Christmas gifts for k***s

Saraglittermepink

I’m a mom of two wonderful sons, 21 and 18 and about to have my first grandch*ld in February. I always got a lot of stuff for Christmas and I made sure I did the same for my boys.  I loved seeing their faces on Christmas morning walking into a room full of goodies. 
    Please don’t judge me for this although I know I’m opening myself up to criticism.  
   As they’ve gotten older the gifts they’d like are naturally more expensive. You can fill a living room wall to wall full of toys and spend less than $500. You can’t do that when the things they are interested in a more expensive and my ch*ldren totally understand that. They do not except to have a room slam full of gifts now. 
 My thoughts though are that I probably still should not have given so much stuff when they were little.  I feel like I should not have set that standard because it did get harder every year to fulfill that and I know even rich people have been known to only give their k***s like just a few gifts each year. 
If you could(or did) have rich parents, would you have wanted them to give you as many toys as possible for Christmas when you were little and then tone it down as you got older or would you prefer them to have kept it simple from the beginning?

• Star 1

17 minutes ago, Saraglittermepink said:

I’m a mom of two wonderful sons, 21 and 18 and about to have my first grandch*ld in February. I always got a lot of stuff for Christmas and I made sure I did the same for my boys.  I loved seeing their faces on Christmas morning walking into a room full of goodies. 

Before I get started. I would like to offer congratulations on one of your son's giving you a grand baby. 👍

I think it's just natural that we want our k'ids to be happy. I have always felt bad when one of my k'ids has been upset based on the reason. It really messes with me. 

Please don’t judge me for this although I know I’m opening myself up to criticism.  

You're not alone. I've run into some of the same issues. After my divorce. I went out and spent almost thousand on my two. I did that because their mom isn't around and I guess I was trying to make up for her not being there. I just felt my k'ids deserved a good christmas and that'd they'd been through a lot that year. So why not right?

As they’ve gotten older the gifts they’d like are naturally more expensive. You can fill a living room wall to wall full of toys and spend less than $500. You can’t do that when the things they are interested in a more expensive and my ch*ldren totally understand that. They do not except to have a room slam full of gifts now. 

My mother spoiled me and my siblings. She has told me on the other hand that she regretted buying me and my siblings so much junk. And she's right. We didn't use a lot of it. We got toys we never played with and stuff we didn't need. I think she ended up donating a lot of it over the years as we grew up.

As for my k'ids are 9 and 11. My 11 year old isn't into toys or dolls anymore. She's into make up and talking to her friends. My son rarely plays with action figures anymore. He likes to collect cards and play online games on his tablet. 

And I have heard from veteran parents that teenagers want bigger and more expensive things as they get older and I get that. I'm 35 and I remember when I was 15. I wanted game consoles and games and this thing and that thing. They weren't cheap. I was very fortunate that my mother got me a used car.  I had to go out and get a part time job to meet my wants and pay insurance. I was a very reckless with my spending. 

My thoughts though are that I probably still should not have given so much stuff when they were little.  I feel like I should not have set that standard because it did get harder every year to fulfill that and I know even rich people have been known to only give their k***s like just a few gifts each year. 
If you could(or did) have rich parents, would you have wanted them to give you as many toys as possible for Christmas when you were little and then tone it down as you got older or would you prefer them to have kept it simple from the beginning?

My mother felt the same way.

But now she spoils my 4 year old nephew and I think it's wonderful. They're not going to be little forever. I think they deserve to have nice things. Life is short. You know, I spoil my k'ids and I don't regret it. As long as they're moral and respectable. I will try to get them what they want within reason. 

I think for being a parent. You want to try your best. You want to be able to look back after they're grown up and say " I gave it my all. I put my heart and everything I had into it."  

And that's exactly what I intend to do. 

Edited by Hitchens
  • Heart 1

17 minutes ago, Hitchens said:

Before I get started. I would like to offer congratulations on one of your son's giving you a grand baby. 👍

I think it's just natural that we want our k'ids to be happy. I have always felt bad when one of my k'ids has been upset based on the reason. It really messes with me. 

You're not alone. I've run into some of the same issues. After my divorce. I went out and spent almost thousand on my two. I did that because their mom isn't around and I guess I was trying to make up for her not being there. I just felt my k'ids deserved a good christmas and that'd they'd been through a lot that year. So why not right?

My mother spoiled me and my siblings. She has told me on the other hand that she regretted buying me and my siblings so much junk. And she's right. We didn't use a lot of it. We got toys we never played with and stuff we didn't need. I think she ended up donating a lot of it over the years as we grew up.

As for my k'ids are 9 and 11. My 11 year old isn't into toys or dolls anymore. She's into make up and talking to her friends. My son rarely plays with action figures anymore. He likes to collect cards and play online games on his tablet. 

And I have heard from veteran parents that teenagers want bigger and more expensive things as they get older and I get that. I'm 35 and I remember when I was 15. I wanted game consoles and games and this thing and that thing. They weren't cheap. I was very fortunate that my mother got me a used car.  I had to go out and get a part time job to meet my wants and pay insurance. I was a very reckless with my spending. 

My mother felt the same way.

But now she spoils my 4 year old nephew and I think it's wonderful. They're not going to be little forever. I think they deserve to have nice things. Life is short. You know, I spoil my k'ids and I don't regret it. As long as they're moral and respectable. I will try to get them what they want within reason. 

I think for being a parent. You want to try your best. You want to be able to look back after they're grown up and say " I gave it my all. I put my heart and everything I had into it."  

And that's exactly what I intend to do. 

I really appreciate that. It gives me as much joy giving to them as it does for them to receive. I think it’s ok as long as you are not turning your ch*ldren into spoiled monsters who pitch a fit because their corvette is the wrong color lol. I over compensated with my boys too because their father s*cked. I know money/gifts does not equal love and I was never trying to buy their love. I just wanted Christmas to extra special. My sons went through traumatic things with their father and like I said I know money doesn’t buy love and I know you can’t fix problems with gifts, but giving them a big Christmas was just ONE way I tried to show them how much I loved them and how special they were. 

• Heart 1

• Mod

When I was a k*d, I wanted a bunch of toys and would get sad when I didn't have anymore to open lol. As I've gotten older, I didn't care how many presents I would get. I really don't have much I want anymore anyway. The amount of gifts shouldn't matter. It's the thought that counts, even if it's just one gift.

• Heart 1
  • Star 1