....For 'philosophers'

MelVee

This is a little philosophy perception rant... I like to write and have to get to 600 for Immortal status, so game on.

I see things in different light then most. There are always pros and cons to different situations. But what happens when society as a whole 'lives in the gray area'? 

Chaos.

Let me explain. We as a society have 'agreed' to except judgement for those who we think are 'bad'. If someone goes out and commits m**der we try them, either put them behind bars or attempt to rehabilitate them. I use the word attempt because more then half the time offenders become 'repeat offenders' - Why? Because the person behind the crime does not SEE this (what they have done) as a problem....hence why the act happens to begin with. 

What happens when this 'mob mentality' becomes "woke"?

We are Onision fans (f&*k yea). We've seen this in the light of day happen before our very eyes. They take their sick narrative and try to slander and defame an innocent person for trying to help others. All because of feelings and perception. I've had this happen to me (not in the same light of course) with a entire state...New York state. In New York state you are not allowed to go to the store buy cases of **water** and disperse them to people in need. I have many violations for trying to help those who are unfortunate. Does this stop me? F&%k no. What does this have to do with my point?

It doesn't matter to most what goings on happen in others lives unless they can gain something from their misery or sorrow. I buy food and water for those in need, I do it to feel better. 

It's okay to choose for yourself what is beneficial or not in your own life. You are allowed to say your feelings, your thoughts, even if it upsets someone. A belief isn't physical - words can only hurt you if you let them. Which means it is OKAY to pass your own judgements on how something makes YOU feel. 

Again...not trying to upset anyone. Just a little rant from me to get to 600. 😃

• Star 1

24 minutes ago, MelVee said:

Chaos.

Let me explain. We as a society have 'agreed' to except judgement for those who we think are 'bad'. If someone goes out and commits m**der we try them, either put them behind bars or attempt to rehabilitate them. I use the word attempt because more then half the time offenders become 'repeat offenders' - Why? Because the person behind the crime does not SEE this (what they have done) as a problem....hence why the act happens to begin with. 

Reminds me of The Joker's perspective on schemers. 

• Star 2

4 minutes ago, Mr.Dawn said:

Reminds me of The Joker's perspective on schemers. 

Not gonna lie the philosophy behind the character that is : Mr. J - makes sense. And that small notion excites and scares me at the same time. 

Hey! I'm not really 100% sure what the point you're trying to make is, so I'm just going to go through your post and add my thoughts

3 hours ago, MelVee said:

I see things in different light then most. There are always pros and cons to different situations. But what happens when society as a whole 'lives in the gray area'? 

Chaos.

I don't think the answer is chaos. I would say it's more like complexity. But I suppose it would depend on how you are defining chaos. If you're saying that it's a sense of illogical consequences from randomized events, I don't think that's wholly true. Plenty of illogical things happen due to the societies we live in, but I don't think it's often enough for it to be a defining feature as to how we live our lives as a society. For example, the vast majority of people will flush the toilet when they finish using it, because it is the logical thing to do.

3 hours ago, MelVee said:

This seems to be a bit of tangent here. I have not seen any research that shows actual attempts to rehabilitating criminals has been a factor in recidivism. It overwhelmingly appears to be that removal from society and of someone's civil liberties, and communities reluctance to accept former criminals. Incarceration is very well know to severly impact inmates psychologically to the point that they are not able to lead a better life whenever they do get out. On top of that, there's a huge stigma against anyone who has been in j*il in the past getting a job, finding a place to live, aid from the government, or anything else that can safely keep them away from crime being a necessary way to stay alive.

4 hours ago, MelVee said:

What happens when this 'mob mentality' becomes "woke"?

It would entirely depend on your definition of wokeness. If it's an alertness to injustice, especially in regards to ******, se*ism, h*mophobia, and transphobia, then my answer to your question is: Good! The more we pass judgement on people perpetuating making people's lives m*******e by those means, the better!

We are Onision fans (f&*k yea). We've seen this in the light of day happen before our very eyes. They take their sick narrative and try to slander and defame an innocent person for trying to help others. All because of feelings and perception.

Agreed, all of the issues James faced in the past few years with criminal allegations levied against him were purely speculative and formed from mis-perceptions. On face value, when looking at what it is claimed he did, he would deserve judgement by the hands of the law. But after look into more of the objective facts of the matter, you would find that not to be true.

I've had this happen to me (not in the same light of course) with a entire state...New York state. In New York state you are not allowed to go to the store buy cases of **water** and disperse them to people in need. I have many violations for trying to help those who are unfortunate. Does this stop me? F&%k no.

This is very unfortunate, but I don't see it as being similar to Onision's case. Providing food and water is generally banned in some parts of America for financial benefits for lawmakers (charge fees for food/water distribution) or businesses (keeping the area "tidy"). It has absolutely got nothing to do with being "woke". In defense of New York state, from what I've researched, it's only banned in a couple cities, not state-wide. So it seems like it's not something a mob mentality agrees with being the correct thing to do. It's quite opposite, the laws and bans are incredibly unpopular. I think likening it to Onison's case is to say that, when looking into the objective facts of feeding the homeless, then most people are wrong and we shouldn't do it? Doesn't seem to match up with what you're actually saying.

