What's you opinion on hypnosis? Hypnosis vs meditation .

Kaehx

Sometimes when I'm really anxious or I'm depressed I listen some hypnosis videos on youtube . I'm not sure whether it's good for you or it messes you up . I put a 10-15 min video before falling asleep . Also what's your view on mediation ?is it similar to self hypnosis?

Edited by Kaehx
  • Star 1

I think meditation is a bit different than hypnosis since meditation mainly calms you down and clears your mind. With hypnosis you can change the way you act/think/feel so it's a bit risky on the wrong hands, as long as the people who make the videos are trustworthy it should be all good.

If you want to practice self hypnosis, meditation is a good start but you have to be the hypnotizer as well (talk like they would: "i'm feeling more and more sleepy" "on the count on 10, my headache will go away" etc)

• Heart 1

I don't really know a whole lot about hypnosis so I don't think I'm really qualified to comment on it. Hypnosis (to me) is a tool used to change one's thoughts and actions, like helping someone quit smoking. It can also be used to uncover subconscious thoughts and memories. I've never heard of self-hypnosis, and think it sounds dangerous if the person under hypnosis is also the one acting as the guide. My brain could take me scary places or make me do scary things, so the idea of self-hypnosis freaks me out.

Meditation on the other hand is very good and I highly recommend for it anyone. I think it's different than hypnosis because you are still in control of your thoughts and your brain. The art of practicing mindfulness to become more self-aware is a beautiful thing. 🧘‍♂️🧘‍♀️

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, Joy said:

I think meditation is a bit different than hypnosis since meditation mainly calms you down and clears your mind. With hypnosis you can change the way you act/think/feel so it's a bit risky on the wrong hands, as long as the people who make the videos are trustworthy it should be all good.

If you want to practice self hypnosis, meditation is a good start but you have to be the hypnotizer as well (talk like they would: "i'm feeling more and more sleepy" "on the count on 10, my headache will go away" etc)

That was well put. Respect 🙇‍♀️

2 hours ago, OldGreqq said:

I don't really know a whole lot about hypnosis so I don't think I'm really qualified to comment on it. Hypnosis (to me) is a tool used to change one's thoughts and actions, like helping someone quit smoking. It can also be used to uncover subconscious thoughts and memories. I've never heard of self-hypnosis, and think it sounds dangerous if the person under hypnosis is also the one acting as the guide. My brain could take me scary places or make me do scary things, so the idea of self-hypnosis freaks me out.

Meditation on the other hand is very good and I highly recommend for it anyone. I think it's different than hypnosis because you are still in control of your thoughts and your brain. The art of practicing mindfulness to become more self-aware is a beautiful thing. 🧘‍♂️🧘‍♀️

everyone here is woke

• Heart 1

It doesn't work on everyone. I though it worked like in the movies where someone can get control of you. But even the councilors and therapists stated that it doesn't work like that. My councilor even tried it on me & there was no results. He'd say a bunch of stuff to initiate the process and try to relax me. But it always ended with this awkward silence between the two of us. 

Hypnosis is designed to induce a relaxed and suggestible state of mind. Contrary to popular belief, you are always in control and can't be hypnotised against your will. Hypnosis does not work for everyone.

Article: https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/conditionsandtreatments/hypnosis#:~:text=Hypnosis is designed to induce,does not work for everyone.