How many languages do you speak?

I can only speak the English tongue. I never bothered actually trying to learn Spanish even though I signed up for a class in high school on it years ago. I ended up dropping the class after only being in there for a few weeks. 

• Heart 1

• Elites
9 minutes ago, SummertimmeSahneh said:

Spanish( my first one) , English(I feel conformable speaking with natives speakers) French ( a bit forgotten) , Norsk( the grammar a little messed up, but I got a nice understanding)

I really like the French language I’ve thought about taking lessons for it

6 minutes ago, t*rminated said:

I can only speak the English tongue. I never bothered actually trying to learn Spanish even though I signed up for a class in high school on it years ago. I ended up dropping the class after only being in there for a few weeks. 

I haven’t tried to learn a language that I wasn’t raised speaking I feel like that can be more difficult 

• Heart 1

13 minutes ago, pinkagaricus said:

I haven’t tried to learn a language that I wasn’t raised speaking I feel like that can be more difficult 

It got really hard. So I just took the easy way out and dropped the class lol. I thought that I was never going to need it in a small English speaking town anyway. The only people who speak Spanish here in town is this family that runs a Mexican restaurant. 

• Elites
12 minutes ago, t*rminated said:

It got really hard. So I just took the easy way out and dropped the class lol. I thought that I was never going to need it in a small English speaking town anyway. The only people who speak Spanish here in town is this family that runs a Mexican restaurant. 

Where I live almost everyone speaks only Spanish so it’s almost like a job requirement here to be bilingual 😂

I only speak English. I took two years of German in highschool and two years of Spanish in college, but of course learning another language is a "use it or lose it" type of skill. I hardly remember anything! I can pick up on a few words if listening to a conversation in either of the two languages, but that's it. I thought German was easier to learn, but Spanish is more prevalent here in America so it makes sense to learn that. 

• Heart 1

• Elites

two, english and french, although french was my first language and i was forced into an english school, so i lost most of my french, but i can understand it well, but speaking it, is a struggle. i still have problems with a few english words, but yeah.

• Heart 1

• Elites
28 minutes ago, OldGreqq said:

I only speak English. I took two years of German in highschool and two years of Spanish in college, but of course learning another language is a "use it or lose it" type of skill. I hardly remember anything! I can pick up on a few words if listening to a conversation in either of the two languages, but that's it. I thought German was easier to learn, but Spanish is more prevalent here in America so it makes sense to learn that. 

I didn’t know you can forget if you don’t keep using it,I always thought German sounds like a hard language to learn though that’s interesting 😮

26 minutes ago, Lilliako said:

two, english and french, although french was my first language and i was forced into an english school, so i lost most of my french, but i can understand it well, but speaking it, is a struggle. i still have problems with a few english words, but yeah.

I heard some of its words are similar to some Spanish words but I could be wrong.It’s good that you still understand it if you ever decide to travel to France 

• Elites
7 minutes ago, pinkagaricus said:

I didn’t know you can forget if you don’t keep using it,I always thought German sounds like a hard language to learn though that’s interesting 😮

I heard some of its words are similar to some Spanish words but I could be wrong.It’s good that you still understand it if you ever decide to travel to France 

oh, i speak quebec french, that's a little different from france french, some of their words are different. but yeah i would LOVE to go to paris, such a beautiful place to tour. ^^ and yes, you are correct, spanish is similar to french, they're unique in their own way 😄

• Heart 1

• Elites
14 minutes ago, Lilliako said:

oh, i speak quebec french, that's a little different from france french, some of their words are different. but yeah i would LOVE to go to paris, such a beautiful place to tour. ^^ and yes, you are correct, spanish is similar to french, they're unique in their own way 😄

I had no idea there was a Quebec French! I thought there was only 1 😅

1 hour ago, pinkagaricus said:

The closest language to English is Dutch, which is a Germanic language, so it's a lot easier than you think.

A couple of examples of things I actually remember:

Guten Morgen = good morning

Dummkopf = quite literally dumb head but is a way of calling someone an idi ot

Scheissekopf = scheisse is s hit and kopf is head so it means s hithead. 😆🤣😂

To me, the words are similar to English, so they're easier to understand. Now you know a little German, haha.

