Jump to content

Have you had your wisdom teeth removed?


Recommended Posts

  • Elites

If you have gotten them removed, how was your experience? 
 

I got my bottom two out in 2019 and they kept me awake the whole time with Novocain. I must say I did not enjoy hearing my teeth crack. The recovery took super long and I only had ibuprofen for pain meds. I’ve heard mixed things about this being normal. But I had to go back after day three recovery just for more swelling med*cation. 

I recently went to the dentist for pain in my lower jaw near the wisdom area (which is totally healed at this point) and apparently they left an entire root in without telling me and now I had a root impacted on one side. They also left a big chunk of broken tooth loose on the other side that shifted to a weird place on my jaw line. So I got my top two wisdom teeth removed today the root removed bottom left, and my “jaw smoothed” in the right side (all different dentist) This time he put me to sleep and I started waking up during the procedure at the end and omg it hurt like a buttcheek on a stick. I’m home now, on pain meds rewatching Moana over and over while suffering. I don’t think this time went as bad as last time but we will see during the recovery. 😅 

I want to hear someone else’s experience. Was your experience horrendous and so much worse than mine? Was it simple for you? DID THEY LET YOU KEEP YOUR TEETH?? 

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Mod

I got all 4 of mine removed when I was a teenager. They put me to sleep so all I remember is waking up and them saying they were done lol. I didn't have any problems except being sore for a few days.

 

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Elites
8 minutes ago, k*itlind said:

I got all 4 of mine removed when I was a teenager. They put me to sleep so all I remember is waking up and them saying they were done lol. I didn't have any problems except being sore for a few days.

 

What did they give you for pain, if that’s an okay question

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes. I was put under but remember waking up and trying to ask the assistant "am I done yet?"😂 she looked at me panicked and was like "no no no just go back to sleep" so yeah back to sleep super quick, with a chuckle. I was so out of it after I don't remember other than what my mother was laughing about and telling me. Back then they probably put me on som*thing that they try never to do anymore. I don't remember, but I remember being sore and being in pain after. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Elites
24 minutes ago, brittniisundae said:

Yes. I was put under but remember waking up and trying to ask the assistant "am I done yet?"😂 she looked at me panicked and was like "no no no just go back to sleep" so yeah back to sleep super quick, with a chuckle. I was so out of it after I don't remember other than what my mother was laughing about and telling me. Back then they probably put me on som*thing that they try never to do anymore. I don't remember, but I remember being sore and being in pain after. 

See I feel like it shouldn’t be THAT hard to keep someone asleep during surgery lmao why is this so common??? 
that is super funny though I can imagine the panic in her eyes 👀

  • Star 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had all 4 of mine removed when I was about 18-19. I don't remember a lot if it, but I do remember that they broke my teeth before putting me fully under. I distinctly remember hearing and feeling the cracking of my teeth. I was numbed up, but you can still feel it, like the pressure of it not necessarily the pain. Not sure why they did that and then put me under, but that's what happened. My recovery was about a week, maybe two (I don't really remember) and went pretty smoothly. They put me on pain meds, Tylenol with codeine if I remember correctly. 

1 hour ago, Brookeireland said:

What did they give you for pain, if that’s an okay question

I will say that I think in the past 10-15 years doctors have really cracked down on handing out pain meds. Too many doctors caught being too "free" with prescriptions, or illegally making money off them. Plus with the whole opium epidemic and so many people getting addicted to various pills, they don't just hand it out as easily as they used to. They regularly give out lower pain meds like ibuprofen first.

  • Heart 1
  • Star 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Elites
46 minutes ago, OldGreqq said:

I had all 4 of mine removed when I was about 18-19. I don't remember a lot if it, but I do remember that they broke my teeth before putting me fully under. I distinctly remember hearing and feeling the cracking of my teeth. I was numbed up, but you can still feel it, like the pressure of it not necessarily the pain. Not sure why they did that and then put me under, but that's what happened. My recovery was about a week, maybe two (I don't really remember) and went pretty smoothly. They put me on pain meds, Tylenol with codeine if I remember correctly. 

