are daddy issues a real thing

bones

• Elites

I have one of the worst fathers you could possibly have. 

Travelled incessantly internationally my whole life, was a serial-cheater, had ch*ldren with a side-piece while with my mother and I was only 7 years old, was away 300 days out of the year. 

His only perk was making me bilingual, a citizen of France, and taking me on breathtaking vacations. 

Idk, I feel like daddy issues is a real thing. 

My dad stole my mother’s pension and married another woman and moved to Florida a year after she passed. Didn’t tell any of my siblings or me either. 

Are daddy issues a real thing 

• Heart 1

• Mod

It seems like there are a lot of horrible parents out there. I'm sorry that you and anyone else reading this had to deal with awful parents growing up. So yes, I believe having daddy issues is real thing in the sense that you have had a bad relationship with your father.

• Heart 1

I think Daddy issues just means: Having a problem with your father, and seeking attention from others to compensate for that issue.

For example: I had an absence of a father figure, so I desire a father figure, and invest way too much energy in some relationships as a result... irrationally so in the past.

• Heart 1

• Elites
11 hours ago, Admin said:

Having a problem with your father, and seeking attention from others to compensate for that issue.

Yes, this is true. 

I wish I could consciously avoid the behaviors that come along with seeking this attention. 

Ugh.

47 minutes ago, bones said:

Yes, this is true. 

I wish I could consciously avoid the behaviors that come along with seeking this attention. 

Ugh.

My father disowned me. We didn't get along. He was in a marriage that I didn't like. His wife hated me, it as mutually because of how she treated me, and she made my stay with him very punishing and arduous. It became very crystal clear that she was trying to run me off. She was mentally and emotionally a'busive. There were occasions where she put her hands on me. My dad never did anything about it.

When I lived with him, it was a strictly controlled environment. I was to be seen and not heard.  I was to focus on my studies. No television or video games. No friends over. Music and books were picked out by them that I hated.

What wasn't different about my father and my mother was that they both indoctrinated their religious or superstitious beliefs onto me as a ch*ld. I was forced to attend his church, partake in his religion, and become a member of the Presbyterian faith, was forced to recite scripture of a Presbyterian Bible back to him every night. All the while believing that it was not the word of "God" but the words of "men". 

And I strongly believe that my father as well as my mother both played a role in me having issues growing up, how I was treated, & having a religion forced on me made me very very pissed off at both of them for it. 

One thing I have learned, if you have k'ids. Don't force religion on them, don't even introduce it to them. It's the one thing that will f'uck them up. I think someone should be able to freely choose their religion without their parents telling them that "god" or this god exists because that's automatically indoctrinating their beliefs on to them and that's psychological a'buse. 

• Star 1

• Elites
2 minutes ago, Mr.Dawn said:

One thing I have learned, if you have k'ids. Don't force religion on them, don't even introduce it to them. It's the one thing that will f'uck them up. I think someone should be able to freely choose their religion without their parents telling them that "god" or this god exists because that's automatically indoctrinating their beliefs on to them and that's psychological a'buse. 

You are go'ddamn right. 

• Heart 1