How To Help With Depression & Anxiety

Admin

If you're depressed or very mentally unwell, what do you do to help yourself?

Som*thing I try to do is hop in the shower and stay for a while... I also find sleep can help... if ya can't sleep, I find playing video games or watching som*thing can help distract you from the low point (as a lot of times it's just a chemical issue, and you just gotta ride it out... not always though) ~

Anyway, got any tips for people who are struggling mentally?

• Heart 3

Chemical depression can usually be treated with diet and maybe some natural supplements. Situational depression is self explanatory and will usually dissipate once whatever the situation is gets better.

I find that therapy helps. A lot of people knock it, but sometimes it feels good to unload all your crap you can't tell anyone else. They probably don't care and have a legal obligation to keep their mouth shut.

If therapy is not your thing, then writing down all the stuff you're feeling can help too. It's an outlet because holding it all in only makes the depression worse.

Personally, I distract myself, which is probably not very healthy because I'm not actually dealing with anything. I throw myself into work because I'm a workaholic. It's a productive distraction that makes me feel better.

I try grounding a lot. My cat of 11 years pays a lot of attention to me. He'll cuddle up next to me when I'm having a tough time, let me pet him more. Going to a different location to focus on one thing.

It's very hard for me to sleep because I wake up in panic mode, or because of a flash back. 

Distraction has always been key for me. I also had to learn about scheduling and marking things off. Eat. Brush hair. Brush teeth. Do this/that. Meds if I am prescribed at certain times. Water. Stretching with yoga. Shower. Check in with people close... 

Keep helpful numbers nearby.

Breathing techniques.

Eating healthy and staying hydrated. 

Go to therapy even when you want to cancel...

It's ongoing. But I keep trying. I've had bad days that could've been much worse if I didn't learn what I did.

• Heart 2

• Elites

I have a close friend that has bipolar d*****r what works for her is listening to music,taking walks. Just somebody’s company immediately calmed her down. If you know someone who’s struggling remind them how important they are to you.  I’ve had my moments of weakness and i start running for at least 45 minutes it releases my endorphins which helps me feel a lot better

• Heart 1
  • Star 1

Hey, my name is James, I’m 24. I lost my dad to s******e when I was 4 and my mother and sister both got lost in d***s and my half brother in p*****n for d***s… I survived some how… I survived . That doesn’t mean I didn’t have my ups and downs, my struggles in life, my lacking in emotional development. Google Melanie Eissler, placerville Ca, and you’ll see what d***s will do to you… if anyone is struggling or if anyone feels alone in the world, you are not! There’s people out here who know pain, and know how to survive it, please reach out.  We all deserve a chance at happiness. I recently learned to start celebrating the small achievements in life !

• Star 1

I suffered from mental unwellness from marrying into a bad relationship. Her family was horrible. 

I saw therapists and councillors. I got on strong m******n to help me relax and help me deal with the bullsh*t.

I found that solving the issue head on was a solution. A divorce solved most of those problems. 

I no longer needed the m******n or a the talk of therapists. 

I was very much improved.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Onision said:

If you're depressed or very mentally unwell, what do you do to help yourself?

Som*thing I try to do is hop in the shower and stay for a while... I also find sleep can help... if ya can't sleep, I find playing video games or watching som*thing can help distract you from the low point (as a lot of times it's just a chemical issue, and you just gotta ride it out... not always though) ~

Anyway, got any tips for people who are struggling mentally?

Distract myself with tv or movies or music, sleep, then if I'm doing really bad i take my sleeping m*ds to make me sleep even more. Did that today tbh, being conscious is the worst rn. My depression is mostly the result of chemical imbalance so these fixes are always temporary and there is no escaping it in the end.

• Heart 1

There are things that work for me that are unproductive like sleeping excessively and then things that can help that are productive, like going for a jog or reading a book. Usually I find that the most effective things to do when I'm very sad or overthinking are the things that distract me from life the most. Things that are in the moment and require a lot of attention, so that I am no longer locked in on feeling bad or thinking negative thoughts. 

• Heart 1

I often end up dealing with some depressive issues because of x, y & z, and sometimes out of nowhere. This summer has been particularly difficult in terms of mental health because of depression. Usually, I NEVER feel depressed this frequently, but here we are. So what do I do to feel better? A lot of the times, I will just go and lie down. I'll look at my phone or fall asleep. Also, spending sometime outside in the sun and absorbing the heat is awesome for a plethora of mental health issues, including anxiety, which I also deal with on a daily basis. I don't know what it is, but doing this has changed my life. 
Also, writing in my journal and being fully transparent with how I feel helps.

