Is Withholding Information Considered Lying?

Leaf_

• Elites

Do you think withholding information is lying? Random Example: someone thinks you’re dating and exclusive but you know you aren’t, you never give an outright yes or no but you don’t imply anything differently. 
like to hear your thoughts.

• Heart 1
  • Blank 1
  • Star 1

I think it's important to answer questions truthfully. It's important to only make truthful statements.

Not volunteering information? I donno... that's up for you to deal with I think.

• Heart 3
  • Star 1

1 hour ago, Leaf_ said:

Do you think withholding information is lying?

It's subjective and it depends on who you're talking to. It depends on the person you're talking to. I believe in lying when it's within reason to me. A great example is that you could lie to protect someone from harm. If someone asks you if they're u gly and they actually are r epugnant. You could tell a tiny lie not to hurt someone's feelings. Maybe that lie boosts their confidence and you made their day. Like I said. Within reason. But as far as lying in relationships or habitually lying about everything. No. Absolutely not. If you do it rarely and within reason. I think that's okay. 

Edited by Terminated
  • Star 1

I think it depends on the situation and in what context just like @t*rminated said. Telling a white lie so as not to hurt someone's feelings or put them down is som*thing I think we all do.

In a situation like you described in your hypothetical situation, I would whole heartedly say that is lying. If you have to ask yourself if you are being dishonest, then you probably are.

I would also say that it is being manipulative. Still speaking in the context of your example here. If you withhold information to get an outcome you desire because you fear the consequences if you were to tell the truth, then you are manipulating the situation to your advantage, whatever it may be.

I always try to place myself in the other person's shoes. Ask yourself what you would want if the roles were reversed and how it would make you feel if someone did the same to you.

Most people would want the whole truth and not to feel mislead...i.e. manipulated.

• Heart 2

On 6/23/2021 at 7:49 PM, OldGreqq said:

Most people would want the whole truth and not to feel mislead...i.e. manipulated.

Me personally. If it's from my significant other. I would want nothing but the truth from them. I spent 11 years being lied  and cheated on by my ex wife. She cheated on me and lied about it after the wedding. She came clean 6 years later and apologized. She obviously felt that It was okay for her to lie and cheat. But if I lied to her. She'd get upset. She was a hypocrite. It was not a good marriage. 

• Star 1

11 hours ago, t*rminated said:

Me personally. If it's from my significant other. I would want nothing but the truth from them.

I totally agree. I am up-front in all my relationships and I don't try to hide anything. I'm also very clear that I have trust issues and that it's best to be brutally honest with me, even if they think I'm going to get mad. I can respect honesty. I cannot respect dishonesty even if I can empathize the reason why they were. Once that trust is broken, no matter how trivial the lie may have been, then I start to wonder what else they've lied about, and then it's just all downhill from there.

• Heart 1

On 6/29/2021 at 10:52 AM, Lilliako said:

I think being honest is the best quality in someone. And if you withhold information from someone, they would have a hard time trusting you in the future. That's my input on it. ❤️ 

We withhold stuff all the time... like for instance when I look at your avatar, one of the thoughts I have is "Why is their mouth open?" but me not telling you that doesn't really matter right? We have tons of things we do not tell each other on a constant basis, so it comes down to opinion - is it your opinion that one thing or another thing should be revealed... does that person really want to know what is on your mind, or would it annoy them?

• Star 1

• Elites
2 hours ago, Onision said:

We withhold stuff all the time... like for instance when I look at your avatar, one of the thoughts I have is "Why is their mouth open?" but me not telling you that doesn't really matter right? We have tons of things we do not tell each other on a constant basis, so it comes down to opinion - is it your opinion that one thing or another thing should be revealed... does that person really want to know what is on your mind, or would it annoy them?

That had nothing to do with what I had said at all, but alright lmao??

3 minutes ago, Lilliako said:

And mentioning my avatar is a poor example. If people just don't want to reveal their faces, they don't have to. It's a simple avatar. That's it. It's not withholding anything, it's just choosing a random *** photo from the internet and feeling comfortable. 

Yes, people withhold info anytime, but my previous point before was that doing so, could effect another's perspective on you and not trust you so much. Please, read my statement better, thanks. 

38 minutes ago, Lilliako said:

And mentioning my avatar is a poor example. If people just don't want to reveal their faces, they don't have to. It's a simple avatar. That's it. It's not withholding anything, it's just choosing a random *** photo from the internet and feeling comfortable. 

Yes, people withhold info anytime, but my previous point before was that doing so, could effect another's perspective on you and not trust you so much. Please, read my statement better, thanks. 

I'm sure he got it. Clear as a bell the first time. He was just using that as an example.

Lets say when my ex wife was pregnant. She put on 300 lbs of weight and became self conscious. When she did ask me about it.

