Is Japan Better Than The USA?

Walking your dog alone after dark in Japan:

Spring Love GIF by Shalita Grant

VS

Walking your dog alone after dark in the US:

No Way Reaction GIF

But seriously, one of the things I love about living here in Japan is the safety aspect. According to Sir Google, there were around 950 m**ders in Japan in 2020 versus around 21,500 m**ders in the US in the same year. Keep in mind that the population of the US is only less than 3 times bigger than that of Japan. WTF, America?!?!

It's really nice to be able to go out and about by myself without always feeling like I need to be on high alert. Although I come from a small town in TN, I still don't think I would ever go out for a walk by myself at night. My dog isn't exactly intimidating, and m*th-heads run rampant in the countryside. If my husband and I ever decide to move back stateside, I'll definitely have to readjust quickly. 

How about your situation? Do you feel relatively safe and secure in your neighborhood? I never really ventured out of TN much when I was in the states, so I'm curious about how safety varies from place to place.

BTW, have a picture of a heckin' good boy doin' a "bad boy." He always plants himself on the sidewalk and refuses to move as soon as he spots our house! 😂

209637157_LukeChanCutie.thumb.jpg.549f63ef2cafde17e5d24a344bc759e0.jpg

1 hour ago, Carrie Danielle said:

Walking your dog alone after dark in Japan:

Spring Love GIF by Shalita Grant

VS

Walking your dog alone after dark in the US:

No Way Reaction GIF

But seriously, one of the things I love about living here in Japan is the safety aspect. According to Sir Google, there were around 950 m**ders in Japan in 2020 versus around 21,500 m**ders in the US in the same year. Keep in mind that the population of the US is only less than 3 times bigger than that of Japan. WTF, America?!?!

It's really nice to be able to go out and about by myself without always feeling like I need to be on high alert. Although I come from a small town in TN, I still don't think I would ever go out for a walk by myself at night. My dog isn't exactly intimidating, and m*th-heads run rampant in the countryside. If my husband and I ever decide to move back stateside, I'll definitely have to readjust quickly. 

How about your situation? Do you feel relatively safe and secure in your neighborhood? I never really ventured out of TN much when I was in the states, so I'm curious about how safety varies from place to place.

BTW, have a picture of a heckin' good boy doin' a "bad boy." He always plants himself on the sidewalk and refuses to move as soon as he spots our house! 😂

209637157_LukeChanCutie.thumb.jpg.549f63ef2cafde17e5d24a344bc759e0.jpg

I mean... I'm sure people in Japan have more in common with each other than in the US. It's our differences that make us more hostile to one another --- so many religions, cultures etc --- people just live in different worlds here because we are probably the most diverse in the world.

People being different = more conflict.

It's kind of a common sense thing.

You mix that with very loose gun laws and a dominant culture that is trained to thing violence is ok in certain circumstances... yeah.

1 hour ago, Admin said:

I mean... I'm sure people in Japan have more in common with each other than in the US. It's our differences that make us more hostile to one another --- so many religions, cultures etc --- people just live in different worlds here because we are probably the most diverse in the world.

It's kind of a common sense thing.

You mix that with very loose gun laws and a dominant culture that is trained to thing violence is ok in certain circumstances... yeah.

does this mean you believe multiculturalism is the cause for m**ders in the US?

10 hours ago, Admin said:

I also believe that has a lot to do with the large disparity in crime statistics between the two countries. Not only do the majority of people in Japan share the same race and culture, but they also share the same socioeconomic status. You can't really look at random people on the street and say for sure who has money and who doesn't. Basically everyone appears to be part of the middle class. I'm not sure if it's because the middle class in Japan is much larger than that in the US or if it's because Japanese culture tends towards modesty and people here aren't as flashy as they are back home. It's probably a mix of both.

8 hours ago, Mr.Dawn said:

In the past when I was a k*d, I did want to go live in Japan. But for many reasons and from the things I've read and I've been told by people who went over there. No thanks. I'll pass. 

Wow, I think you're one of the only people I've met who had said Japan is a hard pass. Do you mind explaining a bit more about the negative things you've heard? I'm genuinely curious. 😀

9 hours ago, stevenenjoysmilk said:

does this mean you believe multiculturalism is the cause for m**ders in the US?

I think if the US, Iraq, Syria and North Korea all bordered each other, there would be a lot of issues.

35 minutes ago, Carrie Danielle said:

Wow, I think you're one of the only people I've met who had said Japan is a hard pass. Do you mind explaining a bit more about the negative things you've heard? I'm genuinely curious. 😀

I’m curious about this too.