• Heart 1

English and conversational French. I love the French language so much, I force myself to practice every day (duolingo) so I don't forget it. I started learning when I was in 5th grade and never stopped. 

I would love to learn another language like German or Gaelic but it's so much harder to learn a language when you're an adult lol 😔

• Heart 1

• Elites
32 minutes ago, Sierra said:

English and conversational French. I love the French language so much, I force myself to practice every day (duolingo) so I don't forget it. I started learning when I was in 5th grade and never stopped. 

I would love to learn another language like German or Gaelic but it's so much harder to learn a language when you're an adult lol 😔

It is harder as an adult 🙁I know there’s Rosetta Stone for every language but Idk if it’s the best website for that.I’d like to get more into it

7 hours ago, pinkagaricus said:

I really like the French language I’ve thought about taking lessons for it

It is not that hard but you have to invest time, for starting with grammar, adding vocabulary. I got lucky enough I could learn it since I was 10 . And by the age of 13 we could do an exchange with other french students. In high school we spoke both English and French, and it was really helpful. But taking its time, having some subjects half Spanish half English/french.

Then practicing with native speakers.

All of these things were "free" because of the fact that it was just the public school options that you had for secondary.

Then Norsk is more a family thing but my older brother wanted me to learn it so bad, I still got lots of books xD.

Funfact about Norsk , it is a mix between English, french , German.

For example som*thing so simple as "I like eating chocolate" 

Should be said and structured :

"LykE du auspizer xocolade"

let's see lykE du , sound a bit different than I like but there is still, a similarity with English.

then we have the verb "to eat" but conjugated, in English you know the main difference is when you use the third person and you add the s.

in french you have to are the termination "er "to verb "manger" and if we are talking about moi, je manges .

but in Norsk it's similar to french but the opposite, adding er makes it first person present simple .

So we got this beautiful sentence.

another funfact, there is a huuuge amount of people that live in countries near Russia that speak not only Russian but other languages, that are really really difficult to learn. I have friends there and they are all cool. 

• Heart 1

I want to learn other languages, but I feel like it would be more difficult for me as an adult, which bums me out because it makes me feel like I missed my chance.. then again, if I did learn, idk how often I’d use it

• Heart 1

• Elites
15 hours ago, SummertimmeSahneh said:

It is not that hard but you have to invest time, for starting with grammar, adding vocabulary. I got lucky enough I could learn it since I was 10 . And by the age of 13 we could do an exchange with other french students. In high school we spoke both English and French, and it was really helpful. But taking its time, having some subjects half Spanish half English/french.

Then practicing with native speakers.

All of these things were "free" because of the fact that it was just the public school options that you had for secondary.

Then Norsk is more a family thing but my older brother wanted me to learn it so bad, I still got lots of books xD.

Funfact about Norsk , it is a mix between English, french , German.

For example som*thing so simple as "I like eating chocolate" 

Should be said and structured :

"LykE du auspizer xocolade"

let's see lykE du , sound a bit different than I like but there is still, a similarity with English.

then we have the verb "to eat" but conjugated, in English you know the main difference is when you use the third person and you add the s.

in french you have to are the termination "er "to verb "manger" and if we are talking about moi, je manges .

but in Norsk it's similar to french but the opposite, adding er makes it first person present simple .

So we got this beautiful sentence.

another funfact, there is a huuuge amount of people that live in countries near Russia that speak not only Russian but other languages, that are really really difficult to learn. I have friends there and they are all cool. 

That’s interesting i remember in my middle school French class was an elective option but I didn’t see it on the list.I had a friend that took the class I said I’d think about taking it next year but she ended up dropping it because it was too difficult 🤷‍♀️

15 hours ago, paperandsky said:

I want to learn other languages, but I feel like it would be more difficult for me as an adult, which bums me out because it makes me feel like I missed my chance.. then again, if I did learn, idk how often I’d use it

I feel like it’s a lot to remember I’d have to really test my memory skills lol