Jump to content

Would You Stop Being Friends With A Biggot?


summerlusk
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Saphire Cotto said:

I think you don’t truly love someone if you can’t handle there’s differing opinions. People forget it’s not there responsibility to change the people they love. You can agree to disagree and move on. 

It depends on what it is. Like I wouldn’t want to be friends with a  r a c i s t  person, for example.

Edited by summerlusk
  • Star 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


3 hours ago, Saphire Cotto said:

I think you don’t truly love someone if you can’t handle there’s differing opinions. People forget it’s not there responsibility to change the people they love. You can agree to disagree and move on. 

Would you still love me & be my friend if one day I expressed h*mophobia,  took on more misogynist qualities, and wanted a nihilistic future for the world?

No? This is objective evidence that friendships are conditional. If I start doing things you don't like. I highly doubt you're gonna stick around and tolerate it. 

 

Edited by Hitchens
  • Star 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hitchens said:

Would you still love me & be my friend if one day I expressed h*mophobia,  took on more misogynist qualities, and wanted a nihilistic future for the world?

No? This is objective evidence that friendships are conditional. If I start doing things you don't like. I highly doubt you're gonna stick around and tolerate it. 

 

It’s amazing what people have said to me and yet we remain friends. Like during the crazy Trump era, I still had conservative friends whose values did not reflect mine.

You just gotta be honest and law-abiding for the most part.

  • Heart 2
  • Star 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Admin said:

It’s amazing what people have said to me and yet we remain friends. Like during the crazy Trump era, I still had conservative friends whose values did not reflect mine.

I don't think I've ever ended a friendship over political differences. It's always been over religious or moral differences. 

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Hitchens said:

I don't think I've ever ended a friendship over political differences. It's always been over religious or moral differences. 

I once listened to a dude ranting about how he and his wife loved god more than each other… I was like “bummer”.

  • Funny 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/2/2021 at 7:28 PM, Hitchens said:

Would you still love me & be my friend if one day I expressed h*mophobia,  took on more misogynist qualities, and wanted a nihilistic future for the world?

No? This is objective evidence that friendships are conditional. If I start doing things you don't like. I highly doubt you're gonna stick around and tolerate it. 

We’ll who are you in my life? I have family and friends tied to me that have 0 similar beliefs as me. I think they ignorant on a lot of worlds views but I don’t cut them out cause they can’t see what I see. I don’t bite my tounge when it comes to my opinions and there comes to a point where you drop it and move toward and break bread or whatever. Love is love and opinions change. I’ve cut people off that I don’t LOVE. I’ve cut off friends that believe the same things my dad believes in the difference is I don’t love them and I won’t put up with it cause they aren’t worth it to me. If I genuinely loved you and are friends we’re gonna keep rocking and rollin haha we’d have some heated debates but we’d still, be buds.

  • Star 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Saphire Cotto said:

We’ll who are you in my life? I have family and friends tied to me that have 0 similar beliefs as me. I think they ignorant on a lot of worlds views but I don’t cut them out cause they can’t see what I see. I don’t bite my tounge when it comes to my opinions and there comes to a point where you drop it and move toward and break bread or whatever. Love is love and opinions change. I’ve cut people off that I don’t LOVE. I’ve cut off friends that believe the same things my dad believes in the difference is I don’t love them and I won’t put up with it cause they aren’t worth it to me. If I genuinely loved you and are friends we’re gonna keep rocking and rollin haha we’d have some heated debates but we’d still, be buds.

What if they used racial or h*mophobic slurs? 

Edited by summerlusk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Saphire Cotto said:

We’ll who are you in my life? I have family and friends tied to me that have 0 similar beliefs as me. I think they ignorant on a lot of worlds views but I don’t cut them out cause they can’t see what I see. I don’t bite my tounge when it comes to my opinions and there comes to a point where you drop it and move toward and break bread or whatever. Love is love and opinions change. I’ve cut people off that I don’t LOVE. I’ve cut off friends that believe the same things my dad believes in the difference is I don’t love them and I won’t put up with it cause they aren’t worth it to me. If I genuinely loved you and are friends we’re gonna keep rocking and rollin haha we’d have some heated debates but we’d still, be buds.

You sound like my old friend Kevin. He's very unmoved by his friends beliefs & opinions. He's understanding and very loving and modest. He's always open to giving someone chances to right their wrongs. He's rare as a person.

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Kaitlind said:

I've never stopped being friends with someone for saying dumb things, but I have muted a couple people on Facebook for posting dumb things because I was tired of seeing it lol. I would stop associating with someone if they were hateful towards other people though.

It still depends on what it is. If you say something extreme and disgusting enough, it would be hard for me to let that slide. 

4 minutes ago, Hitchens said:

You sound like my old friend Kevin. He's very unmoved by his friends beliefs & opinions. He's understanding and very loving and modest. He's always open to giving someone chances to right their wrongs. He's rare as a person.

Beliefs and opinions are one thing. I think it’s different when someone expresses LITERAL r a c i s t or h*mophobic beliefs, like hateful views of them that MOST people (no matter what side of politics or religion they’re on) disagree with. Like extremists. 

1 hour ago, Kaitlind said:

I've never stopped being friends with someone for saying dumb things, but I have muted a couple people on Facebook for posting dumb things because I was tired of seeing it lol. I would stop associating with someone if they were hateful towards other people though.

Exactly.

  • Star 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, summerlusk said:

Beliefs and opinions are one thing. I think it’s different when someone expresses LITERAL r a c i s t or h*mophobic beliefs, like hateful views of them that MOST people (no matter what side of politics or religion they’re on) disagree with. Like extremists. 

