Jump to content

YouTube removing dislikes


summerlusk
 Share

Recommended Posts


3 minutes ago, Kaitlind said:

Well you can still dislike videos, but the people who make videos can still see how many dislikes their videos get from what I read so then what's the point? YouTube should just remove the dislike button, period lol

I agree. I don’t know what the point of it was. The creators can still see the dislikes, what is the point of making it so no one else can?

  • Star 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Mod
5 minutes ago, summerlusk said:

I agree. I don’t know what the point of it was. The creators can still see the dislikes, what is the point of making it so no one else can?

Apparently it's supposed to bring more attention to the videos since people will only see how many likes they get, but if I was a creator it would be a disappointment seeing my videos getting more dislikes than likes.

  • Star 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Kaitlind said:

Well you can still dislike videos, but the people who make videos can still see how many dislikes their videos get from what I read so then what's the point? YouTube should just remove the dislike button, period lol

Or just remove the YouTuber's ability of removing the show of "Dislikes". If people have a right to like something, they should also have the right to dislike it as well. People can't take any kind of criticism in today's world.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Hitchens said:

Or just remove the YouTuber's ability of removing the show of "Dislikes". If people have a right to like something, they should also have the right to dislike it as well. People can't take any kind of criticism in today's world.   

And if a bunch of Karen's decide they don't like someone, they mob together and a**ack that person, they have you to thank for giving them, the idiot mob, power.

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Hitchens said:

Or just remove the YouTuber's ability of removing the show of "Dislikes". If people have a right to like something, they should also have the right to dislike it as well. People can't take any kind of criticism in today's world.   

You can still dislike, but how it is now is you can only see how many likes a video has and the number of dislikes is hidden.. when you dislike a video now, apparently the number of dislikes that video gets is hidden to the public, but the feedback is still sent to the creator. So I guess only the creator can see how many dislikes a video has, not the public.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The dislike button was a tasteful way for me not to have to make negative comments. If they are gonna get rid of the dislike button then disabling comments need to be removed too. You’re just rendering the point of both ineffective 

 

 

Honestly id prefer a star rating system. Because I use the dislike ratio to also see if a video is worth watching. 

Edited by Ghostie
  • Star 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Admin said:

And if a bunch of Karen's decide they don't like someone, they mob together and a**ack that person, they have you to thank for giving them, the idiot mob, power.

I felt equally the same about people that I knew posting stupid religious and political posts on Facebook that I didn't like. I wish I'd had the option to "dislike" those posts back before I deleted Facebook. 

  • Star 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Mod
4 hours ago, Hitchens said:

Or just remove the YouTuber's ability of removing the show of "Dislikes". If people have a right to like something, they should also have the right to dislike it as well. People can't take any kind of criticism in today's world.   

Well if that can be done, then sure. I'm just saying that no YouTuber wants to see their videos getting dislikes, unless some don't care and just like to create stuff regardless of the negative feedback lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Ghostie said:

Also wouldn’t it make more sense just to not let the YouTuber see the like ratio on their videos? If they are really concerned about mental health that would be the way to go. 

If it’s about mental health, then removing the ability to dislike altogether makes more sense, but people can still leave negative comments. It would be like Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook.. you can like, but you can’t dislike. Except with Facebook you also have “reactions”.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Kaitlind said:

Well if that can be done, then sure. I'm just saying that no YouTuber wants to see their videos getting dislikes, unless some don't care and just like to create stuff regardless of the negative feedback lol

No one likes "dislikes". But if you get a hundred dislikes in a week. Maybe you're doing something people don't like. You have to appeal to your audience. That's in no way okaying that it's okay for a lynch mob to come along and mass dislike your videos in protest over something silly that you're innocent of.  I agree that people can be irrational & stupid with cancel culture. But I just meant in a reasonable way. 

Edited by Hitchens
  • Star 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ghostie said:

The dislike button was a tasteful way for me not to have to make negative comments. If they are gonna get rid of the dislike button then disabling comments need to be removed too. You’re just rendering the point of both ineffective 

This point makes no sense considering Facebook does just fine without a dislike button - one they removed some time ago.

