Online Trolls

Ann

Why do you think people actually troll so much online? You know what I mean, right? The accounts that seem to exist literally to spew only h**e? Often, especially on twitter, those type of troll accounts have som*thing stupid like, 4 followers...and when you check all their tweets, it's all literally h**e, directed at one (or sometimes a few) people. Thousands of hateful messages etc. 

My question  - why does the Internet bring out the idiots, like this? Do you reckon these idiots actually believe being sh!tty to someone they disagree with is the right thing to do? Or are they just bored neanderthals? Is it just the anonymity of the net brings out the lowest IQ numb skulls? 

Do you think websites should do more to close down these accounts? 

I think websites should be doing more to moderate and close accounts like this. 

• Star 1

• Mod

I think they do it because they have their own issues and take it out on people online. They probably wouldn't act that way IRL. Som*thing about hiding behind a screen makes them feel like they can do or say anything. I agree that social media sites should delete their accounts, but there are probably so many that they can't delete all of them. 

• Heart 1
  • Star 1

18 minutes ago, Kaitlind said:

I think they do it because they have their own issues and take it out on people online. They probably wouldn't act that way IRL. Som*thing about hiding behind a screen makes them feel like they can do or say anything. I agree that social media sites should delete their accounts, but there are probably so many that they can't delete all of them. 

Matt Richards GIF by HQ Trivia

I definitely agree 💕

• Heart 1
  • Star 1

One of the best ways to tackle it is to ensure people can't start multiple accounts... as it's always people with a variety of accounts under pseudonyms that start this rubbish

• Elites
Posted (edited)

Sometimes trolling can be in jest/cute (like rick rolls, etc) but negative trolling just enters the realm of cyberbullying, and those trolls are not ok mentally  and have their own demons 

Edited by Kitsunebliss
  • Heart 1

• Elites

I think there are a few reasons why people troll online. They more than likely have issues irl, they can hide behind a screen, they like the attention and reactions, and they know they can get away with it. 

The only way to feel safe online is to either not be online or don’t put any personal information online. There will always be someone that will want to use your personal information against you because they see you as an easy target or they just don’t agree with how you are. 

• Heart 1
  • Star 1

Trolls create accounts solely to troll. They’re bored and/or have issues, so they take out their aggression online and can do so anonymously. I’ve actually heard people admit this, so yeah. They don’t act like they do online, offline. They’re a completely different person. They just h**e their lives I guess and use trolling as an outlet to get their anger out.

• Heart 1
  • Star 1

30 minutes ago, paperandsky said:

Trolls create accounts solely to troll. They’re bored and/or have issues, so they take out their aggression online and can do so anonymously. I’ve actually heard people admit this, so yeah. They don’t act like they do online, offline. They’re a completely different person. They just h**e their lives I guess and use trolling as an outlet to get their anger out.

Mad isn't it, that people actually spend time that way. That they actually get a kick from trashing other people. Wish they were forced to face up to their actions.

• Star 2

7 hours ago, Kaitlind said:

11 years ago. Blizzard did the REAL ID to shine the spot light on trolls who go on their websites and ab**e other members. Blizzard felt that anonymity causes problems because trolls know that if they don't get caught and no one knows who they are, there are no consequences. Blizzard didn't agree with that idea. 

Anonymity can be a great form of protection. It's the reason why things like voice modulators, ski-masks and internet aliases exist (okay, maybe not the sole reason). All of these things can let you act with less inhibition. They allow you to do things that maybe you wouldn't do if people knew your real identity.

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/120220/InDepth_Why_Was_Blizzards_Real_ID_Such_An_Issue.php

I honestly wouldn't mind having that added here if it meant keeping out the a*ssholes if they knew it would come back and haunt them in real life. They know not to go and share their unpopular opinions or annoy people on Facebook. Because people know who they are and where they work. They'd be making big problems for themselves if they did that and they can't have that. So why is it okay to come on here and say stupid sh*it?

Edited by Terminated
  • Star 1

On 7/30/2021 at 9:17 PM, Shar said:

I think trolls are scary. If that's how they want to behave with a little anonymity online I can't imagine what kind of person they are internally.

6 years ago. I was a moderator on a forum.  There was this one troll from that particular forum that traced my IP address and started making threats insinuating that they were going to either end or do me and my ex wife bodily harm. This was back when we were married. 

Trolls have nothing better to do with their time and are the typical troublemakers and bullies who haven't grown up. 

I was watching a stream yesterday on YouTube where a guy had been ab*sing his young niece and a group was going to catch him and hand him in to the police. Some troll rang the catcher's phone pretending to be the guy’s mother saying she would bring him down to where the catching group was. I think you can see where this is heading... They sat and waited and then someone in the chat claimed it had been them pretending to be the guy’s mother. They nearly lost the guy who was doing unspeakable things just because a troll thought it would be funny to dupe them. This is the kind of trolling that makes me really angry.

On 8/2/2021 at 12:35 PM, Ghost said:

This is the kind of trolling that makes me really angry.

Not to mention cyberbullying causes suicides and school shootings. Laws need to be stricter. Anonymity is okay if you're not going to cause trouble. Countries need to impose a way where no trolls can be truly anonymous at all. The government needs to make Internet providers give people an ID tag on the Internet, not their IP Address because they can hide that with a VPN or Proxy, that shows on the Internet and if they go and h'arass someone. That person can sue or press charges over h'arassment. 

Edited by Mr.Dawn