoys how controlling  he is. 

Edited by Hitchens
  • Star 1

1 hour ago, Hitchens said:

That's what I took away from it. I can't really say anything good to my mom without her turning it into something that it's not. Because of that, I don't have much to say. Why when I know her answer is going to be aggravating or upsetting? 

Is she only like that towards you?

I will say at least she rarely calls/texts you, because I know some parents call their k***s a lot. My mom calls my sister and I a lot and my grandparents do the same to her. She tells me they get upset when she doesn’t answer and will keep trying to get ahold of her, including reaching out to me and my stepdad when she doesn’t pick up the phone.