40 minutes ago, Hitchens said:

No one likes "dislikes". But if you get a hundred dislikes in a week. Maybe you're doing something people don't like. You have to appeal to your audience. That's in no way okaying that it's okay for a lynch mob to come along and mass dislike your videos in protest over something silly that you're innocent of.  I agree that people can be irrational & stupid with cancel culture. But I just meant in a reasonable way. 

If you are against cancel culture, you cannot be for the dislike button.

If people don't like something, don't f***ing watch it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, summerlusk said:

Facebook had a dislike button?

I guess I'm living in an alternate dimension: https://webapps.stackexchange.com/questions/15160/did-facebook-ever-had-a-dislike-button

Anyway, point is, Facebook DOES NOT have a Dislike button, nor does THIS WEB SITE THAT YOU ARE USING RIGHT NOW, and we're all better off for it.

Nobody needs to know about whether or not you (as in you, me, everyone), a total faceless nobody stranger, hate something someone else worked really hard on.

Just create your own s***t and f*** off with your dumb opinions? lol

  • Star 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Admin said:

I guess I'm living in an alternate dimension: https://webapps.stackexchange.com/questions/15160/did-facebook-ever-had-a-dislike-button

Anyway, point is, Facebook DOES NOT have a Dislike button, nor does THIS WEB SITE THAT YOU ARE USING RIGHT NOW, and we're all better off for it.

Nobody needs to know about whether or not you (as in you, me, everyone), a total faceless nobody stranger, hate something someone else worked really hard on.

Just create your own s***t and f*** off with your dumb opinions? lol

But people on Facebook are always begging for a dislike button. So obviously it’s wanted.  Sometimes I don’t want to cancel anyone or say anything tox*c, sometimes I just want to click dislike on that specific thing. Cancelling someone over one thing is so stupid. But it’s not stupid to voice a specific behavior or piece of content is no bueno. Not every egg a goose s***ts out is golden.  Also why is everything so extreme. A like isn’t love, disliked shouldn’t be hate. It should just be literally I like it, I don’t like it. Also isn’t the -_- face on here basically a dislike anyway? Same vibes

  • Heart 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Admin said:

I guess I'm living in an alternate dimension: https://webapps.stackexchange.com/questions/15160/did-facebook-ever-had-a-dislike-button

Anyway, point is, Facebook DOES NOT have a Dislike button, nor does THIS WEB SITE THAT YOU ARE USING RIGHT NOW, and we're all better off for it.

Nobody needs to know about whether or not you (as in you, me, everyone), a total faceless nobody stranger, hate something someone else worked really hard on.

Just create your own s***t and f*** off with your dumb opinions? lol

But those videos and opinions on Facebook, Patreon, & YouTube are being show cased to the public. Those sites set up comment sections with the likes and dislikes system so the artist or whoever can see what people think. 

I think it's hypocritical that it's okay when someone is getting millions of likes that it makes that particular YouTuber feels validated by that. But when they get dislikes and criticized for something they made or said in their channel. They get pissed. And I think it is wrong for that person to openly demonize  their audience or their followers just because they had a difference in opinion about it. That's the same attitude that we see from religion and political groups. They have that "If you don't see things my way then it's screw you. " attitude. That's just not healthy. 

If people don't like what you made or said. Figure it out. Improve and move on. It's normal to feel frustrated. 

I think if someone doesn't like criticism, opinions, or scrutiny on their work. Then don't put it online. If you find it self gratifying and it makes you happy and you're not open to hearing the opinions of others. Then people don't need to see it obviously. 

5 minutes ago, Ghostie said:

But people on Facebook are always begging for a dislike button. So obviously it’s wanted.  Sometimes I don’t want to cancel anyone or say anything tox*c, sometimes I just want to click dislike on that specific thing. Cancelling someone over one thing is so stupid. But it’s not stupid to voice a specific behavior or piece of content is no bueno. Not every egg a goose s***ts out is golden.  Also why is everything so extreme. A like isn’t love, disliked shouldn’t be hate. It should just be literally I like it, I don’t like it. Also isn’t the -_- face on here basically a dislike anyway? Same vibes

I don't see it as canceling anyone. Social media is promoting "It's my opinion or the highway". So they have to make everything "positive" because people b*itch and whine when their friends or followers criticize their posts or their work in the comments section. Cancel Culture goes both ways. Either the person posting their work cancels their audience or the audience cancels them. It's a two way street. 

