The new Covid variant

Kaitlind

5 hours ago, summerlusk said:

This.

lol I feel like they took Covid and gave it a rebrand. Omicron, seriously?

First it was SARS. And then someone called it Corona. But then they're like.... no wait, we named it after an alcoholic beverage, lets rename it.

Then they thought Covid was the coolest and most baddest name ever. And then they're like wait, Omicron sounds darker and cooler. Lets spin that one. 

It's like a bunch of k*ids who can't decide what to name their dog. So they rename it every other day.

Bulls*hit.

Edited by Hitchens
  • Star 1

23 minutes ago, Hitchens said:

lol I feel like they took Covid and gave it a rebrand. Omicron, seriously?

First it was SARS. And then someone called it Corona. But then they're like.... no wait, we named it after an alcoholic beverage, lets rename it.

Then they thought Covid was the coolest and most baddest name ever. And then they're like wait, Omicron sounds darker and cooler. Lets spin that one. 

It's like a bunch of k*ids who can't decide what to name their dog. So they rename it every other day.

Bulls*hit.

I don't wanna be rude, but this is way dumb.

Covid-19 is a severe acute respiratory syndrome, hence calling it SARS. Specifically, it's caused by an RNA virus called a coronavirus (corona meaning crown in Latin, and the virus has a distinguishable sort of crown-like feature). That name was made in the 1960s, and the scientists probably didn't have a cheap Mexican lager on the mind when they named it that way.

So when the outbreak happened in Wuhan, probably in 2019, coronavirus wasn't the best name for it, because corona is so well known as just the name of a beer. So they shortened COrona VIrus Disease from 2019 to COVID 19. Thinking about that means people saying the "Covid Virus" are actually saying the "Corona Virus Disease Virus" lol.

Now there's all these new variants which, for scientific reasons, need to be distinguished from each other. Numbering them or just giving them letters would be too confusing. Naming them where they're from is no good, just look at how much anti-Asian hate was being thrown around when people called it the Chinese virus. Best thing to do would be name the variants after something as basic as names of letters from an ancient language. Extremely simple to learn, no negative connotations, no offence caused. What else could they name the variants?

If you think omicron sounds darker and cooler, that's honestly just your weird interpretation of the letter O. 

But I think what irks me more that the ignorance in your comment is the weird distrust of the Other. 

48 minutes ago, Hitchens said:

Then they thought Covid was the coolest

They? Who's they? The WHO? They made the name simple and easy to remember, is that a bad thing?

50 minutes ago, Hitchens said:

And then they're like wait, Omicron sounds darker and cooler. Lets spin that one. 

Spin it? They're just naming a variant, they're not selling anything. It's not like Omicron has because the only variant all of a sudden.

• Star 2

8 hours ago, stevenenjoysmilk said:

Covid-19 is a severe acute respiratory syndrome, hence calling it SARS. Specifically, it's caused by an RNA virus called a coronavirus (corona meaning crown in Latin, and the virus has a distinguishable sort of crown-like feature). That name was made in the 1960s, and the scientists probably didn't have a cheap Mexican lager on the mind when they named it that way.

So when the outbreak happened in Wuhan, probably in 2019, coronavirus wasn't the best name for it, because corona is so well known as just the name of a beer. So they shortened COrona VIrus Disease from 2019 to COVID 19. Thinking about that means people saying the "Covid Virus" are actually saying the "Corona Virus Disease Virus" lol.

Now there's all these new variants which, for scientific reasons, need to be distinguished from each other. Numbering them or just giving them letters would be too confusing. Naming them where they're from is no good, just look at how much anti-Asian hate was being thrown around when people called it the Chinese virus. Best thing to do would be name the variants after something as basic as names of letters from an ancient language. Extremely simple to learn, no negative connotations, no offence caused. What else could they name the variants?

If you think omicron sounds darker and cooler, that's honestly just your weird interpretation of the letter O. 

But I think what irks me more that the ignorance in your comment is the weird distrust of the Other. 

They? Who's they? The WHO? They made the name simple and easy to remember, is that a bad thing?

Spin it? They're just naming a variant, they're not selling anything. It's not like Omicron has because the only variant all of a sudden.

What I mean is that I feel like the media is giving it a hundred different names.

I'm very well aware they have different names for variants.

What I'm really hinting is that the media didn't give Swine Flu or Ebola a hundred different names when those epidemics were in effect.

