Do you tip?

Mr.Dawn

I always tip, even if it’s been subpar service. After working with delivery drivers for 10+ years, which is similar to servers but also different, I’ve seen firsthand how demoralizing getting stiffed can be for employees who are paid much less and rely on tips to make most of their living. 
Also, there can be things beyond the servers control that lead to a less than perfect experience and its unfair to take pay away from them because of things that they couldn’t control or change. 

I really think there needs to be an overhaul in how servers and delivery drivers are paid. 

The tipping culture is very different in the UK. Most bills have a service charge automatically added - if there is I won’t tip, because that service charge gets split between not just the waiting staff but the chefs, dishwashers, cleaning staff etc. If there is no service charge, I usually tip, and especially if the service has been great. Usually 10% of the bill total is the appropriate amount.

• Elites

I always tip, you never truly know what someone is going through. It is possible to catch a person having a bad day. You never know if the tip you provide can make them smile a little more and feel burdened a little less. 

My sister’s boyfriend (whom used to be a waiter) once said we shouldn’t tip this guy because he did a bad job (which he did, but he was still really nice) and said he would learn from that. I was like no, I’m not doing that. Especially if they weren’t even rude. I would just feel bad. I don’t care how new the person is. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I always tip. That’s what I was taught to do by my mom and how I was raised. I’ve even tipped people that were rude to me before..

Edited by summerlusk