Should The Internet Be Free For Everyone?

So I feel like there is a way to get free internet other than the library... like... there's gotta be some government program right because there are charities that give foreign countries free internet.

I search for free internet and this is what I got:

How to get no-cost Altice Suddenlink and Altice Optimum internet

New Altice customers can sign up for the Altice Advantage 30 Mbps broadband plan free of charge for 60 days. This offer is available for families with any K–12 or college students in their household and is available for any area that Altice serves, both in the Optimum region and the Suddenlink region. Altice has extended this offer to the end of the school year.1

How to get no-cost HBC Internet

HBC has suspended disconnections due to failure to pay along with waiving late fees. This offer has been extended beyond the original deadline of the FCC pledge, but no end date has been announced.2,3 HBC offers programs for low-income families and is also providing free broadband internet service for two months for eligible low-income households through its Temporary Free Internet Assistance Program (COVID-19). This offer is available for both new and existing residential internet customers in the HBC service area who participate in the following programs:

NSLP (National School Lunch Program)

The Telephone Assistance Program (TAP)

It should be noted, however, that while late fees will be waived, other taxes, fees, and surcharges still apply, so be sure to call HBC for details.

I mean... that's SOm*thING.

I advocate that Internet should be charged like a utility at least; so that kinda covers my view on it. Would be nice if the only price for utilities was the facilitation fee but alas we live in a dystopian nightmare world. 

6 minutes ago, Anna Chandler said:

I advocate that Internet should be charged like a utility at least; so that kinda covers my view on it. Would be nice if the only price for utilities was the facilitation fee but alas we live in a dystopian nightmare world. 

I do not understand… what is the difference between how we charge now vs what you said?

1 hour ago, Onision said:

I do not understand… what is the difference between how we charge now vs what you said?

Forgive me if the explanation isn’t super precise since I’m not like a money expert but as of now internet is billed as a service/ commodity like cable and things like electric and water are utility.

—A utility is supposed to be regulated so that the company supplying it can only charge for the costs of providing it.
That’s kinda why the Texas blizzard power grid disaster was so bad this year on the news. Texas has its own grid and it’s not as carefully watched as the others. Plus they just deregulated it. 
To make money the power company was undercutting the quality of materials they were using to upkeep the grid but charging us like it was normal, and sc****d the money difference off the top. So when the blizzard hit the subpar infrastructure crumpled and it was a huge mess. Plus since the regulations were newly lifted they got to charge us “demand prices” of like $300 an hour. It was insane. Lots of my neighbors are in lawsuits right now from that fighting to not pay the scalper price.  The regulations were supposed to be enforced to ensure proper upkeep of the grid AND protect us from the $300 an hour BS. 

you also need to prove you made reasonable efforts to make the utility available to everyone. Hence why only people waaaaay out in BFE have to do well water and not indoor plumbing. 

—Deregulated services have no such restrictions. You can bill whatever you feel the service is worth. Which is why cable packages are so arbitrary and stupid. And why they can just decide it isn’t worth it to provide it to your area. Internet is billed as a service right now. Which is also why they can throttle your data. There’s no need to provide good internet to anyone but the highest bidder since it isn’t considered a utility.