Do you believe in karma?

• Mod

Yeah pretty much. It hasn't happened to me because I haven't done anything to get karma lol. I believe it happened to an ex-friend of mine though. I wasn't happy that it happened because I didn't want anything bad to happen to her. She's fine, it was just a scary and ironic moment.

• Heart 2

I’m not sure if it’s karma, but I believe in consequences. This might be a bad example.. but let’s take COVID, a lot of people that don’t believe it’s real, don’t care about putting others at risk by traveling, not getting vaccinated, not social distancing, generally being insanely selfish a***oles.. end up getting it. They could end up in the hospital and God forbid, d*e. Or their loved ones could. I heard someone make a joke about people d***g and saying “good, less people in the world”. The comment kind of made me livid. He said he got kicked out of a store for refusing to wear a mask and tbh, that gave me joy because he deserved it. He said he was surprised because they “knew” him there. Like grow the f*** up. People aren’t as f***ed up as you, they don’t care if they know you. He’s the type of person that never thinks anything bad will happen to him or anything in his life and takes things for granted. It’s starting to bite him in the a** from things I have heard. He’s in for a rude awakening and I don’t think it’s karma, it may be, I just think it’s the logical consequences of his unwise behavior.

Edited by paperandsky
  • Heart 1

10 minutes ago, Onision said:

If Karma is real, explain Donald Trump.

Will Ferrell Lol GIF by NBA

Explain babies being born with defects.

Season 2 Episode 3 GIF by Parks and Recreation

Yeah, I don’t believe in karma.. just consequences that happen in a logical way. Not like in an otherworldly or superstitious sense. Just like if you play with fire, you’re going to get burned.

Edited by paperandsky
  • Heart 1

On 7/21/2021 at 11:37 AM, Definitely_different said:

Do you believe in karma? Do you think karma has happened to you? I am a huge believer in karma. 

No. Because I'm an Atheist. I do not believe in Karma as it is part of the Hindu religion and comes from scriptures in The Vedas. I have never understood why Christians claim to believe in teachings from another religion as that is a sin in the Christian Religion because it is a Pagan concept. 

Now as a man is like this or like that,
according as he acts and according as he behaves, so will he be;
a man of good acts will become good, a man of bad acts, bad;
he became pure by pure deeds, bad by bad deeds;

And here they say that a person consists of desires,
and as is his desire, so is his will;
and as is his will, so is his deed;
and whatever deed he does, that he will reap.

— Brihadaranyaka Upanishad, Hymns 4.4.5-4.4.6

Oh yes!  I was recently involved in a road rage incident.   A lady followed me home, pulled me out of my car and started screaming at me and shoving me around.  I smelled alcohol and grabbed my phone to take a pic of her license plate.  As I was behind her car, she threw it in reverse and hit me, knocking my phone out of my hands.  It landed on her trunk and she took off.  When the cops got there, I got my Life360 friend to look up were my phone was.  They went to the address and there was my phone still on her trunk.  She got charged with hit and run and dui.  Karma 

• Star 2

2 hours ago, ATOMIC BLONDE said:

Oh yes!  I was recently involved in a road rage incident.   A lady followed me home, pulled me out of my car and started screaming at me and shoving me around.  I smelled alcohol and grabbed my phone to take a pic of her license plate.  As I was behind her car, she threw it in reverse and hit me, knocking my phone out of my hands.  It landed on her trunk and she took off.  When the cops got there, I got my Life360 friend to look up were my phone was.  They went to the address and there was my phone still on her trunk.  She got charged with hit and run and dui.  Karma 

Holy crap. I'm glad to know you're okay. 💕 I'm so sorry that happened to you.  That would be terrifying. 

• Heart 1

I think karma is one of the most repugnant ideas humans have ever created. To look at anyone who is suffering and claim they must have done som*thing to deserve it is a sickeningly egregious and idiotic belief, even by religious standards.

