Should I Take The Doctor's Advice And Use Cannabis?

Imagine that you suffer from epilepsy and horrible debilitating cluster migraines. Both only partially managed by prescription med*cations. Doctors are now encouraging Cannabis to control both. Which way would YOU go? Meds that partially work or Cannabis that has been found to control both?? Would you go with the cannabis angle? Opinions please...??

Edited by NicIllEthainn

13 minutes ago, NicIllEthainn said:

Imagine that suffer from epilepsy and horrible debilitating cluster migraines. Both only partially managed by prescription med*cations. Doctors are now encouraging Cannabis to control both. Which way would YOU go? Meds that partially work or Cannabis that has been found to control both?? Would you go with the cannabis angle? Opinions please...??

Cannabis may get you high. But I wouldn't recommend it. I've seen the long term effects of what it's done to the people in my life. My girlfriend WAS doing the M*arijuana gummies and it caused her to have a melt down. So she doesn't do it anymore. It's not good. 

One guy I used to work with was fine when he was off of it. But when he was on it. He was violent and would act out. If you have mental problems already, WELL BINGO! You just adopted more problems. 

I would just go with what your doctor gives you. 

M*arijuanause causes violent behavior through increased aggressiveness, paranoia, and personality changes (more suspicious, aggressive, and anger). Recent illicit and “medical m*arijuana ” (especially grown by care givers for medical m*arijuana ) is of much high potency and more likely to cause violent behavior.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7084484/#:~:text=m******a use causes violent behavior,likely to cause violent behavior.

The symptoms described by the American Psychiatric Association indicate that the most salient symptoms of withdrawal will present themselves in individuals who use m*arijuana daily or nearly daily for at least a few months.

The symptoms appear within one week after the individual stops smoking m*arijuana and include:

Feelings of anger, irritability, and/or aggressiveness

Sensations of extreme nervousness or anxiety

Disturbances with sleep that can include insomnia or very disturbing dreams and even nightmares

A decrease in appetite that may or may not be associated with a significant loss of weight

Feelings of restlessness and general malaise

The onset of feelings of depression

The inclusion of at least one physical symptom that causes significant distress, such as abdominal pain, fever, chills, sweating, headache, and/or tremors or shakiness.

https://americanaddictioncenters.org/m******a-rehab/withdrawal

Edited by Terminated

• Mod

I'm actually not sure because I'm against Cannabis but if someone really needs it and it's prescribed by a doctor, then I'm ok with that. I guess if I really needed it and the meds weren't working as good, maybe I would try it.

• Star 1

A lot of the “partially working” med*cations are made from cannabis or plants in a related family. My opinion is that the argument between them is often brought up in bad faith at worse or due to ignorance at best. 

pharmaceuticals often are derivatives of so called “natural” remedies. And a main reason they are refined like that is because the original has something negative in it that negates or actively harms the beneficial parts.  

so if there’s a version of something that works the same and doesn’t get you high or do damage in any way…why wouldn’t you take that? The only reason is that you’d want to alter your brain chemistry. Which just like drinking. Do it once and it’s not such a big deal, do it over and over and ;over time you’re going to cause damage.  

On 8/11/2021 at 10:01 AM, Terminated said:

Cannabis may get you high. But I wouldn't recommend it. I've seen the long term effects of what it's done to the people in my life. My girlfriend WAS doing the M*arijuana gummies and it caused her to have a melt down. So she doesn't do it anymore. It's not good. 

One guy I used to work with was fine when he was off of it. But when he was on it. He was violent and would act out. If you have mental problems already, WELL BINGO! You just adopted more problems. 

I would just go with what your doctor gives you. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7084484/#:~:text=m******a use causes violent behavior,likely to cause violent behavior.

https://americanaddictioncenters.org/m******a-rehab/withdrawal

This is why I’ve been afraid to try it. It’s not really that accessible anyway despite it being legal here now compared to other things. I’ve heard conflicting things about it. I’ve heard it can help with anxiety and I’ve heard that it can have the opposite effect.

I use cannabis for my Lyme disease. Mostly CBD, but I personally find it drastically helps my pain. (I’m in a med state, so I have privilege there) I, personally, would rather cannabis products than pharmaceuticals, because historically I’ve had bad reactions to a lot of pain meds. Like, serous serious side effects. With CBD, I have no side effects, nor do I get high or dysfunctional. 

All that being said, it effects everyone differently and I would recommend whatever your doctor recommended, but always get a second opinion if you’re unsure! Your health matters, better to be safe than sorry 

Thanks everyone! I'll take all of your opinions and throw them around in my head for a while. My neurologist is suggesting it for 2 of my conditions. I've been on traditional pharmaceuticals for as long as I can remember with only minimal control. Doctors are seeing it work miracles with epilepsy. That being said, I'm seriously considering it. Not without loads of research though. I'm just really torn. 

On 8/11/2021 at 1:24 PM, Kaitlind said:

I'm actually not sure because I'm against Cannabis but if someone really needs it and it's prescribed by a doctor, then I'm ok with that. I guess if I really needed it and the meds weren't working as good, maybe I would try it.

Thanks for your thoughts Kaitlin!

On 8/12/2021 at 1:12 PM, summerlusk said:

This is why I’ve been afraid to try it. It’s not really that accessible anyway despite it being legal here now compared to other things. I’ve heard conflicting things about it. I’ve heard it can help with anxiety and I’ve heard that it can have the opposite effect.

Thanks for you input summerlusk

On 8/12/2021 at 2:30 PM, LadyDaigona said:

I use cannabis for my Lyme disease. Mostly CBD, but I personally find it drastically helps my pain. (I’m in a med state, so I have privilege there) I, personally, would rather cannabis products than pharmaceuticals, because historically I’ve had bad reactions to a lot of pain meds. Like, serous serious side effects. With CBD, I have no side effects, nor do I get high or dysfunctional. 

All that being said, it effects everyone differently and I would recommend whatever your doctor recommended, but always get a second opinion if you’re unsure! Your health matters, better to be safe than sorry 

Thanks LadyDiagona. Good ro hear from someone who is taking it. 

• Heart 1