Have You Ever Made Peace With Enemies?

• Mod

When I was 13, my mom, sister, and I moved into an apartment and my sister met this girl. I didn't like or want to meet her at first because I was jealous my sister was hanging out with her more lol. A little while later, we started to become friends and then were best friends for 15 years. Unfortunately we're not friends anymore but that's life.

• Heart 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was trying to think of someone and I just can't. I'm not the type of person to judge someone from first impressions. I don't become friends or write someone off very quickly. I take some time and study a person before I make a decision internally whether I like them or not. If someone does som*thing I don't like, I try to figure out why they did it or why they are that way. For me, understanding the reason behind people's actions makes them easier to like, even if I don't like the way they act or som*thing they do. 

But I will say that my gut instinct has never proven me wrong. I've learned my lesson with people because I chose to ignore my gut instinct. I still give people the benefit of the doubt when my gut is telling me to stay the h**l away from someone. So I wait, and I watch, and I look for some reason to prove to myself I'm wrong about them. But my gut is never wrong.

I'm an INFJ, which means that I don't really have enemies per se. I just choose to shut people out of my life who hurt or wrong me enough. There's an invisible line that you just don't cross with me, and once you cross it one too many times, then I just shut you out completely. And there's no going back from that, there's no redeeming yourself, no amount of apologies, no grand gestures, that will make a difference. Once I'm done, I'm done. I don't change my mind or go back. So that's the reason why I can't think of a single person who was an enemy turned friend.

I don't think I've really made peace with enemies to the point of becoming friends.

I know people say "forgive & forget" but I prefer to never forgive (back stab me once, you're done) & forget their existence. I don't have a problem with dropping/ghosting people. Billions of people in the world why should I focus on one? Reality is we are all replaceable.

I don’t think I could ever become good friends with a full-on enemy. If i considered them an enemy, there'd have been a reason and that reason would have been serious, because I wouldn't classify them as such unless they deserved it. I guess I'd let go of anger, or forgive over time, but couldn't see myself becoming good friends with an enemy. 

• Star 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, someone that bullied me in high school once messaged me out of the blue to apologize to me, if that counts. We didn’t become friends, she just wanted to apologize and I accepted her apology. I have respect for people that do that, because it seems like it’s rare.