Should I have told her the truth and told her that I found her weight gain absolutely unatt**ctive or should I have presented her with the absolute bullsh*it lie that I did?

Does that make me untrustworthy?

The point is. Sometimes people don't want to or need to hear the truth. Sometimes it it isn't seen as appropriate. 

Should I tell my mother she needs to see a psychiatrist? 

No. It's just going to pi*ss off more people in my family. 

The TRUTH is what we make it.

And for the most part what I think is the truth is some one else think that I'm using that truth to hurt someone's feelings or stir up sh*it. 

Not everyone can handle the truth. Pick and choose your battles.

Edited by Terminated
  • Star 1

I don’t know. My sister never tells us (our family) anything. She hides everything, including if she starts dating someone (she always says they’re just friends and it’s never actually true lol).. she denies for a really long time until it’s obvious. She also got just a new job and didn’t tell anyone, etc. the list goes on.. 😂

Edited by paperandsky

6 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

As mentioned above...it's called "lying by omission".

So, yes.

That’s why I get upset sometimes when people do it (depending on what it is they don’t tell and who they are).

Edited by paperandsky
  • Star 1

14 minutes ago, paperandsky said:

That’s why I get upset sometimes when people do it (depending on what it is they don’t tell and who they are).

That's the big part: "depending on what it is". 

Sometimes people stay silent because they know the hurt it can cause. They're either sparing the person entirely, or waiting until a "better time". Everything isn't as black and white as we'd like.  Everyone that lies by omission isn't a POS.

• Star 1

• Elites

Okay to clarify I’m not talking about unnecessary thoughts. Som*thing that is impactful.. that you know should probably be discussed but you purposely swerve the topic bc most likely their reaction won’t be in your favor or simply bc they won’t like the answer or it’ll make you look bad in someway. Letting someone think som*thing that you know isn’t correct. 
A gray area.

This is a lesser example people might often do without realizing: Imo I rather be told the truth “does this dress flatter me? I kind of like it” Yes or no. Being told “if you like it you should get it”, is the swerve m*thod knowing sure well I look like Barney when I feel like Brittney.

Or you meet someone and they think you are 35 but you are idk 55. They want to have offspring and let that be known throughout the relationship. You never correct them when they say they think you are 35 bc you don’t want to break up. You get married and find out the truth that you’ve went through menopause. You never lied but it’s not also being honest..

• Star 1

• Elites

I think it’s not black and white and it really depends. I think if you are intentionally withholding information and are fully aware of someone else’s expectations, it might not technically be lying- but I sure do think that’s messed up. I’m sure there are situations where it’s not that bad.. but I think honesty is the best policy. For me this includes withholding info. 

• Heart 1

I think it really depends, not exposing your every thought is not lying where as if someone asks you som*thing serious and you only answer half of it and omit other important info that they should or need to know then yes that's lying by omission if that makes sense 

• Heart 1
  • Star 1

3 hours ago, Danny said:

I think it really depends, not exposing your every thought is not lying where as if someone asks you som*thing serious and you only answer half of it and omit other important info that they should or need to know then yes that's lying by omission if that makes sense 

This is how I would put it. Definitely agree. 🌟

• Heart 1

• Elites

Also wanted to add there is no right or wrong answer bc it is a gray area. Like onision said it depends on your morals and what you feel is appropriate to knowledge. 
Really interesting reading everyone’s thoughts.

• Elites

If the information is germane to the situation at hand, then yes. Intentionally omitting information that would allow someone to operate under a false assumption is exactly the same as directly implanting a false idea in the same person's head.

Of course, omitting pointless or superfluous information is som*thing we do all the time, so as not to waste time. But a lie by omission is a specific scenario, and lying of any kind means I won't give someone the time of day. Honesty might be the most admirable trait a person can have.

• Elites

I think you should always be honest. The truth might hurt but at least it’s the truth. The example of someone assuming they are in a relationship with you and you know how they feel but you not confirming it is kind of leading someone on if you don’t feel the same way. Why not just confirm it so the person knows how you feel? I think if more people would just be open and honest then the world might just be a better place. Opinions offend people these days and to me it’s like why? Agree to disagree.  

• Heart 1

I think lying & withholding information are part and parcel of the same thing. If it eventually leads someone to be deceived about som*thing, it's not a good start. 

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, bones said:

By definition, omitting is a form of lying. 

Yes, it is situational. 

But I agree with @Mr.Dawn.

And really. Is it really going to hurt to lie to someone whose already your enemy even though they might not see it that way? 

People like that tend to violate boundaries even when you do tell them the truth. It's not worth it because it's none of their business. They lost the privilege of us telling them unpleasant truths. Now we just give them sweet little lies and tell them what they want to hear so they'll p'iss off & leave us alone.