Jump to content

Common and/or possible STEREOTYPES about your state.... & the people who live there


bones
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Elites

I find this topic, funny, well, because I'm from New Jersey. So that means .. I pretty much remind everyone I am. 

Now this is ALL in good taste, I enjoy making fun of myself, and hey, nothin' is going on at work so....

But, I'm so interested in knowing what stereotypes there are within other states. I'll start.

1. Horrible drivers. - I would say.. aggressive.

2. We do not pump gas. - True

3. We're a loud bunch, and obnoxious, and rude... - I'm definitely loud. The other two, yeah they come and go..

4. Most of us are Italians. - Hahaha, okay maybe...

5. Pizza. Bagels. 

6. Pork roll. Taylor Ham.

7. Just a giant suburb in relation to Philly and NYC. - Completely false.

8. Mob-affiliated, or close to those. - cazzo stai parlando

9. We say 'Joisey'. - No I f***ing don't, and have never heard it either.

10. Everyone thinks that there is just one 'Jersey Shore'. "But no, I wanted to go to the JERSEY shore!" - The original MTV show Jersey Shore was filmed in Seaside Heights, NJ. This is one of many beaches along the Jersey Shore. There is also a reason the state banned them from ever filming or returning again.

1461743366_jerseyshore.jpg.43c0e38d4c3ba7ae649169b869f019c6.jpg

11. Tanning and animal prints. - Guilty

12. Yes, a lot of New York teams practice and play here.

13. We f***ing hate Bennies. - Yes, that's why they're Bennies. I see your NY plate.

14. We say we hate it, but are loyal to NJ on an unhealthy level when someone insults our home state. - Truest statement here.

Curious as to what other states' stereotypes may be, true or not... Always lived in the Tri-State Area so I would love to see the variations state by state...

Help: I'm bored.

  • Funny 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Elites
10 minutes ago, summerlusk said:

Well people think everyone here is liberal, but that’s not true. I’ll just use this meme to sum it up 😋:

9F29E074-9F1C-42C4-8613-0DB6601E2B0F.thumb.jpeg.aa177582ded1a78e36bdc2fe147df581.jpeg

Hahahaha, I always feel like an outcast when I visit CA. 

Oh boy, do I love it though.

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Texas, 

somehow despite my best effort we still vote in Ted Cruz. So all the negative stereotypes are unfortunately very true. 

Don’t move here. It’s a very uncaring state. Seen a lot of people move here for “lower cost of living” and then be stunned at just how completely uncaring this state is. Our unemployment before the pandemic was $210 A MONTH. And it’s insanely hard to qualify at all. During the pandemic it was $600 a month. And that was all federal money. Texas didn’t contribute state money at all. It’s an at will employment state. Companies have full support to just get rid of anyone at any time for any reason. If it’s not a federal labor law, it’s not here. It’s much safer to work in other states than it is here. 

Annnnd there is a reason that if you can get a helpful law passed here it will spread around the country. It’s super freaking hard to pass helpful laws here. Even harder to keep them. Baby Moses took forever and if I don’t constantly watch it Austin will try and pick it apart. 
 

Baby Moses is a law that prevents “dumpster” babies. Or people abandoning their newborns in hidden places. It decriminalizes leaving your baby in a safe area with medical care available if you can’t take care of it. And installed warmed drop boxes at fire and police stations and hospitals. 
 

this how I know pro-life people are full of s***t. Because this law actually DOES save the lives of actual babies and the same people who scream pro-life about ab***ion are trying to dismantle the law and make safe abandonment criminal again. Anyone who wants to bring back dumpster baby corpses is a monster. 
 

sorry for rant. I’m real exhausted with where I live

and yeah Ted Cruz is the perfect example of the general attitude a lot of Texans have. It’s not everyone here, but it’s enough to make it feel like h**l. 

 

Edited by Ghostie
  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bones said:

I find this topic, funny, well, because I'm from New Jersey. So that means .. I pretty much remind everyone I am. 

Now this is ALL in good taste, I enjoy making fun of myself, and hey, nothin' is going on at work so....

But, I'm so interested in knowing what stereotypes there are within other states. I'll start.

1. Horrible drivers. - I would say.. aggressive.

2. We do not pump gas. - True

3. We're a loud bunch, and obnoxious, and rude... - I'm definitely loud. The other two, yeah they come and go..

4. Most of us are Italians. - Hahaha, okay maybe...

5. Pizza. Bagels. 

6. Pork roll. Taylor Ham.

7. Just a giant suburb in relation to Philly and NYC. - Completely false.

8. Mob-affiliated, or close to those. - cazzo stai parlando

9. We say 'Joisey'. - No I f***ing don't, and have never heard it either.

10. Everyone thinks that there is just one 'Jersey Shore'. "But no, I wanted to go to the JERSEY shore!" - The original MTV show Jersey Shore was filmed in Seaside Heights, NJ. This is one of many beaches along the Jersey Shore. There is also a reason the state banned them from ever filming or returning again.

