What does “Self Care” mean to you?

12 minutes ago, LadyDaigona said:

What do you do for “self care”? I’m very bad at self care, and I’d love to hear what y’all do. 

I’m getting my nails done tomorrow to see if that’s self care for me. 

Donald Faison Nails GIF

My Instagram is devoted to this lol I was dating a person that put me down a lot and I started to change as a person. I was not happy and it took root in how I was taking care of myself. I stopped doing my makeup because he would say mean things and I stopped wanting to dress up or wear anything that he would deem u**y or too slutty. I did it to avoid hearing him and eventually I got to the point that I didn’t think I deserved to look good or shouldn’t try. This manifested into other areas too, I wasn’t eating well, I was afraid to spend money because he would put me down for that, saying I’m selfish and I came to a realization that if I don’t take proper care of myself- this person and MY actions will destroy me. I went against him, got away and saw how incredibly important it is to have self care mentally, physically and spiritually. 

It’s treating yourself right in a healthy way. My friend has a saying when I start to fall back into the old ways- You cannot pour from an empty cup. She’s right too, do things that are positive for you and bring you joy. Set time aside to breathe or play video games, don’t guilt yourself for having fun or relaxing. Self care for me is anything that makes me feel calm or even special because I enjoy it. Taking a nice bath while watching your favorite movie, waking up early to see a sunrise and meditate.

Anything healthy can be self care 💫 Protecting your boundaries, not arguing with unhappy people !  All of it is self care or preservation. Choosing to be good to yourself when you don’t feel it is self care too. If I’m having a bad day and just want to sleep, choosing to make myself a good meal so I won’t feel worse later is self care. You also don’t have to go through anything to practice this concept, it just showed me how important it was when I lacked it. 

Drinking game for every time I said “self care” 😂 I’d like to know how others practice this too 🙏 

• Heart 1
  • Star 1

3 minutes ago, HexesfromTexas said:

Oof self care. Please define. 😩🙈

That’s the problem I’m having 

😭

11 minutes ago, Rick n morty babe said:

My Instagram is devoted to this lol I was dating a person that put me down a lot and I started to change as a person. I was not happy and it took root in how I was taking care of myself. I stopped doing my makeup because he would say mean things and I stopped wanting to dress up or wear anything that he would deem u**y or too slutty. I did it to avoid hearing him and eventually I got to the point that I didn’t think I deserved to look good or shouldn’t try. This manifested into other areas too, I wasn’t eating well, I was afraid to spend money because he would put me down for that, saying I’m selfish and I came to a realization that if I don’t take proper care of myself- this person and MY actions will destroy me. I went against him, got away and saw how incredibly important it is to have self care mentally, physically and spiritually. 

It’s treating yourself right in a healthy way. My friend has a saying when I start to fall back into the old ways- You cannot pour from an empty cup. She’s right too, do things that are positive for you and bring you joy. Set time aside to breathe or play video games, don’t guilt yourself for having fun or relaxing. Self care for me is anything that makes me feel calm or even special because I enjoy it. Taking a nice bath while watching your favorite movie, waking up early to see a sunrise and meditate.

Anything healthy can be self care 💫 Protecting your boundaries, not arguing with unhappy people !  All of it is self care or preservation. Choosing to be good to yourself when you don’t feel it is self care too. If I’m having a bad day and just want to sleep, choosing to make myself a good meal so I won’t feel worse later is self care. You also don’t have to go through anything to practice this concept, it just showed me how important it was when I lacked it. 

Drinking game for every time I said “self care” 😂 I’d like to know how others practice this too 🙏 

Oh holy wow Thank you for this insightful answer!! 
I think I had a similar thing happen to me, long long ago, and I just never realized it. My husband told me 2 weeks ago that I should do some self care, and I had no idea what that even meant or what self care would be for me. 
So, now I’m trying to figure out what things I used to do that made me happy, that I stopped doing because it was “selfish”. 
Nails, and my hair were things I LOVED and stopped doing for reasons you’ve listed above. 

• Heart 1

• Mod

I don't do much for myself that's considered self-care. I can't think of anything really. I need to start walking/exercising, drinking water, and buy new clothes. Those are examples of self-care that I should start doing.

• Heart 2

2 minutes ago, Kaitlind said:

I don't do much for myself that's considered self-care. I can't think of anything really. I need to start walking/exercising, drinking water, and buy new clothes. Those are examples of self-care that I should start doing.

You deserve it, you deserve good things 💞

• Heart 2

3 hours ago, LadyDaigona said:

That’s the problem I’m having 

😭

Oh holy wow Thank you for this insightful answer!! 
I think I had a similar thing happen to me, long long ago, and I just never realized it. My husband told me 2 weeks ago that I should do some self care, and I had no idea what that even meant or what self care would be for me. 
So, now I’m trying to figure out what things I used to do that made me happy, that I stopped doing because it was “selfish”. 
Nails, and my hair were things I LOVED and stopped doing for reasons you’ve listed above. 

Well you should def get your nails and hair done, esp if you loved it 💞 treat yo’self 😂

• Heart 1
  • Star 1

I give myself a few hours of peace after everyone is tucked in bed. The hubby included. 

Just me, myself, and I. 

I usually spend this time gamin, reading, here on the forums, watching my shows or even just catching up on sleep. I do whatever I feel I wanna do. It's me time!  Huzzah!

• Heart 1
  • Star 2

Well, I got my nails done. 
And, I think that this is DEFINITELY self care for me. I’m happy, they’re beautiful, and I feel much prettier and much more “me”. This was how I felt when I was a young adult, before I was torn up and spit out by ab**e and neglect. 

I will continue to get my nails done. This was a great idea. 

• Star 1

Self care to me is usually having a day totally to myself. My daughter is not included in this equation as her presence keeps me calm. But, away from anyone else. Just doing what I want, which is usually lying with a fluffy blanket, scented candles around me, no one texting me or calling me, watching what I want, listening to what I want, eating what I want. I need a day like this once a week or I start to feel very drained and overwhelmed. It doesn't happen very often though 😅.