On 7/28/2021 at 11:01 AM, Mr.Dawn said:

I think karma is one of the most repugnant ideas humans have ever created. To look at anyone who is suffering and claim they must have done som*thing to deserve it is a sickeningly egregious and idiotic belief, even by religious standards.

Take a look at your words, how extreme they are.

I suggest correcting extreme language early, as the world is rarely accurately extreme.

How I feel about karma 

D335745C-9314-4DD0-9E93-73F059719700.pngIt’s a very comforting bandaid to help people make sense of a world that really doesn’t care about what we do. 

we need to be kind karma or not. Not cause it’s right or because we will be rewarded but because kindness for its own sake is just worth doing. 

On 7/28/2021 at 1:01 PM, Mr.Dawn said:

I think karma is one of the most repugnant ideas humans have ever created.

I’d debate that isn’t actually karma you’re talking about but the just world fallacy. Unfortunately do not live in an inherently just world. Bad things happen to good people all the time. And I totally understand why that would make you upset. It is terribly unfair. Only thing we can do to combat this is be fair ourselves since the world probably won’t be. 

Edited by Ghostie
Clarification
  • Heart 1

10 minutes ago, Onision said:

Ever hear the story of the giving tree?

The tree that gave and gave and got nothing in return.

1 minute ago, MysticDawn said:

The tree that gave and gave and got nothing in return.

But yet to give, doesn't that in itself bring happiness? To see the smiles that you're gaven. 

So many ways of seeing it really.

Karma is Hindu & it’s a misconception amongst people who don’t know the real meaning. Googling it won’t help you, hearing Christians or other non Hindus saying “karma is a b**ch” or karma will get you…has confused many people who this concept doesn’t apply to, anyway. Read the Vedas or the Bhagavad Gita to truly understand, karma isn’t to get something back in this life necessarily. You can be a selfless person here and that doesn’t mean you will gain riches. Dharma is also a word that has a lot of meaning and references to this subject/concept.

How confusing it must be to take KARMA out of context and use it as a way to scare people or convince them to be good. In Hinduism- you have a right to your actions, not the fruit of them…that means you cannot hold onto getting something in return or acting decent to have “decent karma” it doesn’t “work” that way pun intended. 

Krishna Janmashtami Indian GIF

• Heart 1

On 7/28/2021 at 11:01 AM, Mr.Dawn said:

I don’t really believe in karma, but you basically called at 99% of the people in this thread idiots if you look at the answers. 😂

My ex was agnostic (I’d say atheist, but he rejected that label) and we talked about this. He said he doesn’t believe in karma, just consequences like what I said. I’m not an atheist, but I agree with that. 

Edited by summerlusk

5 minutes ago, summerlusk said:

I don’t really believe in karma, but you basically called at 99% of the people in this thread idiots if you look at the answers.

Wait what?

6 minutes ago, summerlusk said:

99% of the people in this thread idiots if you look at the answers.

Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN

6 minutes ago, summerlusk said:

people in this thread idiots

Aaron Paul What GIF by Breaking Bad

2 hours ago, summerlusk said:

Okay, maybe not calling them idiots, but they said believing in karma is idiotic.

…hmm. There is evidence it is real. There is evidence it is not real.

39DE7F73-D4CD-462B-BCD1-895F88FBF64D.jpeg

So… if a man smokes all his life… is d***g of lung c*ncer not karma?

If that is karma, how is believing in, at least some instances of karma… idiotic?

1 minute ago, Onision said:

…hmm. There is evidence it is real. There is evidence it is not real.

39DE7F73-D4CD-462B-BCD1-895F88FBF64D.jpeg

So… if a man smokes all his life… is d***g of lung c*ncer not karma?

If that is karma, how is believing in, at least some instances of karma… idiotic?

Not my words. They were @Mr.Dawn’s. But yeah, I don’t think it’s idiotic to believe in karma. I just call them consequences.

On 9/3/2021 at 1:56 AM, Onision said:

Ever hear the story of the giving tree?

Doesn’t eventually the old man come back? I’ve never been able to figure out the lesson in that book. Give everything and eventually the taker will come back after they have explored all other options?