 

20 minutes ago, summerlusk said:

What if they used racial or h*mophobic slurs? 

I understand what you mean I’ve wanted to cut people off for being ****** and h*mophobic especially being a m***rity gay woman. I’m gonna be real my grandfather was ****** and h*mophobic and I grew up loving him so much he raised me. i would just roll my eyes when he would say ****** and h*mophobic things not knowing how to cope with my feelings. When he died I reflected on why he got away with saying things even if we hated and disagreed with the crap he said. The fact is he's sick. ****** and h*mophobic people are hateful cause They want to direct there pain and suffering on to others. My grandfathers life was s***t he was growing up in greace when Germany took over. He would walk through Fields of Dead bodies to go to school. He’s seen friends get blown up to literal pieces because they stepped on a bomb. His mom almost got hung in the middle of the town because she stole bread from the German soldiers who were hoarding all the food leading his people to starve. he had four brothers and sisters d*e because they didn’t have enough food literally because of Hitler. My grandfather STILL said Hitler had the right idea. Even after all of the suffering even after seeing directly what happened to his family and his loved ones. He was literally sick and there is nothing that anyone could tell him. He wouldn't have understood because his brain was scrambled.  ****** people are hypocrites he married a Puerto Rican woman he was literally insane I don’t know how else to put this into words. I loved him and honestly, I loathe him now and have a lot of resentment now because of all that he put us through and the fact he hated people like me. I still f***ing love him and I can’t help it I cannot help who I love. I saw the beauty in that piece of s***t. But more importantly, I feel like I understood why he was like this. I still have h*mophobic and ****** people around me who love me which is hilarious because they’re hypocrites and they are sick and it’s sad. 

  • Star 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Once knew a dude who was a para-commando, it wasn't a close friend but we used to go to the same school so sometimes we still had a drink in a bar when we met in the city.

After he went on a mission in Bosnia he wasn't the same person anymore. We walked to a bar and a young k*d from Morocco passed by us.. he shouted "you should get gassed, go hang yourself".

Needless to say that made me very uncomfortable. After that I quickly went the other direction when I saw him coming.

  • Blank 1
  • Star 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Danny Van Hecke said:

Once knew a dude who was a para-commando, it wasn't a close friend but we used to go to the same school so sometimes we still had a drink in a bar when we met in the city.

After he went on a mission in Bosnia he wasn't the same person anymore. We walked to a bar and a young k*d from Morocco passed by us.. he shouted "you should get gassed, go hang yourself".

Needless to say that made me very uncomfortable. After that I quickly went the other direction when I saw him coming.

Just wow. WTF is wrong with people?!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/4/2021 at 11:16 AM, summerlusk said:

Beliefs and opinions are one thing. I think it’s different when someone expresses LITERAL r a c i s t or h*mophobic beliefs, like hateful views of them that MOST people (no matter what side of politics or religion they’re on) disagree with. Like extremists. 

I've always felt a majority of opinions were based off of the beliefs of the person they were coming from. Like how "most" Christians are against h*mose*uality. There are a total of 7 scriptures in the Bible that express h*mophobia. But that's okay. Sleeping with your brother is totally fine. There's 15 quotes in the Bible about characters screwing their siblings lol. 

I've actually experimented with this back when I was in high school.  I had a gay friend named Chris and I wanted to get a reaction out of my "Christian" acquaintance, whose name was Derek. He hadn't met Chris. We hung out together very briefly. Derek couldn't deal with it. Lets just say that Derek didn't like Chris when he found out he was gay that day. He quit talking to him immediately & treated him like he was a disease. Chris didn't understand why Derek didn't like him that is until I told Chris why at which point Chris said "his loss". 

I don't know why Christians think just because someone is gay that means they're gonna get a*ss r*aped by them or something. 

My brother, who is Baptist, expressed h*mophobia by making wise cracks about it. He actually s*exually h***ssed a guy that had been in the navy at our place of employment. He was rubbing Danny's shoulders and whispering f**got in his ear.  When confronted my brother laughed and said he was joking. But Danny thr***ened to sue him if he didn't stop it. He kept laughing and I said, "You think it's a joke now. You won't think it's so funny when they find you guilty in a lawsuit and you have to pay. I'll testify so knock it off."

I can't f*ucking stand my brother. He's assaulted people and according to the finance manager, he's caused 6 potential lawsuit cases. They won't fire him because he's really good at his job. 

The finance manager that I work with is a fellow Atheist. He said my brother being a Christian is a joke and he laughed. Because we both think he's immoral and my brother acts all sanctimonious and puts himself on a pedestal. I can't stand him at all. He thinks religion & praying to a sky father makes him better than everyone and that's a load of bullsh*it. It doesn't make him better. Sure, lets go wrong people and then go "pray" for forgiveness from a sky daddy. That's makes it okay. Sure. 

He should be asking those that he's wronged like myself & Danny for forgiveness. Not some imaginary guy in the sky that doesn't exist.  

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Depends. Sometimes ideas are ingrained in people and they can overcome it. So my litmus test is that bigot behavior isn’t allowed around me. If you can keep it out of my space and can treat all my other loved ones with the respect they deserve (even when I’m not watching) you’re allowed in my life despite whatever bs talk spews out of your mouth. I value the walk way more than talk. So many people will say all the right things but then their actions are atrocious. 
 

however judging by the walk not the talk has lost me a lot of “friends” since actual friends who deserve that title are hard to come by 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...