When you know you're losing an argument?

Hitchens

My opinion:

Admit defeat in a calm way "Oh okay, I didn't know that, thank you" type of thing. Take a breath. Walking away can provoke more of an argument, or if you feel you need to, just explain "wow that was a lot to take in, how about a break for a few?". Then change of subject after that argument with funny or happier subject or question them on something you don't know about them "I like (blank) do you enjoy it too?" That sort of thing. Lower it down to still remain civil.

• Star 2

On 12/27/2021 at 2:10 PM, brittniisundae said:

My opinion:

Admit defeat in a calm way "Oh okay, I didn't know that, thank you" type of thing. Take a breath. Walking away can provoke more of an argument, or if you feel you need to, just explain "wow that was a lot to take in, how about a break for a few?". Then change of subject after that argument with funny or happier subject or question them on something you don't know about them "I like (blank) do you enjoy it too?" That sort of thing. Lower it down to still remain civil.

That's how I do it pretty much. If they present a stronger argument along with evidence opposed to mine. I admit to being wrong & tell them they're correct. Then you have people who argue pointless sophistry no matter how valid your side of the argument it is. You can't argue with an a*ss. 

Edited by Hitchens
  • Star 2

On 12/31/2021 at 7:50 AM, Danny Van Hecke said:

It's more frustrating when you know the other person is wrong but won't admit it and you're bascially talking to a wall.

I know people like that. They always have to have the last word and can never admit to being wrong, even if they know they’re wrong. Some people will even make up s***t and lie, just so they can win the argument. Insufferable.

• Star 1

• Elites
1 hour ago, summerlusk said:

I know people like that. They always have to have the last word and can never admit to being wrong, even if they know they’re wrong. Some people will even make up s***t and lie, just so they can win the argument. Insufferable.

summerlusk, that's one of my pet peeves LOL What about those that get louder and starts talking over and interrupting. By that point I already know they are scrambling LOL

• Heart 1