Moreover, here are some other small things that have made my worst days a little brighter that I'd like to suggest. 🙂 

Reach out to friends, family, or whoever is willing to effectively listen. 
Go take a shower.
I know this sounds strange, but change your outfit. A change of clothes you feel confident/comfy in is self care in a way I can't explain. 
Open the windows and let some fresh air/light in. 
Clean/organize just one small thing in your room.
Eat som*thing you love.  
Go driving.
Hug/pet your cat or dog. Your SO. 

Hope these help!  

Branding Sunshine GIF by Grab Essentials Indonesia

Personally, it’s always sleep for me (if I can), because I can escape from my emotions and thoughts.. I tend to feel better when I wake up, as long as I don’t have a bad dream, if I do, I’ll wake up feeling a bit upset. I know it sounds really silly because it’s just a dream, lol.

I find that when I'm depressed, there's som*thing I'm not addressing in my life. I have bad C-PTSD and struggle with coping. I mentally shut down still at times. 

The worst thing for mental illness is the lies we tell ourselves. Maybe it's that we are u**y, or stupid. Maybe it's that an ab**ive person in your life really cares about you, when deep down you know they bring you nothing but sadness and misery.  Maybe it's that you altered the narrative of your life to put yourself in a better light, and need to rectify a situation. Maybe it's that som*thing that happened to you didn't really happen to you in order to cope with the past ab**e. For me, I mentally shut down and watch videos or read books or paint, and thought it was fine to mentally check out because I couldn't handle things. but i needed to look at  what i was really doing. And the WHAT was that I told myself a lie. I told myself I was too weak to handle anything. That was just this ab**ed object that couldn't cope. I've come to realize that was bulls***t. Absolute bulls***t. 

You are capable. You are stronger than you realize. You are worth... SO MUCH!!! more than you think. And you CAN get up, call a friend, make plans to get a coffee, take a walk. You can find your way out of this. You can Do the Thing.  For me, the ab**e started young, 4 years old. And continued til i was 12. My psychiatrist explained to me that my brain didn't get a chance to burn normal happy pathways, so he put me on an antidepressant to bring my brain up, burn some happy pathways, and then brought me down to no antidepressants. I cannot tell you what that did for my perspective. I know greg isnt thrilled about med*cations, but it saved my life. So talking to a psychiatrist is a good step. 20 dollars online and you can get one to hear you out, find a solution. A lot of people don't really need to be on antidepressants or don't want to (which i fully understand-I was the same way, it took me til 40 to finally ask for help and I'm glad i did but wish i had sooner) but there may be a solution like EDMR that could help you as well. 

Lol thank you for coming to my tedtalk. My bad. This is just a subject I'm very passionate about. I don't want others to make the same mistake I did and fear p*******l help if that's what they truly need, and waste half of their lifespan. It truly brings me down that I wasted my youth giving into pain and despair. But we have to remember what's done is done. You have today still. The best time to plant a tree is 10 years ago. The next best time is today. Can't remember who said that but it really resonates with me. 

As for in the moment things: there's nothing that will help depression like breaking out of your routine. Even just brushing your teeth with your other hand or eating in a different spot can push you towards seeing things from a different perspective. I know it sounds ridiculous but try it. If you never take a walk, try it. If you've never tried drawing, try it. Even tracing som*thing you think is pretty can give you a feeling of accomplishment, and its how i taught myself to draw and later paint. Clean one spot in your "depression room" (lol you know what I'm talking about) or bring in fresh flowers or open some curtains. Science has proven just being around green growing things immediately improve our mood. Join a group like this one to find people who suffer the same problems, and listen to what worked for them. It might or might not work for you, but you'll never know until you try. 

And the #1 thing that always always always brings me out of my funk is helping someone in a much worse place than i am. Nothing feels better than making sometimes life better, and in the process realizing your problems aren't that big in the grand scheme of things. 

You got this, babes. 

• Heart 1

I'll usually try to be kind to myself. Run a nice hot bath with some magnesium salts and lavender. Make som*thing to eat from scratch so I feel like I've achieved som*thing (and it's generally healthier than getting a take away). And taking some time to do some mindfulness meditation. 🖤

On 6/27/2021 at 9:38 PM, PoptartBarbie said:

I take sleeping pills when I'm sad . Or just do the shower thing . I will take multiple sometimes . I do have a chemical issue though. And am on medicine and feel this way quite often. 