1461743366_jerseyshore.jpg.43c0e38d4c3ba7ae649169b869f019c6.jpg

11. Tanning and animal prints. - Guilty

12. Yes, a lot of New York teams practice and play here.

13. We f***ing hate Bennies. - Yes, that's why they're Bennies. I see your NY plate.

14. We say we hate it, but are loyal to NJ on an unhealthy level when someone insults our home state. - Truest statement here.

Curious as to what other states' stereotypes may be, true or not... Always lived in the Tri-State Area so I would love to see the variations state by state...

Help: I'm bored.

Well, I’m originally from New York so I represent both New York & jersey ... *Sigh* a giant huge part of me can definitely without a doubt say that i am NOT a fan of New Jersey 😂😂😂 so that loyal aspect for me is way off. 

  • Funny 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bones said:

I find this topic, funny, well, because I'm from New Jersey. So that means .. I pretty much remind everyone I am. 

Now this is ALL in good taste, I enjoy making fun of myself, and hey, nothin' is going on at work so....

But, I'm so interested in knowing what stereotypes there are within other states. I'll start.

1. Horrible drivers. - I would say.. aggressive.

2. We do not pump gas. - True

3. We're a loud bunch, and obnoxious, and rude... - I'm definitely loud. The other two, yeah they come and go..

4. Most of us are Italians. - Hahaha, okay maybe...

5. Pizza. Bagels. 

6. Pork roll. Taylor Ham.

7. Just a giant suburb in relation to Philly and NYC. - Completely false.

8. Mob-affiliated, or close to those. - cazzo stai parlando

9. We say 'Joisey'. - No I f***ing don't, and have never heard it either.

10. Everyone thinks that there is just one 'Jersey Shore'. "But no, I wanted to go to the JERSEY shore!" - The original MTV show Jersey Shore was filmed in Seaside Heights, NJ. This is one of many beaches along the Jersey Shore. There is also a reason the state banned them from ever filming or returning again.

1461743366_jerseyshore.jpg.43c0e38d4c3ba7ae649169b869f019c6.jpg

11. Tanning and animal prints. - Guilty

12. Yes, a lot of New York teams practice and play here.

13. We f***ing hate Bennies. - Yes, that's why they're Bennies. I see your NY plate.

14. We say we hate it, but are loyal to NJ on an unhealthy level when someone insults our home state. - Truest statement here.

Curious as to what other states' stereotypes may be, true or not... Always lived in the Tri-State Area so I would love to see the variations state by state...

Help: I'm bored.

I am going to have to do some research on jersey because some of those seem wrong to me and I’ve been living here for years.

Just my outlook I just feel jersey people are quiet and to themselves, New Yorkers are loud and obnoxious, and have no filter most of the time. Dirty jersey tho ya know

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Elites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Steff said:

I am going to have to do some research on jersey because some of those seem wrong to me and I’ve been living here for years.

Just my outlook I just feel jersey people are quiet and to themselves, New Yorkers are loud and obnoxious, and have no filter most of the time. Dirty jersey tho ya know

I understand exactly how you feel. My feelings on Jersey vary everyday.. how could they not. 

Also, working in NYC in the past, I have my comments as well.

(Sometimes ya gotta be born into a crazy Dirty Jerz fam to experience or know these stereotypes, I just happen to fall into a lot of them 🤐)

This is my personal experience growing up in Northern NJ, and besides, yes, they are stereotypes 🙂 

10 minutes ago, Kaitlind said:

I found this page on 10 stereotypes about Georgia and it's accurate lol https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/georgia/ga-stereotypes/

Have always wanted to go to Georgia, I have been to 38 states and not Georgia!  

I would love to go.

Edited by bones
  • Heart 1
  • Star 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Without looking it up let me see if I can pin point the stereo types I may remember, or have come to realization maybe I should say. 

1. There is no such thing as a jersey accent

2. Everyone loves Dunkin Donuts

3. Wawa ... jersey thing, not really a stereotype

5. We do not pump our own gas

6. Plenty of stoners in new jersey

7 . Lots of strip clubs and bars *not a stereotype I know*
 

8. There’s mainly highways & diners

9. Most people from jersey love the shore, although our beaches are not the cleanest or nicest at all.

10. hence, dirty jersey.
 

