Struggling To Find Purpose

Admin

So ever since I was in the military I lost my sense of purpose.

I thought my future was decided, and that was my calling in a way… but I lost my will to fight and wanted to end it all as a result of numerous experiences…

At this point I’m just wondering what gives you all purpose? What makes your life worth it?

• Heart 2

9 minutes ago, Onision said:

So ever since I was in the military I lost my sense of purpose.

I thought my future was decided, and that was my calling in a way… but I lost my will to fight and wanted to end it all as a result of numerous experiences…

At this point I’m just wondering what gives you all purpose? What makes your life worth it?

personally my purpose to live past my enemys 

• Heart 2

• Mod

Well I believe we're here for a reason. For me, my family and friends are what make my life worth it and even though I don't really have a plan for my life at the moment, I'm just going with the flow because I want to live life. Life can s*ck, but there are certain things about it that I enjoy and want to keep experiencing the moments that make me happy.

• Heart 3

• Elites

It must’ve been a tough experience but you should think about the things in life that you love. Even if it’s your pets or a good friend. I find that spending some alone time helps me get my mind off of things and the silence feels soothing.My reason to keep living is to see things get better,because times like these are temporary and you’re not alone. Not to mention the world wouldn’t be the same without you! I feel like this some times because people have walked all over me and I have let the wrong people into my life. Some times I feel like I have no purpose either but then I think about what makes ME happy and that’s when things start to feel better

• Heart 3

• Elites

What gives my life meaning is creating memories bc that is the only thing you keep with you your whole life. I don’t give up only for the fact that you take your life but pass your pain to others when you do. Also I guess hope and determination keeps me here bc there has to be more than what I’ve experienced and I will create good experiences for myself and those around me.

Life has taught me that my purpose can't be found in other people, because they will only let you down. It can't be found in things, such as money or even a career, because both can be lost. How many people climb the corporate ladder, achieve fame, or amass a fortune, and are still unhappy? Things and people won't give you purpose; not even our family, friends, or k***s. Everyone and everything will eventually disappoint you because nothing ever turns out the way we expect it to. That's just life.

So what do you do with that? Is everything meaningless? For me, I found my purpose on a spiritual level. Now, I know there's a lot of people who are agnostic/atheist so I won't go into my own personal beliefs, but I will make an all encompassing statement that everyone is capable of having spirituality, regardless of what their views are. Spirituality to me, comes from the inside. It involves self-reflection and inner awareness that is focused on inner growth, which in turn usually results in outward growth. My purpose comes from a personal focus on how I can become a better person. How can I grow and develop? What are things I can work on and change within myself? Inner purpose is what YOU make of it and do with it, and it's not som*thing that can be taken away or torn apart by whatever life throws at you.

I will argue that mankind's greatest purpose is love, and that this is true even more so on an individual level. And I'm not talking about the romantic kind of love. The world these days loses sight of that more and more, and it sickens me how much people are consumed with h ate. Humanity is on a downward spiral because everyone's consumed with h ating more than they are loving, with looking down on others more than lifting them up, with being self-righteously opinionated instead of being open-minded and accepting of all. There is no care or concern for the fellow man anymore. H ating takes so much more energy than selflessly loving one another.

Life without love has no purpose. Love yourself, and if you don't, self-reflect to see why and what you need to change within and work towards that. Love others, even when they may not deserve it. Sorry for the book everyone. I'll end this with my favorite poem that I like to read when I'm losing hope and feeling down.

Desiderata

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons.

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment, it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a c***d of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.

And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be. And whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

~Max Ehrmann - 1927

• Heart 1

On 6/23/2021 at 4:25 PM, Onision said:

I can't get over that someone's response was actually that they just want to live longer than the people they don't like... OMG

star trek GIF

the way I actually do this

nothing in life gives me more pleasure than being able to stay alive just to spite the people who thought i would have died years ago

or the people who’ve doubted me and tried to bring me down

hilarious

• Heart 1

I don't care about having a purpose. I have no beliefs nor do I practice a religion to give me a sense of purpose. I never got that dream career that I day dreamed about as a teenager. All I know is that I was born and that I have aimlessly lived my life. I have failed at many things. I even gave up in school.  I have just waded through my youth and it has been full of failures. All I want is to "try" and enjoy my life and one day d*e like I'm supposed to. There really doesn't seem like much else to it. 

Takes many lifetimes...to learn som*thing you already know....when you realize nothing you agonize over....go through....torturous pain you endure....is crashing upon you...suffocating you...you can stress....coma depression sleep....nothing is going change because your purpose is already known...you my Friend...what your " feeling" is "HEALING". ONCE you realize you cant have things go the way ego...wants....that b**ting your head against the hard wall over and over...makes your head hurt...and RELEASE IT ALL.....EVERYTHING WILL MAKE PERFECT SENSE....PLEASE READ " MATT KHAN" HE explains questions like this....and connects in a way your brain will be overloaded with answers...knowledge....he helps me lots...or if more into silly humor...JP SEARS...pick a topic...he makes everything simple.....IM HERE BECAUSE YOU SENT ME AND NEEDED ME...OR MY WORDS....

MILITARY= WAR....NOONE WINS!

I believe having people you truly love, and who love you back, gives the greatest meaning. Pinning happiness or meaning on a career, money, hobby etc is wobby territory because they aren't always fulfilling and income or jobs can change at any given moment. But sustaining long lasting, meaningful relationships that you trust in is just magic. If you surround yourself with the right people.

It's like I've read before, when you're on your death bed I doubt many will be thinking back on jobs, cars and houses.... it'll be all about the people who gave your life some meaning and joy. 

Edited by Ann
  • Heart 1