16 hours ago, Admin said:

I think if the US, Iraq, Syria and North Korea all bordered each other, there would be a lot of issues.

What? They do all have borders though, don't they? All countries do to an extent, but that doesn't explain why the m**der rate is so high in the USA compared to Japan. Looking in another direction, Brazil is less diverse in ethnicity, language, and religion compared to USA, but has a higher m**der rate anyway

• Star 1

On 10/22/2021 at 10:18 PM, Carrie Danielle said:

I know of 3 people who went over there. They all have something in common. 

My cousin who is very wealthy and only 3 years older than me lived over there with some friends for a year while he was in college. He loves Japanese culture, anime, manga, the food, and the women. He can speak the language. He came back with a wife. He said it was very expensive.  But he could afford it because his father is a millionaire and is in the auto industry. 

A old friend from school that I grew up with. Her father lived over there for many years.  He had some stories to share about their customs and culture. Again, he said it was expensive to live there. So he came back. He said that he felt very alone over there. 

Another friend from school went and lived over there. He was smart & very intelligent guy. Went to college and has a masters degree. The only job he could get was being an English teacher over there. He hated it. Want to know what he said? Expensive and he was ostracized for being an American or as they call you, Gaijin. He barely had any friends what so ever and they wouldn't invite him. Long work hours, and crap pay. He ended up moving back. 

I looked into his stories and a lot of what he had to say is a common problem. So that's why I pass on it. 

The orderliness, safety, predictability, affordability, and pleasantness go a long way, but they come at a price. Since Japanese culture is so stratified and rigid, it can be very difficult for a newcomer, especially a Westerner to build a life and prosper there. While there are many low-level teaching, tutoring, and ch*ldcare jobs, it can be hard for expats to rise above the bottom rungs. Being different and outside of the mainstream of society is often viewed quite negatively, and can have a big influence on the kinds of opportunities a person gets.

https://wise.com/us/blog/americans-in-japan

Edited by Mr.Dawn

On 10/22/2021 at 12:08 PM, Mr.Dawn said:

In the past when I was a k*d, I did want to go live in Japan. But for many reasons and from the things I've read and I've been told by people who went over there. No thanks. I'll pass. 

What did you hear?

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

Nvm, I posted this before reading your above response to OP 😬

• Funny 1

20 hours ago, summerlusk said:

Nvm, I posted this before reading your above response to OP 😬

Enjoy reading this. It's a very entertaining article about how living in Japan s*cks. 

The Japanese are so serious about work that even work-related parties are mandatory. If you don't go to a company party, you're not part of the team. If you're not part of the team, it's possible you're not actually working at the company.

It's been said, many times, in many ways, that the Japanese are an intense people. The samurai used to, like, ritualistically scream, kneel, and cut their intestines out with their sword if they were disgraced in battle. An attendant would then cut the samurai's head off with a sword. Being serious about parties and requiring all employees to attend or it's they a** is not nearly as bad as forcing an employee to disembowel himself as punishment for the feudal Japanese equivalent of jamming the paper shredder.

Either way, I've never heard a story about someone who got fired directly because they didn't go to a company party. I'm sure it's only ever happened indirectly.

The general consensus is that, if a guy doesn't want to go to a party and get terribly drunk with everyone else in the company, then he obviously has some element of his outside life — a girlfriend, a hobby, et cetera — that is more important to him than the company, so any work he does is less worthy of trust than any work done by anyone who "respects the company" enough to go to all the parties and match the boss drink for drink. Try skipping a party as an employee of a Japanese company: Instantly, you're The Guy Who Skipped The Party, you're The Guy Who Doesn't Care About The Company. Or try going to the party and not drinking.

https://kotaku.com/japan-its-not-funny-anymore-5484581

Edited by Mr.Dawn
  • Heart 1

• Elites

I have heard from a personal friend of mine being relocated for work in Japan she was treated extremely poorly even speaking Japanese herself. 

She did say it was mostly men. 

*As an American woman, of course. 

• Heart 1

On 11/17/2021 at 5:01 PM, bones said:

I have heard from a personal friend of mine being relocated for work in Japan she was treated extremely poorly even speaking Japanese herself. 

She did say it was mostly men. 

*As an American woman, of course. 

Even if I won the lottery, walked away with several million, & retired. I still wouldn't move over there. I decided early on in my life that it's just better to appreciate Japan from way afar lol. 🤣