*actually looked up a couple* 

 

7 minutes ago, bones said:

I understand exactly how you feel. My feelings on Jersey vary everyday.. how could they not. 

Also, working in NYC in the past, I have my comments as well.

(Sometimes ya gotta be born into a crazy Dirty Jerz fam to experience or know these stereotypes, I just happen to fall into a lot of them 🤐)

This is my personal experience growing up in Northern NJ, and besides, yes, they are stereotypes 🙂 

Have always wanted to go to Georgia, I have been to 38 states and not Georgia!  

I would love to go.

Hey yes like you stated, stereo types =] Nice to come across someone who is also from New Jersey tho, so nice to virtually meet cha 👋🏻 

😊🙃

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Elites
2 minutes ago, Steff said:

Without looking it up let me see if I can pin point the stereo types I may remember, or have come to realization maybe I should say. 

1. There is no such thing as a jersey accent

2. Everyone loves Dunkin Donuts

3. Wawa ... jersey thing, not really a stereotype

5. We do not pump our own gas

6. Plenty of stoners in new jersey

7 . Lots of strip clubs and bars *not a stereotype I know*
 

8. There’s mainly highways & diners

9. Most people from jersey love the shore, although our beaches are not the cleanest or nicest at all.

10. hence, dirty jersey.
 

*actually looked up a couple* 

 

1. I agree with the accent, unless you grew up with parents from Manhattan originally (I did), I do pronounce some things I would say in more of a 'New York' accent than a 'New Jersey'.

2. I hate Dunkin - but yes, I know lots of us do love it.

3. Wawa - not really seen too often in Northern NJ. Although there are... some. Northern NJ & Southern NJ differ greatly.

4. Yup, no gas pumping.

5. Of course, many stoners everywhere I believe.

6. Uhhhhh.... I guess? I don't go out of my way to go to strib clubs or bars so maybe I just don't know.

7. Mainly highways/diners, although we have many interstate highways, and yes every town has a diner - we are called the Garden State for a reason and when you research as to why, you may change your opinion 🙂 

8. I do love going down the shore. Let me be very clear: I do not love every single beach that is along the shore. This includes: Bay Head, Atlantic City, Seaside Heights, Wildwood, Belmar (can be fun, I guess, if you're a wild college k*d). I grew up with a family home on the shore in Long Beach Island. Absolutely the best (Beach Haven) beach along the Jersey shore in my opinion. Family friendly, extremely clean, but a ways down the parkway. Just matters where you go, should be with a seasoned shore-goer.

9. I embrace "Dirty Jersey" 🙂

 

When did you move here?

54 minutes ago, Ghostie said:

Texas, 

somehow despite my best effort we still vote in Ted Cruz. So all the negative stereotypes are unfortunately very true. 

Don’t move here. It’s a very uncaring state. Seen a lot of people move here for “lower cost of living” and then be stunned at just how completely uncaring this state is. Our unemployment before the pandemic was $210 A MONTH. And it’s insanely hard to qualify at all. During the pandemic it was $600 a month. And that was all federal money. Texas didn’t contribute state money at all. It’s an at will employment state. Companies have full support to just get rid of anyone at any time for any reason. If it’s not a federal labor law, it’s not here. It’s much safer to work in other states than it is here. 

Annnnd there is a reason that if you can get a helpful law passed here it will spread around the country. It’s super freaking hard to pass helpful laws here. Even harder to keep them. Baby Moses took forever and if I don’t constantly watch it Austin will try and pick it apart. 
 

Baby Moses is a law that prevents “dumpster” babies. Or people abandoning their newborns in hidden places. It decriminalizes leaving your baby in a safe area with medical care available if you can’t take care of it. And installed warmed drop boxes at fire and police stations and hospitals. 
 

this how I know pro-life people are full of s***t. Because this law actually DOES save the lives of actual babies and the same people who scream pro-life about ab***ion are trying to dismantle the law and make safe abandonment criminal again. Anyone who wants to bring back dumpster baby corpses is a monster. 
 

sorry for rant. I’m real exhausted with where I live

and yeah Ted Cruz is the perfect example of the general attitude a lot of Texans have. It’s not everyone here, but it’s enough to make it feel like h**l. 

 

Honestly, thank you for bringing some light to this.

Many people that I am friends with choose to move from NJ to Texas because of the prices being lower. 

You don't ever really know unless you live somewhere.......

53 minutes ago, Onision said:

Stereotypes of my state:

Everyone here is awesome.

</end stereotypes for my state>

Image 003.jpg

Sure, sensei. Sure.

