Why Does Being Remembered Matter?

Admin

Countless people have attempted to be remembered... their goal was, once they pass away, people will still talk about them, and recognize the great things they did...

I'm just struggling to find how that matters...

What does it matter if people remember you? Or even care that you ever existed?

There are absolutely incredible people that you have never heard of... does that make them less incredible?

How does remembering them benefit them considering they are now gone?

I just don't get the ambition to be "great" because it's dumb. What does it really do for you other than get fleeting moments of feeling like you're better than other people?

• Heart 1
  • Star 1

• Mod

Idek. Those people probably just set themselves higher than others and think they're better or more important. You're right, what does it matter once they're gone? They won't know the difference. I mean I don't want to be forgotten but once all my family and friends pass away after me, no one will know I existed. It's sad but that's just how it is.

• Star 1

If you love the person. You won't forget they existed. Most people could care less about my existence nor I them. 

58 minutes ago, Admin said:

What does it matter if people remember you?

It doesn't. You'll be dead. Your brain rotting along with your consciousness that resided in it. 

Or even care that you ever existed?

It doesn't matter. Because you're dead. You're no longer capable of caring or not caring.

There are absolutely incredible people that you have never heard of... does that make them less incredible?

In death we are all equal. My mom said that. That's ironic.

It doesn't. They're dead. Their consciousness seizes to exist once the brain dies. They're not capable of caring whether we remember or not. Dead is dead.

I just don't get the ambition to be "great" because it's dumb. What does it really do for you other than get fleeting moments of feeling like you're better than other people?

You can be ambitious in your morals within reason. But not like my brother who is delusional & thinks that people are beneath him.

Disappointing to say should he drop d*ead. I'll remember him for the a*sshole he is.

Edited by Hitchens

19 hours ago, Kaitlind said:

Idek. Those people probably just set themselves higher than others and think they're better or more important. You're right, what does it matter once they're gone? They won't know the difference. I mean I don't want to be forgotten but once all my family and friends pass away after me, no one will know I existed. It's sad but that's just how it is.

Well, you don't have to think that's sad. That's just the nature of reality here. I don't believe in any religion but see reasons to think it's possible our essence could keep existing in some other place. And in some other dimension or whatever it is, you could see your life as an experience you had.

• Star 1

• Mod
3 hours ago, Admin said:

Better start writing on caves... then you'll be brought up a hundred thousand years from now lol

Oh true 😆

5 hours ago, Danny Van Hecke said:

Well, you don't have to think that's sad. That's just the nature of reality here. I don't believe in any religion but see reasons to think it's possible our essence could keep existing in some other place. And in some other dimension or whatever it is, you could see your life as an experience you had.

Yeah. I'm religious and believe I will see my loved ones who passed away again but it's still sad to think about death.

• Star 1

• Elites
On 12/14/2021 at 8:44 PM, Admin said:

Countless people have attempted to be remembered... their goal was, once they pass away, people will still talk about them, and recognize the great things they did...

I'm just struggling to find how that matters...

What does it matter if people remember you? Or even care that you ever existed?

In my opinion that’s just how some people are. Its part of their character. Same with people out there who like wearing gawdy u'gly clothes and j'ewelry. There really is no point but its something they want to have. I’m sure there things that are important to all of us that others may think is dumb.

Edited by Bruja626