Do you think essential oils have any actual uses?

I think that they do have some benefit but it's psychological and I don't feel they can help physical issues. Kinda like the placebo effect. But that doesn't really matter as long as long as they make you feel better in some way.

Of course, it depends what you're using them for, too. I mean, for instance I have quite a few medical issues and severe pain most days and if someone handed me essential oils to try when I was in agony I think I'd smash them over their head, lol.

Here's an official answer:

The National Institute of Health provides a thorough summary via the US National Library of Medicine of research conducted into the efficacy of essential oils. Currently, there is no evidence-backed research showing any illnesses that can be cured through the use of essential oils or the practice of aromatherapy. The results on the other possible benefits of essential oils as, for example, mood elevators or stress relievers, are more mixed. But most are still inconclusive.

One of the scientific studies that have revealed positive results from essential oils involves patients with dementia. Although, contrary to common lore, drinking a tablespoon of fish oil every day won’t likely stave off dementia, there is evidence that balm from lemon oil reduces agitation in patients with dementia according to a study in the Journal of Clinical Psychiatry.

This is where it's from: https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/science/do-essential-oils-work-heres-what-science-says

So... you know, if the science says no, maybe no *shrugs*

But you know... people like them so whatever I guess.

• Heart 2

I’ve tried them and they never worked for me. I guess the placebo effect didn’t work in my case. The weird thing is that’s never worked for me, but somehow listening to certain types of music has. Once I had a really bad migraine and it went away while I was listening to ambient music. It’s also more effective in making me feel less anxious and more relaxed/calm.

I feel like certain oils are not super effective but it can help a little, like  peppermint oil can help ease the pressure and tension around the  temples if you put it on that area. 

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Minty said:

I feel like certain oils are not super effective but it can help a little, like  peppermint oil can help ease the pressure and tension around the  temples if you put it on that area. 

Oh thats interesting. Like relieve a headache a bit?

Edited by Anna Chandler

I don't believe essential oils could help someone with physical health/disease but they could help mentally/emotionally.

Certain scents can make some people happy, aroused & relaxed. 

Woodsy scents like sandlewood & patchouli make me feel calm.