What Has Social Media Done To You?

Haiku

Has social media impacted you? in what way?

I get stressed out whenever I think about social media... everyone is screaming "look at me" and it just feels so... dumb.

I realize this is kind of like social media... this site, but this site is more of a conversation, not a profile page that says "me me me" like so many sites (instagram etc).

We're all... lame, in that way... none of us actually matter so... why the me me me crap?

• Mod

For me, social media causes disappointment and negative feelings. I kept telling myself to stop posting because I would keep getting disappointed that my posts wouldn't get a lot of likes/comments, but I gave in and started posting again even though I get the same outcome. I've compared myself to what other people have on social media and that's not good. It can be a tox*c environment.

25 minutes ago, Haiku said:

Has social media impacted you? in what way?

Negatively. Family getting upset over my views or what I post. So I deleted it a long time ago because I don't wanna hear any bullsh*it from them. I don't like people trying to assert control over my life. 

27 minutes ago, Haiku said:

I get stressed out whenever I think about social media... everyone is screaming "look at me" and it just feels so... dumb. I realize this is kind of like social media... this site, but this site is more of a conversation, not a profile page that says "me me me" like so many sites (instagram etc).

Yeah and a lot of people don't like it when you post on their wall  or message them because that's considered being "invasive". Because Facebook is about their "life". I thought the whole thing was lame. I don't want to see people I know on there bragging about how great they are or how their life s*cks. It's just aggravating.  I like Onision.net and a few forums because I can post what I want and I don't have to worry about someone in my life getting upset and b*itching at me about it. That's invasive. 

32 minutes ago, Haiku said:

We're all... lame, in that way... none of us actually matter so... why the me me me crap?

Maybe they're insecure and suffer from closet depression. They need Facebook and Instagram to feel better about themselves. 

Some people use it as a dating app for hook ups. 

• Elites

Sadly I feel as though everything in social media has pretty much turned into a thirst trap...lol Its like going to a club. Everyone is trying to be something they are not in the hopes of attracting attention. What makes it even more funny is that even those that act aloof and uncaring online are putting up a front. Acting as if they don't care, but there they are every day saying something to be noticed. I agree with Haiku. This site is more about conversations that they "hey look at me" thing. There are a lot of topics to choose from and there is no need to participate in all of them. I was a big facebook user. I took it and FB messager off my phone. my page is still active, but I don't post to it anymore. That is not to say that there are times when I wish I could post something, but then I think, WTH for? What is the purpose? My real friends call me and stay in touch. I don't need anyone else looking at memories and pictures that I create with my family and friends. In all honesty most don't really read the posts anyways. Even when you ask a question they just robotically hit the like button without providing input. I had always thought that was dumb lol. 

• Mod
42 minutes ago, Bruja626 said:

That is not to say that there are times when I wish I could post something, but then I think, WTH for? What is the purpose? My real friends call me and stay in touch. I don't need anyone else looking at memories and pictures that I create with my family and friends. In all honesty most don't really read the posts anyways. Even when you ask a question they just robotically hit the like button without providing input. I had always thought that was dumb lol. 

Sometimes I don't want to post anything because I get bored and think what's the point? I already quit posting on Instagram. On Twitter I feel like I'm mostly talking to myself and Facebook is just a good way to keep up with family and friends. I just give in and start posting stuff I want to share. It's the lack of interaction with people that makes me not want to post anymore. That's why I like this site because like you said in your post, it's more about communication and not trying to get a bunch of likes.

• Star 1

• Elites
37 minutes ago, Kaitlind said:

Sometimes I don't want to post anything because I get bored and think what's the point? I already quit posting on Instagram. On Twitter I feel like I'm mostly talking to myself and Facebook is just a good way to keep up with family and friends. I just give in and start posting stuff I want to share. It's the lack of interaction with people that makes me not want to post anymore. That's why I like this site because like you said in your post, it's more about communication and not trying to get a bunch of likes.

YEEEESSSS!!! 

• Star 1