Longest you’ve gone without speaking to your parents?

summerlusk

Father passed in 2016 but prior to that we last spoke in 2008.
With mother it's been since 2015 I believe.

My family is alarmingly ignorant and to such a degree that my interests and conversational style confuses them and even weirds them out. There's zero connection present. It's unfortunate but I came to terms with it long ago.

Who I now consider family are those very close friends I've known for up to 10 years who have always had my back and have a strong foundation of trust. I'm fortunate to have them in my life despite being all over the country.

• Heart 1

• Mod

At least a week and it wasn't for any particular reason. I see my dad and stepmom every weekend and even one day during the week sometimes. My mom lives in another state but we talk on the phone about every week and she visits every month. So I don't go very long without speaking to either of them.

My dad is not in my life, that’s not up to me and no matter how my mom treats me or acts…I’ve always been there for her. We always talk and the only time we didn’t was when I was nanny for a couple who was going on vacation, I didn’t have a cell phone to contact her 😂 but I found ways like using a pay phone or borrowing one 💜

2 hours ago, summerlusk said:

I don’t feel so bad now

Don’t feel bad at all. Boundaries are important.
I only started talking to my family again recently last year after they all did some major therapy work. And our current relationship is contingent on continuing growth. if people refuse to be healthy or at least try. No contact is a super valid option. Never feel bad for setting boundaries. ❤️❤️❤️

• Star 1

my mom's been a drg addict most of my life, so there's been plenty of times where I've gone without speaking to her. my father, however, just kicked me out in February and chose his wife over me so I haven't spoken to him since our fight in April of this year. 

3 hours ago, seeairuhhmist said:

my mom's been a drg addict most of my life, so there's been plenty of times where I've gone without speaking to her. my father, however, just kicked me out in February and chose his wife over me so I haven't spoken to him since our fight in April of this year. 

I'm sorry things have been hard for you 💝