  • Heart 1
  • Star 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, bones said:

1. I agree with the accent, unless you grew up with parents from Manhattan originally (I did), I do pronounce some things I would say in more of a 'New York' accent than a 'New Jersey'.

2. I hate Dunkin - but yes, I know lots of us do love it.

3. Wawa - not really seen too often in Northern NJ. Although there are... some. Northern NJ & Southern NJ differ greatly.

4. Yup, no gas pumping.

5. Of course, many stoners everywhere I believe.

6. Uhhhhh.... I guess? I don't go out of my way to go to strib clubs or bars so maybe I just don't know.

7. Mainly highways/diners, although we have many interstate highways, and yes every town has a diner - we are called the Garden State for a reason and when you research as to why, you may change your opinion 🙂 

8. I do love going down the shore. Let me be very clear: I do not love every single beach that is along the shore. This includes: Bay Head, Atlantic City, Seaside Heights, Wildwood, Belmar (can be fun, I guess, if you're a wild college k*d). I grew up with a family home on the shore in Long Beach Island. Absolutely the best (Beach Haven) beach along the Jersey shore in my opinion. Family friendly, extremely clean, but a ways down the parkway. Just matters where you go, should be with a seasoned shore-goer.

9. I embrace "Dirty Jersey" 🙂

 

When did you move here?

Never believed I had a Jersey accent, miss my NY accent, although it pops around here and there. 

Yes, not a fan of Dunkin or Wawa, I have my silent reasons.

I don’t drive, got my license though, the gas thing is convenient for sure.

Yes you’re right, stoners everywhere, maybe just the crowds I have been around plus not gonna lie...... or say much after that ha. Overall I just feel that jersey is one of those stoner type states. 

I just also feel there are many bars and strip clubs, me? Not a fan myself, I prefer visiting the strip clubs in GTA.... 😂 I have my reasons again.

Ahhh yes *sounding like Jeff goldblum* good old Garden State ❤️
 

Ah the jersey shore the show is a guilty pleasure and nah it doesn’t represent jersey at all. I DO love going down the shore, any board walk. There are also water fronts near me I appreciate and they are a bit more personal. Big fan of Keansburg board walk. Prob spelt it wrong lol

I embrace dirty jersey and yeah it’s a love / hate relationship. Just ehh, I seem to be more on the Frits with jersey. 
 

I am 29 now

Moved here in 2003, was 11 years old. Maybe it’s my town that I dislike more than the actual state of New Jersey. 😂

  • Heart 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, bones said:

1. I agree with the accent, unless you grew up with parents from Manhattan originally (I did), I do pronounce some things I would say in more of a 'New York' accent than a 'New Jersey'.

2. I hate Dunkin - but yes, I know lots of us do love it.

3. Wawa - not really seen too often in Northern NJ. Although there are... some. Northern NJ & Southern NJ differ greatly.

4. Yup, no gas pumping.

5. Of course, many stoners everywhere I believe.

6. Uhhhhh.... I guess? I don't go out of my way to go to strib clubs or bars so maybe I just don't know.

7. Mainly highways/diners, although we have many interstate highways, and yes every town has a diner - we are called the Garden State for a reason and when you research as to why, you may change your opinion 🙂 

8. I do love going down the shore. Let me be very clear: I do not love every single beach that is along the shore. This includes: Bay Head, Atlantic City, Seaside Heights, Wildwood, Belmar (can be fun, I guess, if you're a wild college k*d). I grew up with a family home on the shore in Long Beach Island. Absolutely the best (Beach Haven) beach along the Jersey shore in my opinion. Family friendly, extremely clean, but a ways down the parkway. Just matters where you go, should be with a seasoned shore-goer.

9. I embrace "Dirty Jersey" 🙂

 

When did you move here?

Honestly, thank you for bringing some light to this.

Many people that I am friends with choose to move from NJ to Texas because of the prices being lower. 

You don't ever really know unless you live somewhere.......

Sure, sensei. Sure.

Yeah, the cost of living is lower technically but it’s actually more expensive because we don’t have any of the systems other states take for granted, like worker safety or oversight. There’s no public transit, no help for ch*ld healthcare, no public utility water in most places(you pay for plumbing and well installed), pay to have your own electricity and internet installed. You get nothing. Everything is 100% on you. But at least I get to see republican’ts who talk a big game about self reliability and total freedom fall flat on their face when they get here. 
 

Oh and we just passed open carry guns without needing any license at all. So I can walk into Walmart, buy a gun and carry it like a backpack loaded everywhere I go to look scary if I want to. Yeah the Karens here have firearms. 

Edited by Ghostie
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...