Edited by Hitchens
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ghostie said:

But people on Facebook are always begging for a dislike button. So obviously it’s wanted.

There's a lot of people who beg for a lot of things... like a diabetic begging for sugar-sweetened beverages. You pointing that out is kind of... like why?

I'm sure a lot of people also want a "Give the person who made this video AIDS" button. LMAO.

  • Funny 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Admin said:

There's a lot of people who beg for a lot of things... like a diabetic begging for sugar-sweetened beverages. You pointing that out is kind of... like why?

I'm sure a lot of people also want a "Give the person who made this video AIDS" button. LMAO.

Okay then you probably should remove 

 

 

it’s basically the dislike button for here lol

804AAE6F-166B-4854-8BA3-6E1FA7421F62.jpeg

  • Funny 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I understand why people don’t want there to be a dislike button, but people can still leave negative comments.. so should people not be able to comment? What’s the difference? They can’t dislike it, but they can still leave a hateful comment or a comment that says “I dislike this, like if you also dislike it.” and then the person gets hundreds or thousands of people that like that comment, lol.

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Admin said:

There's a lot of people who beg for a lot of things... like a diabetic begging for sugar-sweetened beverages. You pointing that out is kind of... like why?

I'm sure a lot of people also want a "Give the person who made this video AIDS" button. LMAO.

Why AIDS? Why not Herpes?

  • Funny 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, summerlusk said:

I understand why people don’t want there to be a dislike button, but people can still leave negative comments.. so should people not be able to comment? What’s the difference? They can’t dislike it, but they can still leave a hateful comment or a comment that says “I dislike this, like if you also dislike it.” and then the person gets hundreds or thousands of people that like that comment, lol.

That honestly sounds way worse than a little bar of dislikes ^^;;

  • Star 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, summerlusk said:

They can’t dislike it, but they can still leave a hateful comment or a comment that says “I dislike this, like if you also dislike it.”

Because it takes actual effort to type a response. A dislike button is for lazy people who shouldn't be heard in the first place because they have nothing positive or constructive to contribute.

At least with a negative comment, there can be something helpful.

Anyway, would you like me to add a dislike button to this forum with your avatar so everyone can let you specifically know when they don't approve of what you do? Maybe call it the "Summerlusk s*cks" button, so you can get that feedback you seem to think is necessary when people feel you s*ck but don't have enough energy to outright say it?

I mean, you're all for the dislike button right? So why not add one just for you, so you can constantly be reminded of how much lazy people, who are too low-energy to type out an opinion, don't approve of something you say.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Admin said:

Because it takes actual effort to type a response. A dislike button is for lazy people who shouldn't be heard in the first place because they have nothing positive or constructive to contribute.

At least with a negative comment, there can be something helpful.

Anyway, would you like me to add a dislike button to this forum with your avatar so everyone can let you specifically know when they don't approve of what you do? Maybe call it the "Summerlusk s*cks" button, so you can get that feedback you seem to think is necessary when people feel you s*ck but don't have enough energy to outright say it?

I mean, you're all for the dislike button right? So why not add one just for you, so you can constantly be reminded of how much lazy people, who are too low-energy to type out an opinion, don't approve of something you say.

Wait, what? I’m not all for it, nor do I think it’s necessary. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think that, had removing the option to like/dislike been normalised, as onision seemed to be working on, we would have all been fine with keeping dislikes. 

Call me a cynic, but I'm willing to bet that some advertisers were getting weary of being associated with videos that were publicly visible as being unpopular, and that's why Youtube decided to hide it. Claiming the decision is actually for the creators benefit it, in my opinion, solely a PR move, and not the corporation's actual intentions

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...