Your In-Laws/Partner's Family: Do you get along?

Ann

"I was married" but um, no. They hated me the whole 11 years. They never gave me a chance, especially the day we got together. That family hated me from day one and has never given me any reasons why. My ex wife's sister, mother, & some of her other family members boycotted the wedding. NOW! the only reason her mother is getting along with me is because I have sole custody. My ex wife on the other hand had a mental melt down & is heavily into m*eth. She is unable to be a mother. She's not even the women I knew 12 years ago. 

Edited by Terminated
  • Star 1

Well…. Kinda? I don’t think they particularly like me. I’m just kinda different in my upbringing and how I see things, so they vaguely act thr***ened when I try to talk about anything on an equal playing field. It makes me sad, really. I’d like a better relationship, but it’s like they think I think I’m too good for them, when really, I just feel like they don’t accept me for me. Idk. Kinda s*cks. 

• Heart 1

I'm single but I'll answer based on past relationships. I've always gotten on well with the parents of my SO's. If they disliked me, then they were really good actors, lol.

The only person I actually didn't care for much was my ex-hubby's mother, but he didn't care for her much either so it didn't cause disagreements or anything. She was just a very cold woman that had a snooty air about her that just rubbed me the wrong way. She was a misandrist and treated all men with a bit of contempt and prejudice, including her son and even her own grandson (my son) who was just a little boy. I don't know how she treated him after I divorced my ex-hubby. But as far as I know, she didn't dislike me, she was just kind of indifferent, which is sad.

I love my last ex bf's family. He had great parents. They were such loving nice people that it took me longer to break up with him just because of them. It was like breaking up with a whole family instead of just one person. I still miss them to this day.

• Heart 1

I wouldn’t know it if we didn’t get along.

My fiancé’s mother is a strange mix of narc and complete detachment from most reality so she will just lie to my face if she has an issue. But if I clap along with her 2 hour fashion shows I’m mostly on the good side. (This is where she tries on outfits she bought that day and shows them to me one at a time)  Their dad is totally and completely conflict avoidant so he will pretend to be nice too and then later I’ll hear through my fiancé something is an issue. Most of which I would have been happy to fix immediately if he had just told me. I’m slowly learning his body language and preferences so I can anticipate and course correct later. 

gut it’s not like my family isn’t nuts too. Just in a different way ^_^