Why not keep it simple with one name in the media like they do the flu as to not confuse people?

Because when you give something multiple labels that's what it does.

Whether that is this variation or that variation. It's still the same virus. People know virus's can mutate. 

But every other month they're calling it something different

I know that scientists do their thing & gather emperical evidence on this thing and then tell the media everytime it mutates.

My post that you find dumb was originally a sarcastic joke. 

9 hours ago, stevenenjoysmilk said:

Yes, it was a joke. Meant to be stupid. 

Exactly. It was believed that it came out of a lab in Wuhan, China. There's a channel called "China Uncensored". They're all about debunking things that China tries to cover up and most of the what Chris Chappel has reported as been the truth. I haven't found anything conflicting or it to be disinformation/ misinformation.

I agree. I don't think any virus should be racially labeled. People around work where I live called it the Wu Flu when it first hit and openly seemed to blame the Chinese community in our town. Which was silly. 

I know that every virus strain is labeled something different. They renamed Swine Flu on a few occasions from H1-N1 to H1N2, H2N3, H3N1, and H3N2. So on and so forth. Any stranger you ask is going care or know which name you call it, because it's just that, Swine Flu. 

Truthfully it sounds geeky. I never actually thought it sounded cool. I was being sarcastic. I'd rather they serialized it like they did Swine Flu. 

Because it was a joke that was coated with sarcasm. 

They? Who's they? The WHO? 

The people in the CDC, the scientists, and the media. 

They made the name simple and easy to remember, is that a bad thing?

Not necessarily. They gave Ebola variants some weird names. 

The media. They do a great job spreading fear.

Why? For political propaganda reasons. They're going to over exaggerate things like they always do. 

27 minutes ago, stevenenjoysmilk said:

What will they really gain from spreading fear? 

The media (news like CNN and Fox) have a really nasty habit of causing panic. I don't know if they mean to do it,  but it's not something they should continue doing. Just listen to this guy. It's really the point I'm trying to make & he does a better job explaining it. 

As for political propaganda. Biden wants everyone to get the shot. While I am pro vaccination. CNN  tries to scare people who are anti vaxxers into getting it. I don't know if they're constantly doing this to get views and ratings. I have no clue. But every day in 2020 when I turned on the news. CNN was going on and on. Saying stay indoors, wear a mask, you get covid you could d*e. And when you talk about a virus killing people and showing the hospitals and people talking about people d***g. What does that cause?

Panic. One way or another. It has caused people to panic. 

I don't know if you knew this. But it was a tactic Trump used to do. 

Edited by Hitchens

I know someone who’s brother died of COVID and he seemed to be healthy and was in his early 30s. CNN is just telling the truth about what is happening to unvaccinated people, so I don’t think what they’re doing is a bad thing on this specifically. Fear is a motivator sometimes and if that motivates people to get vaccinated and saves lives, I don’t see how that’s a bad thing.

55 minutes ago, summerlusk said:

I know someone who’s brother died of COVID and he seemed to be healthy and was in his early 30s. CNN is just telling the truth about what is happening to unvaccinated people, so I don’t think what they’re doing is a bad thing on this specifically. Fear is a motivator sometimes and if that motivates people to get vaccinated and saves lives, I don’t see how that’s a bad thing.

You're correct on fear being a motivator. It caused complete chaos and civil unrest. People sacked grocery stores, bought up all of the ammunition, un sick people flooded the hospitals, and complained about wearing masks, and begged for a vaccines ( and when one did become available, everyone griped about it) , people quit their jobs and complained when their landlords evicted them. on top of all of that, people wouldn't stay home. They went and got infected and spread it around. 

It's kind of like this scene here. 

Edited by Hitchens

3 minutes ago, Hitchens said:

You're correct on fear being a motivator. It caused complete chaos and uncivil rest. People sacked grocery stores, bought up all of the ammunition, un sick people flooded the hospitals, and complained about wearing masks, and begged for a vaccines ( and when one did become available, everyone griped about it) , people quit their jobs and complained when their landlords evicted them. 

It's kind of like this scene here. 

Yeah, none of that is good. That’s how irrational people react. What do you suggest the news should do and how they should report things? 

16 minutes ago, summerlusk said:

Yeah, none of that is good. That’s how irrational people react. What do you suggest the news should do and how they should report things? 

