Ever Had A BAD Therapy Session?

I think every therapist I've ever had has been bad. I never found the right fit with one... I was always uncomfortable. I just always felt like they didn't really care and didn't really help. The only thing that helped was being able to go and say whatever I thought without fear of repercussions. I would say without fear of judgment, but they were probably silently judging me, lol.

I've only ever had male therapists. Maybe that had som*thing to do with my comfort level. 🤔 I dunno, I just stopped going once I dropped a load of crap I was holding off and then I felt better.

I think most everyone has som*thing to offer... you just need to find what it is that each specific therapist is good at... maybe what their specialty is and how that can help you... they may seem generic, like a basic therapist, but maybe there is more, what are their passions, and how can that change your life for the better.

A conversation goes two ways, they are paid to help you, but they can help you more if you help them help you... or so that's what I've gotten from therapy so far.

• Heart 2
  • Star 1

Finding the right fit is important. I think the worst session was with this lady who told me I should consider prayer. In therapy I look for practical coping skills or active things I can do. Prayer is fine but it’s passive, basically guided meditation. 

bruh I do not know why I come off as some heathen who really needs to be saved by Jesus. Maybe it’s just where I live but geez. Lay off. I didn’t spend so much time in high school studying and agonizing over religion for this. I always feel like:

C3219AFC-EDBD-4BF6-9E84-51AE467CB1CB.png

This topic applies and I just need to vent about this cause it was kinda recent:

not my therapist but I consider whoever gave the guy who SA/R me the advice that he should track down my new address and show up and knock on my door to apologize to be the worst therapist of all time. 

Any therapist who deserves certification would have said f*** “getting closure” and had them work on forgiving themself and left me out of it. That’s what my therapist tells me about people I have wronged. It’s selfish of me to barge in when contact isn’t wanted so I feel better cause I apologized. People go no contact for a reason. 

I let the cops handle it. Because sorry but in no reasonable reality is that going to end well. 

I’ve been trying to figure out who the therapist is so I can report them but so far all I’ve been able to hunt down is that they were through better help. That app is such BS. Who even knows if they were a legit therapist, but that advice was just plain dangerous. 

Edited by Anna Chandler
Spelling
  • Heart 1

I once had a therapist who told me I was stupid because of the way I felt about som*thing and it really bothered me. It wasn't helpful or constructive, just putting a negative label on me 

• Heart 1

I had one really good councilor at the Behavioral Healthcare Clinic. The guy was awesome. But then he left to do counseling sessions with people over at the dr*ug Rehabilitation Center in town. The next guy was an old man. He mocked me and was very sarcastic. I got up and walked out on him. 

My first therapist was great, they let me research u**y trainers on their computer as a distraction whilst talking to them about stuff - it was super comfy with zero pressure which meant we were able to get somewhere organically and lots of progress was made.

The second therapist experience didn’t go down so well:

1. They told me they felt connected to me in the very first session.

2. They asked me leading questions about my ch*ldhood and then twisted the details that I gave them to make it seem like som*thing truly horrifying happened when it just didn’t.

3. They told me they sensed certain emotions that I wasn’t feeling at all and didn’t seem to like me correcting them on my own emotions.

4. They criticized me for lightly touching on a topic and then shifting quickly away not seeming to realize that this a basic coping mechanism that’s often utilized when revisiting trauma. They instead decided it was appropriate to generate more guilt for me in that moment.

5. They interrogated me as to what would happen if they were the same as everyone else and proceeded to try and paint themselves as this saviour that was no threat to me whatsoever, encouraging me to share my darkest nightmares with them freely. I know this is kind of what they’re meant to do but I didn’t like their approach and I felt like I was being manipulated by them. Ultimately, I didn’t trust them for aforementioned reasons and I removed myself from the situation.

I hope my spelling is okay, I’ve tried to adjust to American spelling but I’m not used to it so probably made some mistakes.

• Star 1

• Elites

Dude, I recently decided I would sign up for 'BetterHelp', they advertise 24/7 live session messaging back and forth. You are also able to schedule video sessions with them and live sessions with them via messaging where the messaging is more consistent.

I was matched with 3 different 'Therapists', rewrote the same speal to all of them, and never got a response or help.

If you're considering, don't waste your $300 per month.

Edited by bones
  • Heart 1

On 9/1/2021 at 9:51 AM, bones said:

Dude, I recently decided I would sign up for 'BetterHelp', they advertise 24/7 live session messaging back and forth. You are also able to schedule video sessions with them and live sessions with them via messaging where the messaging is more consistent.

I was matched with 3 different 'Therapists', rewrote the same speal to all of them, and never got a response or help.

If you're considering, don't waste your $300 per month.

Betterhelp is so bad. They don’t vet their therapists so you could literally sign up today and just pass as one. It’s so bad that lately when people tell me they’ve been going to therapy I have to ask where and if it’s betterhelp then it doesn’t count for me. I’d take basic AA or NA over betterhelp even though both of those groups aren’t the most healing things ever. Betterhelp is no better then venting to some rando on Twitter dms. Sure it probably is helpful for some but it’s not professional help. Good thing there’s free stuff like MHMR out there though since you can just go there instead of betterhelp and at least get something somewhat helpful. 

• Heart 1

So. My bad therapy experience just involved a lot of confusion. To be fair, they seemed like nice lad**s. But I didn't gain much from our time.

So to start, yes—them. There were 2 lad**s with me for my sessions. Which from the get-go struck me as a bit odd, since I'm used to therapy being a one-on-one thing. One would usually have a notepad to write things down, and the other did the majority of the talking.

They offered me no constructive advice. I would be telling them stories of my past and start crying, and then they seemed to get upset and look as if they're about to cry with me. They'd say "That's awful, I'm so sorry", and come to hug/hold me with some tissues. Which, I am grateful I had someone to vent to but like, a) I'm pretty sure therapists aren't supposed to touch you lol and b) I needed a therapist's advice, not a friend. 

And the cherry on top; The oddest part was that every single session they hooked me up to some kind of brain wave monitoring device—I s***t you not. They never explained to me what it was, but I had to take out my piercings as they attached multiple suction cup looking things to my head, and on a screen it displayed little waves. Back then I just kind of went with it, and looking back I always think 'what the f*** was the point of that??" 

So my sessions were basically crying with two Russian lad**s hugging me while a bunch of wires are attached to my head. It's actually a pretty hilarious image when I look back at it.