What Can I Do For A Broken Rib

Posted (edited)

On a serious note, physical, does anyone know what’s good for a broken rib? *accident* happened couple weeks ago. And I recently just crushed my hand in the garage door *by recent I mean this morning for me* accident* *not looking for sympathy* was wondering how long I should ice it or what to wrap it with? Doesn’t hurt too bad. Sorry if this isn’t relevant? And any feedback I appreciate from any one 🙂 thank you 

Edited by Steff

It's okay. Your post is far from irrelevant. You're hurt. That's cause for concern. 

Have you seen a doctor yet? 

If not. Do that first. 

I'm not a medical physician. So I can't give medical advise. But I did look up some stuff. I don't know if it'll help. 

In most cases, a broken rib will heal on its own. You can take pain medicine while the rib mends. Pain relief allows you to take deep breaths. In the past, doctors recommended taping or wrapping broken ribs. This is no longer done because taping makes it hard for you to take deep breaths. Taking deep breaths may help prevent pneumonia or a partial collapse of a lung.

Your rib will heal in about 6 weeks.

https://myhealth.alberta.ca/Health/aftercareinformation/pages/conditions.aspx?hwid=uf8278

• Heart 1

Hi thank you so much I appreciate it. Sometimes I don’t like looking this stuff on my own. I do and considered planning a doctors visit it’s just that my tolerance to pain is high ? I think cause I mean that physical pain is deal-able for me. Even have my own first aid kit. I have broken them before by riding six flags Superman ride in the past *silly joke* I have been trying to find the right products to wrap them so it’s more comfortable I can say I took a rest from swimming, and it’s been about a week? My ribs I mean since they sprained or whatever.. so hopefully they are all healed soon. 

Thank you for the advice, 🙂

I can vouch that Charlie horses *don’t know why they call them that* hurt so bad. Also another word for muscle cramps in the leg.

The only research I know second nature from that is taking more magnesium and exercising more often. 

Thanks again as well for the advice. It is a sigh of relief to know there are nice people out there =] *another silly joke* *I silently laughed*
=]

3 hours ago, Onision said:

Go to the hospital!

Hey Onision

That means so much to hear you say that.

As far as my fingers?

My mom was right there she was going to close the garage door. I offered to willingly. I just was caught off guard, tried to be patient and focus. Wasn’t stressed so as soon as my fingers slipped in I had a fast reflux and slipped them out quickly. I CAN say I screamed when it happened and cried. Grabbed an ice pack and took motrin. Pain all gone! 🙂 

2 hours ago, Steff said:

Hi thank you so much I appreciate it. Sometimes I don’t like looking this stuff on my own. I do and considered planning a doctors visit it’s just that my tolerance to pain is high ? I think cause I mean that physical pain is deal-able for me. Even have my own first aid kit. I have broken them before by riding six flags Superman ride in the past *silly joke* I have been trying to find the right products to wrap them so it’s more comfortable I can say I took a rest from swimming, and it’s been about a week? My ribs I mean since they sprained or whatever.. so hopefully they are all healed soon. 

I'm glad you're not severely hurt then. I feel fortunate that I've never been hurt badly like you have. I wish I had a high tolerance for pain. Honestly wished I felt no pain. That'd be cool. But people say you'd hurt yourself more if you couldn't feel it and that's your bodies way of saying "Stop or you're gonna wreck yourself!" Most of the time of I stub my toe or jam my finger or slip and fall down. I just try to walk the pain off. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, t*rminated said:

I'm glad you're not severely hurt then. I feel fortunate that I've never been hurt badly like you have. I wish I had a high tolerance for pain. Honestly wished I felt no pain. That'd be cool. But people say you'd hurt yourself more if you couldn't feel it and that's your bodies way of saying "Stop or you're gonna wreck yourself!" Most of the time of I stub my toe or jam my finger or slip and fall down. I just try to walk the pain off. 

Yes I agree with mostly everything you said. Sometimes stress and distractions get in the way of that. I mean physically as well as mentally. And thank you for your concern and advice once again. I mean high tolerance for pain meaning that I just try to deal with it best as I can just how it works for me I suppose. And everyone does it in their own way. Overall it’s important to take care of physical and mental health for anyone. *mainly a self reflection, writers block is definitely real* 

=]

Edited by Steff