6 hours ago, MelVee said:

What does this have to do with my point?

It doesn't matter to most what goings on happen in others lives unless they can gain something from their misery or sorrow. I buy food and water for those in need, I do it to feel better. 

This seems to be a contradiction, so I must imagine you mean that you are an exception to that rule, unless you mean that you giving food and water for those in need making you feel better is dependent on them living and misery or sorrow in the first place. Either way, I disagree with the premise that most people are uncaring if they are unable to make personal gain. Parenthood, for example, brings a huge amount of stress and financial, social, physical, and emotional burdens, which are usually not equally paid off. But we as humanity generally enjoy bringing new life into the world, and have no desire for those hopes to bring misery upon anyone else.

I think it would be more accurate to say that it doesn't matter to most people what happens to other unless there is something that can be gained. But even this would be so broad of a statement, it's almost not worth making. e.g. "I only care about this person enough to hold the door open for them, because I may gain their respect for a glimpsing moment."

6 hours ago, MelVee said:

It's okay to choose for yourself what is beneficial or not in your own life. You are allowed to say your feelings, your thoughts, even if it upsets someone. A belief isn't physical - words can only hurt you if you let them. Which means it is OKAY to pass your own judgements on how something makes YOU feel. 

I don't think it's as clear cut as that. Beliefs and words can cause severe trauma in a person, because judgments are not just limited to one person's mind; they are acted upon and have consequences. I know some ex-Mormons who, having been brought up believing h*mose*uality is a sin, suppressed their true selves in very unhealthy ways. They weren't physically beaten into those beliefs, it was just words.

An extreme hypothetical of this could be: If you lived in a place where everyone around you believed you were beneath them due to your skin color, it would be very difficult to persuade you that words only hurt when you let them.

The final point "it is OKAY to pass your own judgements on how something makes YOU feel" is meaningless if there's nothing said about the actions taken due to your judgments. If someone sees a c*hild and judges them to be attractive, and is happy with that judgment, whether or not we find that okay depends on that persons actions. They could say "Aw, don't you look cute today", which I think would be okay. Or they could kidnap the c*hild and r*ape them. Not okay.

1 hour ago, stevenenjoysmilk said:

I know some ex-Mormons who, having been brought up believing h*mose*uality is a sin, suppressed their true selves in very unhealthy ways. They weren't physically beaten into those beliefs, it was just words.

As an atheist my only position is that I am not convinced a god or god exists. A Theist cannot argue one into existence.

The dumber and more ignorant you are, the easier it is for religion to insert it’s slimy tentacles into your brain. I’m not stating that all theists are stupid and ignorant, but religion thrives in the climate of bullsh'it.

With that being said mental and emotional a'buse is just as bad as physical a'buse. I find that c'hild indoctrination into a religion is extremely a'busive. No parent should ever force a c'hild into going to church or claim to a c'hild that this deity is real when lack of evidence suggests that it doesn't. 

My opinion that the Christian god is a psychopathic monster that tortures & m**ders ch*ldren & commits mass genocide. 

2:23 And he went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little ch*ldren out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.

2:24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two ch*ldren of them.

God m**dered 42 ch*ldren in a horrific fashion just because they mocked a bald man. The deity depicted in the bible is a barbaric and cruel sadist, by any objective standard. 

1 Timothy 2:12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet.

God validates the oppression and subjugation of women. Which is why most Christian men are domestically violent to their partners. 

Leviticus 20:13 , “If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall be put to death, their blood is upon them.”

The Biblical "God" hates h'omose*uals. Theists argue against this to make their religion look good, but it's one way fail. 

Genesis 6:17, NIV: "I am going to bring floodwaters on the earth to destroy all life under the heavens, every creature that has the breath of life in it. Everything on earth will perish."

The Biblical God kills or tortures anyone who refuses to worship it.  To me this appears to be an appeal to authority by those who invented Christianity for their own political agenda. "God" even sent Lucifer to torment one of his followers over a petty bet. 

Matthew 25:41, Jesus says: "Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting FIRE"

Anyone who doesn't love this imaginary deity or the fictional prophet chooses "h'ell." Such a great example to make for your followers. Complete and utter bullsh'it. 

The Lord said to Moses, 2 “Take vengeance on the Midianites for the Israelites. After that, you will be gathered to your people.”

The bible did not advocate for human rights. The bible advocated slavery, genocide, torture, and all manner of nasty things. 

Just to let the last 2 posters know I forgot about them - I just want to make sure I take the time to really dive into and take what you guys/gals have said. I appreciate all the insight and super happy there is intellectuals here. 😃 

5 hours ago, MelVee said:

Just to let the last 2 posters know I forgot about them - I just want to make sure I take the time to really dive into and take what you guys/gals have said. I appreciate all the insight and super happy there is intellectuals here. 😃 

I meant to say I did NOT forget you....response coming - sorry trying to do way too many things at once =P