I will say that I think in the past 10-15 years doctors have really cracked down on handing out pain meds. Too many doctors caught being too "free" with prescriptions, or illegally making money off them. Plus with the whole opium epidemic and so many people getting addicted to various pills, they don't just hand it out as easily as they used to. They regularly give out lower pain meds like ibuprofen first.

But the thing is that I told them that I take a ton of ibuprofen for other reasons over the counter and they said if it wasn’t helping the pain that I could call on the second day and they would give me som*thing else but when I called they still refused. Day 3 I had to go back and get a swelling med*cation because my face was so swollen and irritated that I had a hard time even swallowing. I understand why they have cracked down on it, but boy did it stink! I got it done this morning and I can tell you the pain and swelling are a lot better this time around. 

  • Star 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Brookeireland said:

But the thing is that I told them that I take a ton of ibuprofen for other reasons over the counter and they said if it wasn’t helping the pain that I could call on the second day and they would give me som*thing else but when I called they still refused. Day 3 I had to go back and get a swelling med*cation because my face was so swollen and irritated that I had a hard time even swallowing. I understand why they have cracked down on it, but boy did it stink! I got it done this morning and I can tell you the pain and swelling are a lot better this time around. 

Well, considering they obviously did such a botch job the 1st go around, I would just chalk it up to that particular place being a cr*ckp*t dentist. Sorry you had to have that experience, but it sounds like you've found a nice reputable one this go around. 

  • Star 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Brookeireland said:

See I feel like it shouldn’t be THAT hard to keep someone asleep during surgery lmao why is this so common??? 
that is super funny though I can imagine the panic in her eyes 👀

Right? It really is common. That poor lady 😂 I would've panicked too probably, but for some reason that stuck to my memory especially because I believe I heard myself go "ah-haaaa" after seeing her face. I probably couldn't control it. 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Elites
8 minutes ago, OldGreqq said:

Well, considering they obviously did such a botch job the 1st go around, I would just chalk it up to that particular place being a cr*ckp*t dentist. Sorry you had to have that experience, but it sounds like you've found a nice reputable one this go around. 

I probably should say the name so I GUESS I won’t but I swear they are the hooters/marylous of dentistry. They only hire beautiful workers and spend most of their funding on advertising. When I went there for an appointment in October (Close to Halloween) they wouldn’t talk to me for like 10 minutes at the window because they were all behind the desk dressed as Dalmatian puppies trying to take a selfie together. And I couldn’t even do anything because one of the workers was a parent of one of my students and I knew she would cause trouble for me at work. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Elites
1 minute ago, PoptartBarbie said:

When I was 17 about a week before I moved for college. It was hilarious my face was so swollen for my college ID. Lol 😆

I had to keep that s***t for like 3-4 years and looked like a chipmunk.  Obviously it's super painful full and can't really eat after you get it done. But I wasn't a big eater at the time anyways 

Omg what I would give to see this ID photo 😂😂

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Elites
15 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

Bottom 2 when I was a teenager. I remember being sedated but it wasn't that bad.

 

Oooh are you one of the lucky ones that doesn’t have to get the others removed? Or are you going to have to at some point in the future? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got all of my wisdoms pulled when I was 19 by a surgeon. I didn't feel any pain after. Then I went back to the dentist and they numbed up my mouth and removed more of my back teeth that my wisdoms rotted. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Elites

Nope I don’t like having anything done to me involving doctors that isn’t a dire situation. Basically my wisdom teeth were being crushed and was suggested to get pulled out but I just let them do their thing and they came out on their own. I had one painful day I begged for death 😂 but besides that no issues.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Brookeireland said:

Oooh are you one of the lucky ones that doesn’t have to get the others removed? Or are you going to have to at some point in the future? 

Yup. I don't have to get the others removed -- guess I am lucky!

  • Star 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...