Why lie to Onision?

Hitchens

I don't understand why some members lie to Onision. He doesn't lie to us.

We get some people on here caught saying the wrong thing and when given the chance by Oni to admit the wrong and redeem themselves, they lie MORE or sit there and try to present a compelling story why they're justifying what they said and lie MORE. Which is really no different. 

Do those members think he's going to ban them? I don't think that's his intent. 

Why not just admit they were wrong and just come out and be like "I screwed up" and give an honest answer?

Then it gets dropped and we can all move on. I don't know why that's so hard for some people. It's easier just to admit defeat gracefully to Onision and tell the truth then put up a fight over petty lies and half truths. 

Edited by Hitchens
  • Heart 1
  • Star 3

10 hours ago, summerlusk said:

Why? Because people have too much pride to admit they’re wrong in general.

There's nothing to gain from lying especially on here. I have found that people do it for self gratification. They don't care what "we" think.

They just deflect, gaslight, or dishonestly play the v'ictim and pretend they're innocent of any wrongdoing. It's pointless. 

And if they're going to lie. There's no point in being here because they're just wasting Onision's time, our time, & their time.

You can't build friendships off of a lie. Liars aren't sincere or genuine. They're not fun to talk to. The sooner they learn that the better off they are. 

Edited by Hitchens
  • Star 2

2 hours ago, Hitchens said:

There's nothing to gain from lying especially on here. I have found that people do it for self gratification. They don't care what "we" think.

They just deflect, gaslight, or dishonestly play the v'ictim and pretend they're innocent of any wrongdoing. It's pointless. 

And if they're going to lie. There's no point in being here because they're just wasting Onision's time, our time, & their time.

You can't build friendships off of a lie. Liars aren't sincere or genuine. They're not fun to talk to. The sooner they learn that the better off they are. 

I don’t know why people lie. It’s just something people do in general. I stopped caring about people lying to me (unless it’s something big or serious) because I’ve realized that people lie about little things all the time and I don’t want to be mad all the time. The most honest person I know is my grandpa and people like that are always blunt and brutal because the truth hurts sometimes, I think that’s why people tell little white lies. My great grandma was the same way, she would literally tell you how bad you look in a picture to your face, lmao. She wasn’t trying to hurt you, she just always said her honest opinion.

Edited by summerlusk
  • Star 1

LOL... this is such a funny topic title...

I'll give you a reason to lie... if a lady asks you if she looks fat in that dress... yes, if you tell her the truth, she will cry, and that will make everyone sad... so maybe just say "You're beautiful and I don't think you're fat" and then you don't have to lie? I guess I just canceled myself out there huh?

But... I guess if she is fat, then you're screwed... maybe fake a fainting spell... lmao.

• Star 1

• Elites

As a parent I have read a lot of psychology books. I think people lie sometimes to impress others. Maybe they are unsure what to say and don't want to not say anything. People lie to fit in, to seem better or worse off than others, to cover up their past, and to try to impress. Some people are pathological with their lying while others think that what they said was a better choice than the truth and just being themselves. Some think that they are "starting over" and will eventually make their lies the truth. Some truly believe the person they tell people they are IS the truth because they cannot believe what they truly project. The human psyche is a strange and fascinating thing. There is also the possibility of mental illness. The same way someone can have ODC for example, others can just feel the need to lie. Outside the spectrum of mental illness which is a completely different ball park, do I believe any of those reasons are valid? No, people should be honest no matter how lame they think they are. They should trust themselves and others enough to make the right decision and if they get rejected, come to grips with the fact that it wasn't meant to be.  We all make mistakes, lying is a big one because its is a betrayal of trust. Part of earning that trust back is accepting the relationship will not be the same if it can be saved, admitting to being wrong is the first step in showing your intent to earning some trust back.  

• Heart 1
  • Star 1

4 hours ago, Bruja626 said:

As a parent I have read a lot of psychology books. I think people lie sometimes to impress others. Maybe they are unsure what to say and don't want to not say anything. People lie to fit in, to seem better or worse off than others, to cover up their past, and to try to impress. Some people are pathological with their lying while others think that what they said was a better choice than the truth and just being themselves. Some think that they are "starting over" and will eventually make their lies the truth. Some truly believe the person they tell people they are IS the truth because they cannot believe what they truly project. The human psyche is a strange and fascinating thing. There is also the possibility of mental illness. The same way someone can have ODC for example, others can just feel the need to lie. Outside the spectrum of mental illness which is a completely different ball park, do I believe any of those reasons are valid? No, people should be honest no matter how lame they think they are. They should trust themselves and others enough to make the right decision and if they get rejected, come to grips with the fact that it wasn't meant to be.  We all make mistakes, lying is a big one because its is a betrayal of trust. Part of earning that trust back is accepting the relationship will not be the same if it can be saved, admitting to being wrong is the first step in showing your intent to earning some trust back.  

I have a hard time trusting people again after they betray me, so I just don’t. Not trusting people protects me from getting hurt again. I’ve known people in the past that would do things to me for other people, lie to me for other people, not even for themselves. Then they tell me they would never do what they did back then now and I don’t really believe it.

• Elites
30 minutes ago, summerlusk said:

I have a hard time trusting people again after they betray me, so I just don’t. Not trusting people protects me from getting hurt again. I’ve known people in the past that would do things to me for other people, lie to me for other people, not even for themselves. Then they tell me they would never do what they did back then now and I don’t really believe it.

Summerlusk I am so sorry you have been through betrayal. (I have as well.) Yes, you need to do what makes you feel safe first and foremost. If you do not feel safe giving people a second chance because of past experiences there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. What happens to others is based on the choices they made and if they chose to betray you then the loss of your friendship is the price to pay.  Everyone has their own way of being and I would never suggest straying away from what works for you. I was just stating some possible reasons why people lie. This does not make them innocent of the pain they have caused at all. 

• Star 1