Has the Internet had more of a positive or negative effect on society?

Ann

The Internet  - for better or worse? What's your thoughts?

I use the internet a lot. Probably spend too much time online, I'll admit. But I've always wondered whether it's been a good thing for society or not.

There's some pretty huge negatives: 

I think social media has promoted "herd mentality" so that anyone who remotely dares to act or think differently as an individual, can get "called out" or "cancelled" over the most stupid things. 

The Internet has been used to rouse people up into hashtag frenzies like #MeToo but ended up completely in the wrong direction. Literally messed up lives. 

Then we have the anonymity of the net, which gives bored co*a*ds the chance to spew h**e that they'd never dare do in the real world.

So many darker sides to it, right? .... However I wouldn't want a world without the Internet now. I love that it makes life easier for basics like shopping, keeping in touch with friends/family. Working life. And let's face it, we have all enjoyed Onision's videos because the Internet was a medium he worked through 😛

I guess like everything in life, there's good and bad points but the Internet has definitely given the idiots a platform to spew h**e and I can't stand that side of things. 

Why that all depends on the eye of the beholder...how one interpreted it....and if they are mature, intelligent, and understanding that EVERYONE SEES, READS, and interprets things much differently than others. Now the ability to accept that neither persons wrong or right. Perhaps were all right and thats ok. Accept it or not its THEIR TRUTH SO IT IS. IM SO GLAD ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUALLY....POOR THINGS. OPEN YOUR MIND TO ALL TRUTHS...ACCEPT IT ..OR NOT....BUT remember if were all cookie cutter robots..how BORING LIFE WOULD BE.

IMG_48251.jpg

FB_IMG_1615064780854.jpg

images.png

• Elites

When I was a k*d there was no internet. I can remember taking a computer class in private school when I was in the 4th grade but it was all basic things. Until I was a teenager, the internet wasn’t really a thing.

I’ve seen a lot of good and a lot of bad. It changed friends calling each other or just hanging out. People had private lives. No one knew who you voted for or anything like that. I think the internet is an amazing tool, you can look up information, listen to music, watch videos and make friends.

But there is also the dark side to it. People hide who they are and lie. People will blast your personal life over the internet and try to ruin you. You can be anyone behind a screen. It’s extremely hard to trust just anyone over the internet because you don’t know their true intentions. People can get so s*cked into it that they don’t really live a life outside it. 

I do think the internet has opened a lot of doors, but also took a bit away from society. Opinions use to not be a bad thing and people just accepted that everyone sees things differently. It’s really all about how to use the internet. I can’t imagine living without it now. 

The Internet has been a huge improvement for people. I remember in the 90's when it really took off. It's made it very easy for people to communicate and to work and watch tv. Not only is it a source of communication. But it's also become useful for shopping and for our entertainment. 

I don’t know. It’s not like the world was a great place before the internet. Bullying still existed, IRL. Social media just gives people another outlet to do it. I don’t think cyberbullying is as bad or worse. It’s easier to deal with online, just block them. You can’t do that IRL. There are other aspects of it that are negative and some that are positive.

For me, it's positive purely because I don't engage in any of the sh*t talking most people do. I tend to do my own thing.

But, as a reader, I have read a lot about internet culture, and I think the best way to describe the negativity that happens online is that it has allowed people in society who were already predisposed to ******, misogynistic , xenophobic, etc, ideologies to express their opinions more freely, so the internet has really just amplified tensions that were already present.