From 2017  there was talk of a mysterious illness floating around the states already. Symptoms were exactly like of that Covid. When I was in Florida in 2018, it was talked about a lot. I'm still reviewing the empirical evidence. But I strongly believe it started in 2017. Disagree or agree if you want. I'm not an idiot. I'm a very skeptical person. 

We reviewed real-time reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (rRT-PCR) test results for HCoV-OC43, -229E, -NL63 and -HKU1 reported to The National Respiratory and Enteric Virus Surveillance System (NREVSS) by U.S. laboratories from July 2014–June 2017.  We calculated the total number of tests and percent positive by week. For a subset of HCoV positive submissions with age and se* of the patient available, we tested for differences in age and se* across the four HCoV species using Chi Square and Kruskal Wallace tests.

Article: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1386653218300325

Here's another article on the national library of medicine on it being in the states popping up in 2017. Not many sources. 

117 laboratories reported 854,575 HCoV tests; 2.2% were positive for HCoV-OC43, 1.0% for HCoV-NL63, 0.8% for HCoV-229E, and 0.6% for HCoV-HKU1. The percentage of positive tests peaked during December - March each year. No significant differences in se* were seen across species, although a significant difference in age distribution was noted.

Article: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29427907/

I have reason to believe that it's been around longer than 2019 in the states and from what I've heard from when I lived in Florida that sick people with extreme flu like symptoms were being laid up in the hospital then. 

Despite President Trump’s repeated assertions that the Covid-19 epidemic was “unforeseen” and “came out of nowhere,” the Pentagon was not just well aware of the threat of a novel influenza but even anticipated the consequent scarcity of ventilators, face masks, and hospital beds, according to a 2017 Pentagon plan obtained by The Nation.

Article: https://www.thenation.com/article/politics/covid-military-shortage-pandemic/

No one panicked when that was going on with the news media involved. No one seemed to care that much about it. People who didn't want to get sick treated it like any other sickness back when it was the mystery influenza. But then in 2019 and 2020, the media blew up with it and caused nationwide chaos. 

Edited by Hitchens

23 minutes ago, Hitchens said:

From 2017  there was talk of a mysterious illness floating around the states already. Symptoms were exactly like of that Covid. When I was in Florida in 2018, it was talked about a lot. I'm still reviewing the empirical evidence. But I strongly believe it started in 2017. Disagree or agree if you want. I'm not an idiot. I'm a very skeptical person. 

Here's another article on the national library of medicine on it being in the states popping up in 2017. Not many sources. 

I have reason to believe that it's been around longer than 2019 in the states and from what I've heard from when I lived in Florida that sick people with extreme flu like symptoms were being laid up in the hospital then. 

No one panicked when that was going on with the news media involved. No one seemed to care that much about it. People who didn't want to get sick treated it like any other sickness back when it was the mystery influenza. But then in 2019 and 2020, the media blew up with it and caused nationwide chaos. 

Maybe it was the same thing, but how many people died from it then compared to how many people did in 2020 and were hospitalized from COVID-19? 

1 minute ago, summerlusk said:

Maybe it was the same thing, but how many people died from it then compared to how many people did in 2020 and were hospitalized from COVID-19? 

While I think it was here in 2017, I don't have enough empirical evidence for that belief to be officially credible. It's just my theory. 

According to the CDC, it happens in waves and there's a moment of absenteeism that can last months. Then it happens again and we have confirmed cases. 

Spread of a pandemic influenza virus may occur in multiple disease “waves” that are separated by several months. As a pandemic influenza virus spreads, large numbers of people may need medical care worldwide. Schools, ch*ldcare centers, workplaces, and other places for mass gatherings may experience more absenteeism. Public health and healthcare systems can become overloaded, with elevated rates of hospitalizations and deaths. Other critical infrastructure, such as law enforcement, emergency medical services, and transportation industry may also be affected.

Article: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/basics/faq.html

Someone knew something was going on though before it happened. If you know a surprise is coming. Guess what? It's not a surprise. 

• Star 1

On 12/2/2021 at 1:31 PM, summerlusk said:

It’s worse than the flu. But honestly, the flu is bad enough for certain people and can k ill the most vulnerable. Which is why I took it seriously around certain people, nobody else did. People didn’t start taking the spread of viruses seriously until COVID.

I mean like the flu in that it mutates frequently and comes back every year. Sorry for being confusing ^^;;

• Star 1