Masks

Someone gave me a valid point. The vaccine doesn't exempt us from contracting it. While I'm not over fond of masks, you can still catch the virus and spread it. 

Vaccinated people can still become infected and spread the virus to others.

Despite high efficacy, vaccine breakthrough cases are rare but inevitable, including infections caused by circulating variants.  From January through May 2021, COVID-NET data from laboratory-confirmed COVID-19-associated hospitalizations in adults ≥18 years of age, for whom vaccination status is known, showed <3% of hospitalizations occurred in fully vaccinated persons. CDC conducts nationwide monitoring of vaccine breakthrough cases resulting in hospitalization or death. In general, symptoms and duration of illness in vaccine breakthrough infections have been attenuated compared with cases among unvaccinated people.(156) Among hospitalized or fat*l breakthrough cases reported to CDC as of July 19, 2021, 74% were aged 65 years or older. One U.S. study observed that 44% of breakthrough infections were among people who were immunocompromised, similar to results reported from Israel.(157, 158) Breakthrough infections may boost immunity; four weeks after an outbreak in a long-term care facility, fully vaccinated residents who experienced breakthrough infections were found to have significantly higher antibody levels than vaccinated individuals who did not experience breakthrough infections.

Article: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/science/science-briefs/fully-vaccinated-people.html

Edited by Terminated

Flu was eradicated with the mask mandate so yes? It’s common courtesy in other countries to wear one when you are sick. It’s more about protecting others from you than protecting yourself from others. Pandemic made me realize how many times me getting sick was sourced at poor fast food workers having to go to work sick to survive and phleming all over my food. Please let’s keep it mandatory for at least food service 

18 minutes ago, Ghostie said:

Flu was eradicated with the mask mandate so yes? It’s common courtesy in other countries to wear one when you are sick. It’s more about protecting others from you than protecting yourself from others. Pandemic made me realize how many times me getting sick was sourced at poor fast food workers having to go to work sick to survive and phleming all over my food. Please let’s keep it mandatory for at least food service 

Agreed. I remember reading an article before COVID even existed about how something like this was coming and it will become common to wear masks here like it is in Asian countries. I kinda thought we should be wearing them before the pandemic even happened because if anyone remembers.. the flu seasons were really bad before the pandemic. 

4 minutes ago, Onision said:

I think everyone should be respectful of the health concerns that others have. Keep others happy. If that means mask, then mask.

It makes me angry when people refuse to wear a mask despite the fact that they’re putting other people at risk.