Yeah maybe that's a bad idea? If you're sad a person should probably be nowhere near pills that could harm them.

Fast And Furious Han Lue GIF by The Fast Saga

• Heart 1

I think the thing that has helped me the most with my mental health is just taking care of myself better. Eating healthy, taking vitamins and / or natural supplements to counteract depression/anxiety, exercising even when I don't feel like it, getting proper sleep. That last one I still struggle with because of my insomnia, but I try. 

I also have to be careful with what I feed my mind with. Everyone's heard the phrase garbage in garbage out, and it's true. If all you do is watch depressing or negative movies, or listen to angry depressing music, then that's what you're feeding your mind with and what your mind will continue to produce. I had to change what I fed my mind with, more positive things to produce positive results.

• Heart 2
  • Star 1

*Sigh* Everyone is different & works differently so I guess we all deal with emotions such as sadness in different ways,.....way over use of the word different oops.

Hm, sometimes for me it is difficult to get out of my serious depressive moments, and when I have moments like that I find that sleeping it off restarts my brain and calms my anxieties. I really try to stray from moments like these even though sometimes I can’t always control them.

I am pretty strong & try to handle my depression as best as I can and stay as strong and happy as I can or I should say grateful I prefer that word.

When I am struggling mentally I find that the following things tend to make me feel better;

Headphones & music, the combination is better when I am feeling up for a walk also. I find that playing my favorite games whether on the phone or PlayStation is a big serotonin booster. Even just laying down in my bed under the tons of fuzzy blankets watching my favorite movie/ or show, this is why I appreciate winter so much too. Showering for some reason washes all my thoughts away probably because the sound of running water is tranquil to me. I find that journaling helps, writing my thoughts down, helps me a lot. Hm, and I really enjoy cooking as sometimes it is difficult for me to eat so when I am cooking my food it makes me happier. I do like making myself look pretty cuz usually I prefer more comfortable clothes , other times my hair just stays in the messy bun 😂🥰 Reading books I seem to enjoy although I prefer reading by the pool, or in the bath tub. 

When my mind races, my anxiety usually goes through the roof, and I do sometimes I believe that I have elevated anxiety which is one of the worst ones, ALTHO, I have gotten stronger over the years and have learned to try to stay as positive and calm as I can even inside my own mind.... some silly habit I have picked up is zoning out and picturing a giant hand slapping the negative thoughts out of my head during these moments *sounds aggressive, sadly works for me though* 

I may have answered a similar post like this previously, felt up for writing... also I can say that for once I slept really good last night. Good as in no sleeping in dribs and drabs, pretty sure I slept through the whole night maybe woke up once was tired enough to fall back asleep though.

Woo hoo for a small accomplishment 🤍

On 6/27/2021 at 10:30 PM, brittniisundae said:

I try grounding a lot. My cat of 11 years pays a lot of attention to me. He'll cuddle up next to me when I'm having a tough time, let me pet him more. Going to a different location to focus on one thing.

It's very hard for me to sleep because I wake up in panic mode, or because of a flash back. 

Distraction has always been key for me. I also had to learn about scheduling and marking things off. Eat. Brush hair. Brush teeth. Do this/that. Meds if I am prescribed at certain times. Water. Stretching with yoga. Shower. Check in with people close... 

Keep helpful numbers nearby.

Breathing techniques.

Eating healthy and staying hydrated. 

Go to therapy even when you want to cancel...

It's ongoing. But I keep trying. I've had bad days that could've been much worse if I didn't learn what I did.

Cat therapy is good therapy to me🤍

I agree too about distractions.... and breathing techniques, for sure! Especially when I am having a panic a**ack.

I have been to therapy, been on med*cations.... been considering and planning going to therapy again even though I do cope exceptionally well I think.

Sure, I am educated enough to know that self medicating is wrong and I do not clarify myself as someone who does that.

I enjoy having a glass of wine every so often and well the importance of moderation. 

It is important to hang onto this so called thing called life, 💕 &&& we got this, and by us I mean all us beautiful strong people 

• Star 1

Idk lately. Things are kinda dark in the world with everything being on fire and such so my regular coping mechs just aren’t cutting it.
Magnesium salt in the bath helps chemically if you need a little boost to the take a bath thing. 

Right now only thing getting me through is trying real hard to find positives. Like really thankful for my fiancé cause I can just go over to his place and become log while he plays a video game and that seems to recharge me for another week. And I’m thankful I have a job so I can try and save and live on my own again. 

Edited by Ghostie