Who matters most to you?

Hitchens

My Auntie is my go to. She has been for as long as I can remember. When I was growing up I used to spend every weekend with her, she's 70 now and lives next door to me. She's lived an amazing life, not always easy but she's always been positive and kind. I really admire her, I honestly don't know where I would be without her. 

• Star 1

• Elites

The person who matters to me most is my mother. She was a single mom who worked three jobs to make sure our needs were met. We struggled a lot. She raised my brother and I on a 5th grade education. We toggled through having an absent dad who came to see us occasionally or would say he was coming and didn't show up and through all that we both still loved him.  We had been homeless, lived in crappy apartments throughout New York, we were never allowed to go anywhere or do anything  because all the places we lived were dangerous. And even still I think she did an awesome job doing the best with what she had to work with. It wasn't all bad though. We were her motivation to get better paying work and be able to have a lot of the things we wanted as we got older. That woman never slept. She taught us to care for ourselves and as latchkey k***s we knew how to keep the house clean, prepare our own meals and keep to ourselves. During summer vacation she would would take us out to Coney Island which she would spend all winter saving up for with her friends and we always went as a large group on the subway with our flipflops on our feet, our swimsuits under our clothes and our hearts racing with excitement as Coney Island was our favorite place to be. We always went twice a month during the summertime. We'd leave at about 4am Saturday morning and not come back home until 1am the next morning. Now she is older and its my turn to take care of her and for the past three years I have been. My husband and I had an in-laws quarters built for her in our bas*****nt with her own separate entrance so she still feel independent but still has us close by to spend time with. My dad passed away when I was in my mid 20's and I was devasted when that happened. Although my father did not make the same sacrifices my mom did growing up I still loved him very much. I don't know how I will feel after my mom passes which is why I am doing what I can to keep her happy, healthy, and comfortable. I know this was a really long read for this kind of thing but I am really proud of my mother, her strength and gumption. 

8 hours ago, Hitchens said:

There's always that one person in your life that you always go to. Who inspires, motivates, & encourages you to want to keep living & being you. 

So, who matters the most to you?

My son, granddaughter, husband, rest of my family and my friends.