Extra guests

Saraglittermepink

How would you feel?

Im making Christmas dinner tomorrow night for myself, my mom, my two sons and daughter in law. Today (Christmas Eve) is my daughter in law’s mom’s birthday and she is spending the whole day with her. Then tomorrow morning she and my son are going to her mom’s house to open gifts. Normally they come back later to have Christmas lunch with her family but this year her mom decided she didn’t want to have to cook on her birthday and was just going to order pizzas for tomorrow. Fine. 
my daughter-in-law just texted me that her mom’s idea didn’t work out so could they ( her mom, stepdad and brothers)also come to our Christmas dinner. 
Of course I said no problem because I don’t want to be a b1tch but now I’ve got to go to the grocery store and get more food so I have enough for everyone. Now her mom did invite myself and my youngest son to have thanksgiving with them and it was a nice gesture but I really wanted this to just be my little family. She’s having alone time with her family today and tomorrow morning but now I have to share my time with them as well. Idk maybe I’m being selfish and immature. I have nothing against her mom, her stepdad s*cks but her mom is ok. I just wanted to have my own little tradition with just my family. I feel guilty for feeling this way 

• Star 1

2 hours ago, Saraglittermepink said:

How would you feel?

Im making Christmas dinner tomorrow night for myself, my mom, my two sons and daughter in law. Today (Christmas Eve) is my daughter in law’s mom’s birthday and she is spending the whole day with her. Then tomorrow morning she and my son are going to her mom’s house to open gifts. Normally they come back later to have Christmas lunch with her family but this year her mom decided she didn’t want to have to cook on her birthday and was just going to order pizzas for tomorrow. Fine. 
my daughter-in-law just texted me that her mom’s idea didn’t work out so could they ( her mom, stepdad and brothers)also come to our Christmas dinner. 
Of course I said no problem because I don’t want to be a b1tch but now I’ve got to go to the grocery store and get more food so I have enough for everyone. Now her mom did invite myself and my youngest son to have thanksgiving with them and it was a nice gesture but I really wanted this to just be my little family. She’s having alone time with her family today and tomorrow morning but now I have to share my time with them as well. Idk maybe I’m being selfish and immature. I have nothing against her mom, her stepdad s*cks but her mom is ok. I just wanted to have my own little tradition with just my family. I feel guilty for feeling this way 

I don’t know if I would care. I don’t host Christmas though, my mom does. If I had it my way, maybe I would want things to be different, but I don’t dictate everything so I just go with the flow and accept what’s planned. It’s not my house, so yeah. What we do is have Christmas morning at my mom’s (my mom, my sister, her boyfriend, and my stepdad). Then my stepbrother comes over whenever he wants, which is usually around noon-ish. It takes us a while to finish opening gifts, so he usually comes while we are opening gifts. Then my grandparents come over. At about 1pm, we eat, then my sister and her boyfriend go to his mom’s house for the rest of the day after we eat. That’s what my family has been doing every year for a while now. I will say that my stepdad’s dad and brother sometime come over later, whenever they want to. If anyone else wants to come over, my stepdad welcomes them to because that’s how he is, he sometimes just invites them over himself. My mom does take issue with that sometimes because she doesn’t want too many people over, but my stepdad is extremely friendly so he just welcomes everyone to come over.

My mom also thinks she has a bad immune system because of a shot she’s taking called Dupixent (sp?) which supposedly weakens your immune system. She is fully vaccinated, but hasn’t had the booster yet. I would be worried if she wasn’t vaccinated because I know at least one person coming over that is not vaccinated. I’m hoping her being fully vaccinated even without the booster will still protect her from COVID. I have heard that even without the booster, it should still protect from serious illness.

Edited by summerlusk

On 12/24/2021 at 3:15 PM, Saraglittermepink said:

How would you feel?

There's nothing wrong with how you feel. You're entitled to your feelings. The good thing is that you chose wisely not disclose how you felt. Because you knew it would cause problems for you. You did the right thing picking abd choosing your battles in this case. I applaud your restraint.