How Happy Are You? (overall)

Admin

I've been wondering about the relationship of money to happiness... if you could... say below what you are (Lower, middle or upper class) and how happy you are overall with your life (out of 10)

Me personally, I'll speak strictly within the context of having a lot of money to having a little...

So when I was very well off, my happiness overall was like a 6/10 --- since then basically nothing has changed, my happiness is about the same despite losing the wealthy aspect of my life...

For me, money has no connection to happiness outside maybe having the ability to pay medical bills etc. Important to stay health you know?

So what is your happiness level and your social class? What do you feel about this?

• Heart 2

• Mod

I'm lower class and I have noticed that when I don't have a lot of money, I'm not as happy as I am when I have more. Right now I don't have as much as I did last year to earlier this year because I didn't work for a month. That was a dumb decision but I felt like I had enough money to not work for a while but now I don't have as much as I used to and I regret doing that. Some days I'm in a good mood and others days I'm not, but overall my happiness is 6/10 right now. Honestly I feel like my life and happiness would improve greatly if I was rich.

• Elites

I fall under lower middle class. I am pretty happy here. I have been through the highs and lows. From just having enough to buy a bag of chips and a hugs juice, showering in fire hydrants, and living in my mom's friend's van when my brother and I were younger living in Brooklyn, NY. I came to PA at 21 with $20 left in my pocket from my last paycheck from Toys R Us back in 1996. The struggle was real, but I made it and as it turns out, I didn't end up being a cashier forever as I feared. One thing I have noticed, if not for the struggles in my life, I would not have the gumption or the confidence I have today. I think life is all about how you see things. Whether you are poor or rich, if you are happy where you are in life who gives a damn what others think. The key to life is making what you have work instead of desiring what others have.

1 minute ago, Bruja626 said:

showering in fire hydrants

How does one find themselves doing this? Like... does a car collide with it and you run out in the falling water? Or... you bring a wrench with you to unleash it? I'm very... interested to know.

• Heart 1

• Elites
11 minutes ago, Onision said:

How does one find themselves doing this? Like... does a car collide with it and you run out in the falling water? Or... you bring a wrench with you to unleash it? I'm very... interested to know.

Using a wrench. Now mind you we never took showers in the n**e when we were homeless. We would be in our underwear the point was to be clean so we could go to school in the morning and mom could go to work without smelling like butt. Back in the 80's when I was a k*d, things were not as secure as they are today. Today you cannot turn on a hydrant without getting fined. But back then it was not that big of a deal. Heck when we did find a place there was a hydrant across the street that all the k***s would play at all summer long. Some fire hydrants even had holes drilled into the caps so when opened they would sprinkle, the guys from the block used to use cans when the hydrant was opened full blast and they would use the can to direct the water. Men would grab their wives screaming and get wet with them in the water...man I miss those times. I wish my k***s could experience some of the simple pleasures in life I had. Playing in the park until sundown playing games like kick the can, suicide, handball, tag and hide and seek. I am feeling so nostalgic right now.

• Elites
6 hours ago, Onision said:

Oh… well that is a really new concept to me. Thanks for sharing your story.

Well, you are over 10 years younger than me so I can totally see how that is something rarely heard of. If you know anyone else who lived in the poorer areas of NY who is in my age group, I am sure they will have some great stories for you as well. Thank you for engaging with me and asking more about my entry. I would not have rambled on otherwise. Your curiosity was much appreciated. have a good evening.

28 minutes ago, Bruja626 said:

Well, you are over 10 years younger than me so I can totally see how that is something rarely heard of.

I LOVE IT WHEN OLDER PEOPLE TALK TO ME OMG ❤️

I feel like "Woah? I'm worth your time? Cool!" --- I need more of that wisdom in my life.

• Heart 1

• Elites
2 hours ago, Onision said:

I LOVE IT WHEN OLDER PEOPLE TALK TO ME OMG ❤️

I feel like "Woah? I'm worth your time? Cool!" --- I need more of that wisdom in my life.

I think that's awesome. Elders are so overlooked in today's society. I enjoy talking to older people too.  They just have a way about them. They have awesome stories, give great advice and contrary to popular opinion, they are not all as judgmental as most think. It's important to have friends in many different age ranges and if you are so inclined, perhaps having different opinions as well. It makes for a more seasoned personality. Younger people keep us old heads up with the times, while older people keep us grounded and show us to slow down a little. Variety in friendship is always good. It opens the mind and allows sight in many different perspectives and makes us more tolerant and accepting of our differences as human beings. Here I go rambling again, lol Well its 10:00 here its time for sleep anyway. I have two jobs and school to tend to. Rinse wash and repeat, but I graduate in January so there's that. I can finally cross off getting a college degree from my bucket list. Have a great night and thank you again for responding and making me feel like I am worth your time.