Can Guys & Girls Be "Just Friends"?

There's a lot of people on TikTok who insist guys and girls cannot be friends... what do you think?

Let Me Go Love GIF by 3 Doors Down

Examples of people being just friends... like legit:

1. Could have already dated and decided that wasn't for them but are still friends because they value each other on a friend level.

2. Could be gay. Ever think about that? 😛

3. Maybe they grew up together so they feel like brother and sister?

4. Maybe literally one just isn't attracted to anyone you know? Like they have no drive?

5. Maybe one of the friends is really really unattractive to the other person?

There's a lot of reasons why...

Like there's a whole name for people who are friends forever:

Rejected Friend Zone GIF by Jack Harlow

• Heart 2

Guys and girls can definitely be just friends sometimes girls get on with guys more often because most girls like to start drama and it's sometimes difficult to come across girls that don't like to start up drama. Also it could be difficult for some to find the same gender that enjoy the same interests. Honestly the guys can't be friends with girls concept is very flawd and dumb in my opinion 

• Heart 1

Guys and girls can be friends, it's just that some people don't agree with that because they think over time guys and girls that are friends will develop feelings with each other but that's not always the case. I have a few guys friends and we have serious vibes, good moments, real talks and I knew them for 7 years and we never had a romantic interest with each other, now if they like someone or want to move forward with a girl then they come to me for relationship advice and I help out and see how they can stay close with each other,  I try not to communicate that much with them because I don't want their girlfriend to feel a certain way about me and I'm not that type of person to get in someone's way 

• Elites

My thing is if someone was to cheat, why would you be with them? If you feel the person is untrust worthy, why be with them? If it’s everyone else you can’t trust with your partner, why are you so insecure/ wtf happened that you view the world that way? You shouldn’t control who people can talk to period. I’ve dated someone who was like that and bc of my ***uality I wasn’t allowed to speak to anyone oof

i currently have friends that we both have mutual attraction for each other but we still wouldn’t date or mess around bc it’s just not like that

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, stopallhate said:

Mkay.

So.

While I am going to try tackling this as politely as my ptsd will allow after being triggered, I just have to respond. - #1 

#2 - It is not the best idea to give a guy relationship advice, especially at a certain point in their relationship, regardless of what you think your intentions are. Maybe you could try staying out of it. 🙂 The reason being, if he’s going to a stray for relationship issues that should be brought up and resolved within said relationship, it is not your place to get involved. That literally always creates a wedge between the couple. 😄 

Your right that is more appropriate

I'm bis*xual so for me it is the same be friends with a girl. 

I almost have only guys as friends. I find most girls so dramatic. My girly friends are like me more a guy but still a girl or they are emo/ goth/ alternative/ metal heads so yeah. 

I can understand it. Because I have 2 best friends for more then 10 years both guys are in love with me. Its fine for me I'm not in love with them they know that 

• Star 1

14 minutes ago, cool.dus.niet said:

I'm bis*xual so for me it is the same be friends with a girl. 

I almost have only guys as friends. I find most girls so dramatic. My girly friends are like me more a guy but still a girl or they are emo/ goth/ alternative/ metal heads so yeah. 

I can understand it. Because I have 2 best friends for more then 10 years both guys are in love with me. Its fine for me I'm not in love with them they know that 

Okay, so I use to be the same way. Hang out with only guys because I related to them more on most topics. Here's the catch 22.... You start dating someone and since all your friends are dudes they ask you 'hey, I would appreciate and feel more comfortable if you didn't hang with your guy friends in such intimate settings' (example going over to their house late 'just because') - If I'm respecting the person I'm with I'll abide by it no questions asked because I'm old skool and then you realize you have no real friends around you anymore (it sucks but). The person you're with not only gets any extra time I have (which is the way I feel it's supposed to be) - which is not much at all these days...but that's what being in a relationship is - you sacrifice for the long term. 

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Minty said:

Your right that is more appropriate

I should have worded it differently cuz what i said at the end did seem off. Through out my life I only had one of my guy friend come to me about his situation before he actually decided to be in a relationship but I really didn't give that much advice ,  he said if she still interested in someone else then he's not going to get caught up in that situation. I already know that if my friend is in a relationship I'm not going to be in their business , if they have problems that's their situation, but if they want some advice before hand depending on the situation then I'll put my two senses together and help out little . Just wanted to clarify that 🍓

Edited by Minty

• Elites

Friendships aren't determined by gender, but I've definitely lost contact with comrades whose gfs didn't like me. Both those friendships were intimate from time to time and I believe the gfs got territorial. One of those friends is now back in my life, which elates me. However i still miss my buddy Bananakin-- we were extremely close. 

• Elites
23 hours ago, alex said:

“Bananakin?” That’s an interesting name… Pretty cool! 😄

Yeah that's my buddy. Miss his ass. After i moved, we used to meet up in Saint Denis in Red **** 2 and play cards and get in lasso fights and battle in pvp.

On 5/17/2021 at 1:26 AM, Onision said:

There's a lot of people on TikTok who insist guys and girls cannot be friends... what do you think?

Let Me Go Love GIF by 3 Doors Down

Examples of people being just friends... like legit:

1. Could have already dated and decided that wasn't for them but are still friends because they value each other on a friend level.

2. Could be gay. Ever think about that? 😛

3. Maybe they grew up together so they feel like brother and sister?

4. Maybe literally one just isn't attracted to anyone you know? Like they have no drive?

5. Maybe one of the friends is really really unattractive to the other person?

There's a lot of reasons why...

Like there's a whole name for people who are friends forever:

Rejected Friend Zone GIF by Jack Harlow

Totally agree, I have besties since a lifetime. Sometimes you develop feelings for someone and things can happen if both of them are interesting.

But in general, I have lots of friends, and I feel nothing but a strong friendship, or like what you have said, they feel like family. I have gay friends too, well when we were youngers there were confronted feelings hormones and whatever.

Or simply your not phisically attracted at all. (I found it hard telling someone I am not into them, but, as you get older, you realize it is waaayy easier being honest at first sight than playing games.

I woke up on the frezzzzoneeeeeee and moving on.

• Heart 1

Yes. Men and women can be just friends.

However, you'll just have trouble being friends with the women that you're ***ually attracted to, whom so happens doesn't want to be with you. Really I don't know. I suppose it's possible to be friends with a girl you're totally DTF for. 

i think they absolutely can depending on all the details / specifics discussed on the thread. I have a couple of guy friends that I can have some good chats with. My best friend (a woman) moved long distance and rarely hits me up like she used to.

though being friends with exes in particular is trickier. I'm not friends with any exes anymore. My husband and I were exes at some points before getting married, though. And he has mostly women friends with some guy friends.

• Elites

They can definitely just be friends in my opinion. I actually connect better with men. It’s rare that I draw close to a woman.

I have had a guy tell me that men can’t be just friends with a women, that they truly just find the women att**ctive and would always want som*thing more. I don’t believe that at all. I’m still friends with one of my ex’s and he actually confides in me when it comes to him dating. I’ve been to some of my male friend’s weddings. I have male friends that I consider a brother. I have a lot of gay male friends and I probably vibe with them the most. 

I guess my question is, Do males have to find a female att**ctive to be her friend? 

Yes, of course they can. There is that problem of att**ction sometimes, but not always. It honestly depends on the person I think. Each individual friendship. Sometimes the girl can't handle just being friends, sometimes the guy can't. One person you may not be able to be just friends with, but another person you can. There are no rules when it comes to relationships (friends or otherwise), so I just go with the flow. If a friendship works out, then awesome, I have gained a friend. If another one doesn't, then I take it as a learning experience, and move on.