Do you believe honesty is the best policy?

Hitchens

I avoid lying as it usually stirs up more drama and complications, plus it doesn't sit comfortably with me. Might sound dull but usually honesty is always the best route, unless you are just telling a small lie to avoid offending someone or hurting their feelings 

• Mod

Yes being honest is the best and right thing to do. I don't see how some people can lie all the time. How does that not bother them? If you're a good person, lying will make you feel bad and no one will be able to trust you. That's why I tell the truth.

I have a great example here.

My mom and dad are separated. My dad came up to see me as he was in town and brought his girlfriend along, who was also the woman that he cheated on mom with (though this was only the catalyst and the separation was a loooong time coming...)

I knew she would be there, I know the woman from before, I quite like her, and have no issue with her and my dad being together. My mom somehow found out, or rather had no idea but made a point to ask questions to find out the answer to something she didn't want to know. She asked if she was there and I was honest and said yes, because I didn't want to lie. Well she didn't speak to me after that for about 4 months, she was really upset with me. 

Would you have told her in this situation, even though it hurt her? And realistically she had no way of knowing otherwise (unless she has spies on me which I wouldn't put past her lol...)

• Heart 2

Let's say it's good being honest but it's not good being mean. Just the right medium in order to not take the other person's integrity/morals/respect away like they are not a human being and they deserve 0.

Also depending on the situation.

But like one of my fav traps once said "A true troll never lies" so I'd say just talk after thinking,  don't betrayed yourself either and you will not mess up that much.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, ParadiseLost said:

Would you have told her in this situation, even though it hurt her?

You made a moral decision. You had no clue that your mom was going to behave the way she did. That's not on you. That's on your mom. Don't beat yourself up about it. 

I dealt with similar problem. My father hated my mom so much that when I went back to living with her. He cut ties with me. He flat out disowned me. I haven't spoken to my old man for 18 years. 

But I don't blame myself. I was a ch*ld. He's in control of himself. He makes his own decisions. He chose to be immature about the whole thing and he took his anger out on a ch*ld. I believe I'm a bigger man then he'll ever be. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Mr.Dawn said:

You made a moral decision. You had no clue that your mom was going to behave the way she did. That's not on you. That's on your mom. Don't beat yourself up about it. 

I dealt with similar problem. My father hated my mom so much that when I went back to living with her. He cut ties with me. He flat out disowned me. I haven't spoken to my old man for 18 years. 

But I don't blame myself. I was a ch*ld. He's in control of himself. He makes his own decisions. He chose to be immature about the whole thing and he took his anger out on a ch*ld. I believe I'm a bigger man then he'll ever be. 

Wow, I'm sorry he did that. That's crazy immature. I don't get how parents can put personal feuds above their own ch*ldren. Has he tried to reach out to you since?

I've never really experienced the 'unconditional love' you hear about from parents, but it s*cks that it's not the case for some of us.

I'll admit, I lied a lot through my adolescence. If I was seeing a boy, or my friends' parents weren't going to be at home if I was sleeping over, stuff that would have meant I had zero social life outside of school otherwise because my parents were so strict. I wish I didn't have to lie, but it was that or live miserably with no friends, so, at the time, I did what I had to do.

Wow, I'm sorry he did that. That's crazy immature. I don't get how parents can put personal feuds above their own ch*ldren. Has he tried to reach out to you since?

I called him 11 and a half years ago when my ex wife was pregnant with our first. He didn't recognize my voice until I told him who I was. He than said he wasn't interested, that he was done, and to have a nice life before hanging up. I gave him every opportunity to make things right. He still wants to be a f;ucktard. 

I've never really experienced the 'unconditional love' you hear about from parents, but it s*cks that it's not the case for some of us.

Unconditional is rare. It's almost fictional in a sense. You can't love your partner unconditionally if they go out and screw around on you with other women or get thos women pregnant with love c;hildren. You'd be done and everyone in your life would be telling you that you were an idiot for staying with him.

Everything is conditional as far as I can see. 

I'll admit, I lied a lot through my adolescence. If I was seeing a boy, or my friends' parents weren't going to be at home if I was sleeping over, stuff that would have meant I had zero social life outside of school otherwise because my parents were so strict. I wish I didn't have to lie, but it was that or live miserably with no friends, so, at the time, I did what I had to do.

I get it. No judgment here. I did the some of the same things when I was a young boy in high school. 

• Heart 1

20 hours ago, Mr.Dawn said:

I called him 11 and a half years ago when my ex wife was pregnant with our first. He didn't recognize my voice until I told him who I was. He than said he wasn't interested, that he was done, and to have a nice life before hanging up. I gave him every opportunity to make things right. He still wants to be a f;ucktard. 

Well, it sounds like you're better off without him to be honest! The idea that we have to love and respect our parents without question is bulls***t. If they don't show us that respect back, why should be extend the same courtesies?

20 hours ago, Mr.Dawn said:

Unconditional is rare. It's almost fictional in a sense. You can't love your partner unconditionally if they go out and screw around on you with other women or get thos women pregnant with love c;hildren. You'd be done and everyone in your life would be telling you that you were an idiot for staying with him.

Everything is conditional as far as I can see. 

This hit home today after some fun news, lol. Love is conditional when it's a choice, I totally agree. I guess I've always wanted unconditional love from my parents, especially because I've simply never had it, and not even because I am a crap ch*ld. I feel like with other parents I would have had it, I just hit bad luck being born to my parents. Maybe it's entitled though, like if we are aware that we shouldn't unconditionally love our parents if they treat us badly, then maybe you're right and love needs to be earned, whether it's to and from your family or a partner. 

We've hugely digressed anyway, maybe a new topic on this would be more appropriate 😄

7 hours ago, Sam Sarus said:

I lied to my pos parents all the time I was afraid of them... I left them behind an started a better life for myself...

Good for you! Seriously! 

But I think this is a valid point - sometimes lying is okay if you are actually at risk or in danger. But as long as it's a choice because you're actually safeguarding yourself, not just because it's the easier route. There are two sides to it for sure though.

Edited by ParadiseLost
  • Heart 1

Honesty is the best policy . As long as you strive to do the right things and be the best person you can be then by all account please be honest  and don't lie BUT if you tend to do  negative things then by all means lie your a** off cuz it's better than constantly spreading your  doom and gloom and negative vibes everywhere ......and the people closest to u will always be able to tell the difference..and can react according ly if that makes since summer-2615003.thumb.jpg.6b829885bcceca2acb647659dfbf0520.jpgarmageddon-2570996.thumb.jpg.49eecfb30453adf80730ef4854109577.jpg