Shaming Someone For Being Sick? (Is it moral or immoral?)

3 minutes ago, t*rminated said:

Is it okay to shame someone who gets sick with flu, covid, or any other kind of sickness? Why or why not?

Well, no. Duh. Why would it ever be OK to shame someone for getting sick? That doesn't even make sense to me why someone would do that. 

Now, I will say that the person has to be truly sick. There's a girl at work that calls in sick all the time at work. She should be fired, but we're already operating at the bare minimum and can't afford to lose even one person. I know there's no way she's sick that much, and if she truly is sick, then she needs to go to the doctor and get it doc*mented with HR so she can claim FMLA. Instead she operates in the hole with her vacation time all the time. She's like negative 52 hours in the hole right now 🙄

4 hours ago, OldGreqq said:

Well, no. Duh. Why would it ever be OK to shame someone for getting sick? That doesn't even make sense to me why someone would do that. 

My mother does that. I got flu recently and before I got tested again for covid and flu she was b*itching and griping at me that it was my allergies.

That it was my fault because I dont wear a mask when I mow. I'm sorry. My allergies are not that severe as she plays them up to be. If they were. She'd quit begging me to mow her lawn.

Then when I get a positive test on Friday that I had flu. She doesn't apologize for acting like a total karen / b*itch. She says nothing more. 

I told my grandma that I'm not telling my mom sh*it when I get sick. She doesn't care. She just wants to play the blame game and stress me out.

I've really started to loath my family. I quit going to family get togethers.

26 minutes ago, t*rminated said:

My mother does that. I got flu recently and before I got tested again for covid and flu she was b*itching and griping at me that it was my allergies.

That it was my fault because I dont wear a mask when I mow. I'm sorry. My allergies are not that severe as she plays them up to be. If they were. She'd quit begging me to mow her lawn.

Then when I get a positive test on Friday that I had flu. She doesn't apologize for acting like a total karen / b*itch. She says nothing more. 

I told my grandma that I'm not telling my mom sh*it when I get sick. She doesn't care. She just wants to play the blame game and stress me out.

I've really started to loath my family. I quit going to family get togethers.

I would put the angry face but I think that's minus reputation points so I'll just say it. That makes me angry 😠😡😤 that your mother would do that. Sounds like she's a harpy type person to begin with (I think all mother's are sometimes), but she should have the decency to admit when she was wrong. Pride is u*gly and hurtful.

Sorry to hear you had the flu and hope you're feeling on the up and up by now.

• Heart 1

No... however I found myself getting a little upset over someone during covid. In my mind I thought, oh so it's serious enough people will take the proper precautions. So this one person I know decides its okay to not wear masks, be in close contact, because "in church covid can't touch you". 😑 Well it did, they're fine now, but brush it off as nothing... 

I have honestly never heard of this happening. But, I'll go with it. 

To shame someone for being sick would be uncalled for and illogical given that most people who get sick do not have a choice in the matter. For example, I went to my mom's house to celebrate the 4th of July. My brother got sick - and, of course I didn't shame him, because he didn't just wake up one day and choose to be obtain an invasive, highly contagious illness. Eventually, my type 1 diabetic boyfriend who was there got extremely sick, and then, inevitably, I got sick too. I didn't know my brother was sick before I went to go see him and my mom, and given that he's little, he doesn't know the concept of personal space, so the second I saw him he was inches away from my face, greeting me with a raspy voice and a runny nose. So, due to unforeseen circ*mstances, I don't really think that being sick is som*thing I or anyone else should be held accountable for.
However, if you get upset at someone for being sick because that person didn't tell you they were sick and you are around them, that's acceptable, because that is extremely inconsiderate. 

Sick Puppy GIF by Simian Reflux

• Heart 1

On 7/10/2021 at 4:45 PM, Schatzi said:

I have honestly never heard of this happening. But, I'll go with it. 

To shame someone for being sick would be uncalled for and illogical given that most people who get sick do not have a choice in the matter. For example, I went to my mom's house to celebrate the 4th of July. My brother got sick - and, of course I didn't shame him, because he didn't just wake up one day and choose to be obtain an invasive, highly contagious illness. Eventually, my type 1 diabetic boyfriend who was there got extremely sick, and then, inevitably, I got sick too. I didn't know my brother was sick before I went to go see him and my mom, and given that he's little, he doesn't know the concept of personal space, so the second I saw him he was inches away from my face, greeting me with a raspy voice and a runny nose. So, due to unforeseen circ*mstances, I don't really think that being sick is som*thing I or anyone else should be held accountable for.
However, if you get upset at someone for being sick because that person didn't tell you they were sick and you are around them, that's acceptable, because that is extremely inconsiderate.

To elaborate on my last statement, my mother could have told me my little brother was sick. However, she didn't. So, she was the one to blame. Not my brother, of course, because he is only a ch*ld. Just thought I should clear that up. 

Sick Puppy GIF by Simian Reflux

• Elites

I’ve seen quite a bit of covid shaming but you can take all the precautions you can and s***t happens. You can’t help that you still have to do life just bc it’s going around. No it’s not ok.

• Heart 1